MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Arguably is the key word there. He played 12 minutes, scored three points and grabbed four rebounds, and correct me if I'm wrong, but OU was trailing by 15 or more for the majority of his minutes.

You've been touting him all season based on nothing but his recruiting rankings, so, with respect, I'll need see more than your endorsement to be fully sold on him. I'll be very happy if and when he starts living up to the hype, but he's not come close to doing so thus far.
His four boards in 12 minutes are more than Oweh averaged on the season despite starting 25+ games. And your opinion that he didn’t do anything to earn playing time is based on your belief that Moser is infallible when it comes to deciding who plays.

The Oweh situation is so weird. Why did Moser even recruit him? He was obviously a little bit of a project coming out of high school but it was clear he would excel in a really fast paced offense. But that’s not what Moser wants. Even when he’s got the dudes who can do it.

By the time Owen is a senior we will be wishing he stuck it out. But he clearly does not fit in the Moser offense so the loss is not huge.

I think his bad shooting form and lack of basketball IQ will always kind of hinder him. He’ll never be a superstar because of those things.

EDIT: it does suck losing an athlete who we all know would do better if he played in a pressure defense, high temp offense team. Instead we get slow boring offense.
It’s baffling. Much like his decision last offseason to bring in an out-of-shape big while talking about his desire to push the pace.

Mentioned in the last thread. And last year. OU loves this kid.

From Lawrence, KS.

I've seen some Creighton buzz as well.

Not officially in the portal, yet.

1711394483154.png

Last edited:
It's worth remembering that Oweh and Cooper had similar recruiting profiles--both four stars, both ranked between 50th-100th nationally. Oweh saw playing time as a freshman and had many more than 12 solid minutes; Cooper had 12 good minutes as a freshman, in a game that was all but out of reach.

Some say it's the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os--I would suggest that it's both, and Oweh, depending on where he lands and who his coach is, may provide evidence that supports my stance. I'll be very surprised if he's not greatly improved as a junior and senior--a jump most of us agree he wouldn't achieve in Norman. And if he does show that improvement, it will be, in my opinion, a reflection on the guy who's in charge of our Xs and Os.

It's worth remembering that Oweh and Cooper had similar recruiting profiles--both four stars, both ranked between 50th-100th nationally. Oweh saw playing time as a freshman and had many more than 12 solid minutes; Cooper had 12 good minutes as a freshman, in a game that was all but out of reach.

Some say it's the Jimmys and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os--I would suggest that it's both, and Oweh, depending on where he lands and who his coach is, may provide evidence that supports my stance. I'll be very surprised if he's not greatly improved as a junior and senior--a jump most of us agree he wouldn't achieve in Norman. And if he does show that improvement, it will be, in my opinion, a reflection on the guy who's in charge of our Xs and Os.
Oweh was playing behind Jacob Groves. Cooper was playing behind Oweh, Soares and Darthard. I don’t think you can compare the two by freshman PT too much.

His four boards in 12 minutes are more than Oweh averaged on the season despite starting 25+ games. And your opinion that he didn’t do anything to earn playing time is based on your belief that Moser is infallible when it comes to deciding who plays.
If you think I consider Moser infallible, you've not been reading my posts carefully enough. But neither do I consider you infallible. If Cooper were half the player (this season--I'm not saying he won't get there) you continuously insisted he was (based on nothing but recruiting rankings), then even Moser would not have hesitated to play him. Why in the world would he? What possible reason would he have for keeping a valuable contributor on the bench in a season in which his future at OU might well have been in question?

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that Cooper wasn't ready--and the actual evidence, the minutes he played in games--backed up my reasoning. I'm glad he had 12 good minutes in semi-garbage time vs. TCU, but they were virtually his only good 12 minutes of the season.

Oweh was playing behind Jacob Groves. Cooper was playing behind Oweh, Soares and Darthard. I don’t think you can compare the two by freshman PT too much.
I’m more worried about him playing behind Maks (when he was playing mins against KU, not as a backup PG later on when McCollum was out)

If you think I consider Moser infallible, you've not been reading my posts carefully enough. But neither do I consider you infallible. If Cooper were half the player (this season--I'm not saying he won't get there) you continuously insisted he was (based on nothing but recruiting rankings), then even Moser would not have hesitated to play him. Why in the world would he? What possible reason would he have for keeping a valuable contributor on the bench in a season in which his future at OU might well have been in question?

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that Cooper wasn't ready--and the actual evidence, the minutes he played in games--backed up my reasoning. I'm glad he had 12 good minutes in semi-garbage time vs. TCU, but they were virtually his only good 12 minutes of the season.
Because Moser very clearly is reluctant to play a certain type of player, and has a demonstrated history of not using them till too late in the season. I don't think he understands sometimes the upside with young, talented kids is more than worth living with some of the mistakes they will make.

After finding William Kyle III's instagram, I noticed he is friends with TE Kaden Helms...then realized they both graduated from the same high school. I doubt it'll be the reason he'd look at OU but it could help, possibly.

-----

Oweh was playing behind Groves, Bamisile and Noland--all of whom had more D1 experience than Oweh.

Because Moser very clearly is reluctant to play a certain type of player, and has a demonstrated history of not using them till too late in the season. I don't think he understands sometimes the upside with young, talented kids is more than worth living with some of the mistakes they will make.
Could you be more specific about this "certain type of player" and provide other examples of this type that he has recruited to OU? And if he's reluctant to give such players minutes, why does he recruit them? If your theory is correct, I'd say that qualifies as self-destructive behavior on Moser's part. He might be a candidate for therapy.

Something we know already but

an account that DMs me to retweet their stuff....

View attachment 1094
Circling back to this....

the account I'm talking about here, because there are several who ask me to retweet (I'm not cool, the opposite lol), has followed these OU players recently:

Otega ✅
Uzan
Hugley

Could you be more specific about this "certain type of player" and provide other examples of this type that he has recruited to OU? And if he's reluctant to give such players minutes, why does he recruit them? If your theory is correct, I'd say that qualifies as self-destructive behavior on Moser's part. He might be a candidate for therapy.
Marvin Johnson. Oweh as a freshman. Cooper this year. All guys who provided athleticism we needed, especially Johnson and Oweh when the rest of the roster was horribly unathletic. All say the bench in favor of guys with much lower upside who Moser presumably viewed as steadier options due to experience.

Again, I don’t understand why this concept is difficult. How many times in sports have we seen players sit the bench, then get a chance due to injury, and immediately thrive? That isn’t an infrequent occurrence. Presumably, the coaches in those situations also thought they were playing the right person. Yet, they were proven wrong. You keep acting as if I’m suggesting that Moser knew Cooper was the better option but chose not to play him. That’s not what I’m saying. I am suggesting that Moser, like every other coach, dentist, plumber, etc, makes mistakes. And I’ve also been very clear that I’m not suggesting Cooper would have been a savior. What I’ve said repeatedly is that there was truly zero downside to playing him more in our awful noncon slate, and that there was also no risk if we had played him much earlier in some of the conference butt kickings that we absorbed. Had he done those things, maybe he would have been able to really help when Soares was out. Maybe not, but at least we would have known. Instead, he sat, and now we have to hope (a) he doesn’t transfer, and (b) his development wasn’t stunted by not getting valuable experience.

I said Nebraska or Wisconsin for this kid. Obviously, Creighton is the same "vibe".

He was a sophomore. He's developing. Losing a developing young player who is a fantastic athlete and defender in addition to the huge scoring jump he made is NOT a good thing.

23 points, 5 rebounds against #1 seed North Carolina
13 points, 4 rebounds against Iowa
16 points, 4 rebounds against USC
13 points, 3 rebounds against Providence
14 points, 2 rebounds against Arkansas
12 points, 6 rebounds against Kansas
12 points, 10 rebounds against WVU
14 points, 4 rebounds against Cincy
14 points, 6 rebounds against Texas Tech
16 points, 3 rebounds against Oklahoma State
16 points, 4 rebounds against TCU
10 points, 2 rebounds against Texas

No way around it... He's a good player and its a loss for the team if he goes in the portal and doesn't come back. With some marginal improvements into his junior year (which is pretty common) you are talking about a very well rounded player.
I agree. One thing I've learned from watching the Thunder the last few years is that the young kids can improve quite a bit from one year to the next. About the time you are ready to pass on one of them, they show up better the next year. I still think the kid can still be a good player and I wish him well.

It sucks to lose uzan and oweh imo. They are both replaceable in the portal, but I don’t think Moser is the type of coach who will be successful turning over a mostly new roster every year. It is especially concerning to rely on the portal when you have below average NIL.

Back