MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Sure, but it also stands to reason that KSU fans/boosters/admin would be more willing to shell out big bucks after seeing the excitement and success Tang had in year one. They had a down year last season, but he still has proven he can win there. To the extent we are lagging in NIL funds, a big reason is that the current staff hasn't shown they can win or generate momentum and excitement. If Moser had taken us to the Elite 8 in year one, something tells me he would have had more money available for players the next year.
You really go out of your way to look silly at times!!! Tang sucked in year 2...! KSU grossly overpaid for this class...I'm not into that game. Let's see what they do with this class, since Tang is a coaching prophet.

$2MM??!!??!! lol SOrry, but I expect A LOT more than 12 & 6 for that kind of $$!!! This sport is soo effed up right now.

Last edited:
You really go out of your way to look silly at times!!! Tang sucked in year 2...! KSU grossly overpaid for this class...I'm not into that game. Let's see what they do with this class, since Tang is a coaching prophet.

$2MM??!!??!! lol SOrry, but I expect A LOT more than 12 & 6 for that kind of $$!!! This sport is soo effed up right now.
His sucking netted the same conference record that CM Moser produced in what the Moser fans have been pointing to as signs of progress and cause for hope. And I’m sure that even though you’re downplaying their transfer class now, in 9 months when KSU is playing in the tourney and Moser is looking for a new job, you will act like Tang had it easy since they poor, destitute Porter didn’t have the money to compete.

My biggest issue with Cooper is that he is now ANOTHER, relatively highly rated HS recruit that has failed under Moser. We can argue/debate how much an Uzan or Oweh truly failed, but I think we all expected/wanted more. Both are gone. Cooper is gone. Add CJ Noland to that list. Those are all top 100 type prospects that didn't make 3 years in Norman, and under-achieved to varying degrees while at OU and under Moser. That is what is most concerning to me, regardless of the "why" behind it. OU is the type of program that is going to need recruits like that to have success if we're going to have anything that resembles a top 30 program consistently. And under Moser, they haven't (panned out).
This is my biggest concern as well. PM came in saying he wanted players to mature in the program, yet that has proven impossible when they underacheive then leave. He isn't developing them and/or keeping them engaged and happy to be in Norman. So now he building a new roster nearly from the ground up each season which is the exact opposite of what he wanted. I assume he wanted to play to his strengths and now he isn't. I do feel OU should have been in the Tourny the last two years, so that sucks for him and us. Don't leave us sitting on the bubble. OUr (my) expectations are to be a title contender/top 25 team and we're a long ways from that

This is my biggest concern as well. PM came in saying he wanted players to mature in the program, yet that has proven impossible when they underacheive then leave. He isn't developing them and/or keeping them engaged and happy to be in Norman. So now he building a new roster nearly from the ground up each season which is the exact opposite of what he wanted. I assume he wanted to play to his strengths and now he isn't. I do feel OU should have been in the Tourny the last two years, so that sucks for him and us. Don't leave us sitting on the bubble. OUr (my) expectations are to be a title contender/top 25 team and we're a long ways from that
Man I dont agree with most of this. PM has had some great development. Having to rebuild a roster isn’t exclusive to OU and PM. It’s everywhere.

Having to rebuild a roster isn’t exclusive to OU and PM. It’s everywhere.
There are also a lot of examples of programs NOT having to rebuild. I don't know if it's 50/50, but it's certainly not 90/10 (rebuild/retain).

We didn't lose guys because they were so great we couldn't afford them. We lost guys because they wanted to win, or didn't like their teammates, or didn't believe in what PM was trying to do, or didn't think they were being developed.

Last edited:
Man I dont agree with most of this. PM has had some great development. Having to rebuild a roster isn’t exclusive to OU and PM. It’s everywhere.
Pretty sure TEvans posted something at the beginning of portal season showing we’d had the most transfers in and out from the P4 since Moser got here. The way we’ve had to rebuild year over year is absolutely not a good sign. Yes, the portal is here to stay. But we should be able to retain a higher number of players from year to year. Both of those things can be true simultaneously.

Pretty sure TEvans posted something at the beginning of portal season showing we’d had the most transfers in and out from the P4 since Moser got here. The way we’ve had to rebuild year over year is absolutely not a good sign. Yes, the portal is here to stay. But we should be able to retain a higher number of players from year to year. Both of those things can be true simultaneously.
Good take.

I don't post much on this thread because it is mostly the same people regurgitating the same tiresome arguments. While I try to remain optimistic that Coach Moser can turn things around, there is no positive way to spin a high number of portal players leaving annually - especially when the primary reason is not getting more money elsewhere.

There seem to be a lot of problems with the men's basketball program, some of which Coach Moser cannot control. Even the years OU had great teams, fan support has always been uneven / inconsistent. Donors at some schools are very supportive of both football and basketball, but OU does not appear to be one of those schools. The administration may not put Coach Moser in a position which he can succeed. Without the financial backing of the administration, competing at a high level is next to impossible.

With the above said, there are things Coach Moser CAN CONTROL. He can create an atmosphere which will allow his assistants to thrive and his players to want to be coached. Is Coach Moser open to suggestions from his staff / players, or is it a "my way or the highway" mentality? Many players are not developing as expected, and the coaching staff obviously has plenty of control over that. I have no idea whether it's a toxic environment from the assistant coaches perspective, but I am certain something is wrong when assistant turnover is high and player departure is high. I can't see Joe C allowing this to continue year after year. Winning cures all, but that winning needs to start taking place in 2024-2025.

I don't post much on this thread because it is mostly the same people regurgitating the same tiresome arguments. While I try to remain optimistic that Coach Moser can turn things around, there is no positive way to spin a high number of portal players leaving annually - especially when the primary reason is not getting more money elsewhere.

There seem to be a lot of problems with the men's basketball program, some of which Coach Moser cannot control. Even the years OU had great teams, fan support has always been uneven / inconsistent. Donors at some schools are very supportive of both football and basketball, but OU does not appear to be one of those schools. The administration may not put Coach Moser in a position which he can succeed. Without the financial backing of the administration, competing at a high level is next to impossible.

With the above said, there are things Coach Moser CAN CONTROL. He can create an atmosphere which will allow his assistants to thrive and his players to want to be coached. Is Coach Moser open to suggestions from his staff / players, or is it a "my way or the highway" mentality? Many players are not developing as expected, and the coaching staff obviously has plenty of control over that. I have no idea whether it's a toxic environment from the assistant coaches perspective, but I am certain something is wrong when assistant turnover is high and player departure is high. I can't see Joe C allowing this to continue year after year. Winning cures all, but that winning needs to start taking place in 2024-2025.
Back to asst turnover ?

Everyone of them got a promotion except the old man who had family problems that got fired.

💯 have to win or it’s over

Right on man 🤡. Boomer

Yes, one more list where the writer couldn't be bothered to tell the whole story. If he feels the players Moser brought in are less talented than the ones he lost, he should include that. My guess is he didn't bother to dig deep enough to be address our incoming guys one way or the other.

To be clear, I'm not saying Moser did replace the departing guys with equal or better talent. But it's just lazy reporting to cite guys who left without even mentioning their replacements. I wonder how much he saw Oweh and Uzan in action last season. My guess is not very much--his description of each doesn't suggest he's terribly familiar with how their seasons went.

Edit: I'm on record as saying we'll be sorry both Oweh and Uzan left. I expect them both to blossom under new coaching. That list is still a half-assed effort.

Last edited:
Yes, one more list where the writer couldn't be bothered to tell the whole story. If he feels the players Moser brought in are less talented than the ones he lost, he should include that. My guess he didn't bother to dig deep enough to be address our incoming guys one way or the other.

To be clear, I'm not saying Moser did replace the departing guys with equal or better talent. But it's just lazy reporting to cite guys who left without even mentioning their replacements. I wonder how much he saw Oweh and Uzan in action last season. My guess is not very much--his description of each doesn't suggest he's terribly familiar with how their seasons went.

Do you think it’s realistic for him to write several paragraphs on each team? He mentioned several dozen teams among the various categories. Of course it’s going to just be a quick synopsis of each team. Pretty telling, though, that of the 16 teams listed as losers, we were the second team listed. I think that says plenty about how he thinks we did.

As for Oweh and Uzan, I’m sure he knows plenty about them. And I’d guess he thinks they are much better than the guys coming in, and that he expects them both to have better seasons under better coaching.

As for Oweh and Uzan, I’m sure he knows plenty about them. And I’d guess he thinks they are much better than the guys coming in, and that he expects them both to have better seasons under better coaching.
Yep. All you need to know about those two are that they are playing for Houston and Kentucky now.

Back