MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Probably is, I'm meaning he's not a starting 5 on a top half power 5 league team.
I think he could be if used properly, almost like a point forward/center. They essentially used him to initiate their offense and his height and vision and instincts allow him to make up for the lack of athleticism. Would definitely need a good defensive big to help with tough defensive matchups, though.

I absolutely want OU to try with Mark Mitchell (Duke). I'm sure they'd be fighting an uphill battle but still, try.

I'd also think about this kid as well...

He only played 10 minutes for Kentucky this year (RS) but he's a sniper. More of a long-term thought/project though.

HIGH SCHOOL
Averaged 23.6 points and shot better than 40% from 3-point range while helping Linton-Stockton High School to the Class 2A State Finals as a senior … While playing on the Under Armour grassroots circuit prior to his senior season, the three-star prospect shot 45% from deep, averaging 19.8 points per contest.

Thinking about this "losing players to NIL or not" argument I wrote down some thoughts...

YearWhoWhyReplacement?Am I okay with it at the time of departure?
20-2021De'Vion HarmonNew coachJordan GoldwireNot really, I wanted Harmon to stay
20-2021Victor IwuakorNew coachMarvin JohnsonYes
20-2021Brady ManekNew coachEthan ChargoisNo, this one was the roughest one. Especially when LK played him out of position all year.
20-2021Kur KuathNew coachTanner GrovesYes
20-2021Josh O'GarroNew coachJacob GrovesYes
20-2021Alondes WilliamsNew coachMarvin JohnsonYes. No one knew he would be as good as he was. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
21-2022Umoja GibsonPG and NILGrant SherfieldKinda yes, Kinda no. I think he would have been a good piece to have
21-2022Rick IssanzaPTSam GodwinYes
21-2022Alston MasonPTJoe BamisileYes, but not good losing a recruit.
21-2022Akol MaweinPT/WavedYaya KeitaYes
21-2022Elijah HarklessUnclearJacob GrovesI would have liked to have kept Harkless
22-2023Jacob GrovesPTJohn Hugley IVWas losing his spot, didn't fit well with the coach/scheme
22-2023Jalen HillUnhappy/UnclearJalon MooreSucked losing him, but we don’t get Moore with him there. So fine with it, but not a good look for Moser's culture.
22-2023Bijan CortesPT/Grades?Javian McCollumYes, Tarheel may disagree though.
22-2023Joe BamisilePTLe'Tre DarthardYes, just couldn’t grasp the concepts. Solid as a G5 bench player next year
22-2023Benny ShroederPTMaks KlanjscekYes, not much there really
22-2023CJ NolandPTRivaldo SoaresYes, lost starting spot, out of shape.
23-2024Otega OwehRole dimished?Not unhappy to see him go. Yips ultimately doomed him.
23-2024John HugleyNot a fit?Medium, we need a 5. But didn’t fit with Moser. Don’t get why he came here in the first place. Bad eval by Porter.
23-2024Javian McCollumFit?Yes, but medium. Just couldn't handle Big12 play
23-2024Milos UzanFit/Vegas?Didn't cover his gambling debts enough, fine seeing his low effort play leave.

Ultimately did we lose anyone who chased a bag that we were not happy to see go? (Hill, Gibson maybe? Manek would be the bag loss, but I think he was tired of OU moreso than anything with a year to get ready for the pros)

Should we offer more NIL to players to bring in talent that we are not happy to see go?
I bet we lost more of people trying to transfer into OU bc of NIL over anything. Keeping players here seems, not in the same ballpark. I could be wrong.
I am just sketching this out, feel free to discuss.

Played a local NAIA (Langston)...but was at a D1 (NMSU). As the tweet says.

Tulsa or ORU should absolutely be in contact.

Thinking about this "losing players to NIL or not" argument I wrote down some thoughts...

20-2021De'Vion HarmonNew coachJordan GoldwireNot really, I wanted Harmon to stay
20-2021Brady ManekNew coachEthan ChargoisNo, this one was the roughest one. Especially when LK played him out of position all year.
20-2021Alondes WilliamsNew coachMarvin JohnsonYes. No one knew he would be as good as he was. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
21-2022Umoja GibsonPG and NILGrant SherfieldKinda yes, Kinda no. I think he would have been a good piece to have
21-2022Elijah HarklessUnclearJacob GrovesI would have liked to have kept Harkless
22-2023Jacob GrovesPTJohn Hugley IVWas losing his spot, didn't fit well with the coach/scheme
22-2023Jalen HillUnhappy/UnclearJalon MooreSucked losing him, but we don’t get Moore with him there. So fine with it, but not a good look for Moser's culture.
22-2023Joe BamisilePTLe'Tre DarthardYes, just couldn’t grasp the concepts. Solid as a G5 bench player next year
23-2024Otega OwehRole dimished?Not unhappy to see him go. Yips ultimately doomed him.
23-2024John HugleyNot a fit?Medium, we need a 5. But didn’t fit with Moser. Don’t get why he came here in the first place. Bad eval by Porter.
23-2024Milos UzanFit/Vegas?Didn't cover his gambling debts enough, fine seeing his low effort play leave.

Ultimately did we lose anyone who chased a bag that we were not happy to see go? (Hill, Gibson maybe? Manek would be the bag loss, but I think he was tired of OU moreso than anything with a year to get ready for the pros)

Should we offer more NIL to players to bring in talent that we are not happy to see go?
I bet we lost more of people trying to transfer into OU bc of NIL over anything. Keeping players here seems, not in the same ballpark. I could be wrong.
I think Mo was a big, big loss. And Manek, obviously. Alondes blew up after he left, but like you say, no one realistically saw that coming. And it's not like he was playing 5 minutes per game at OU. He got almost 20 mpg his second season, playing behind AR and Harmon. I was more than happy to see Harkless leave because I hated his offensive game with a passion, but it's still a bad sign when the program is losing guys who the coach wants to keep. And I was/am a big Jalen Hill guy. While Moore was great and it "worked out" in that sense, losing core guys like Hill is not a recipe for success.

Los and Oweh -- it depends on how you judge it. Based on how they played this season, I will not miss either of them. But based on what could/should have been? It stings -- they were the two Moser was planning to build around. Guys like that need to develop and become the pillars of your team. The fact that didn't happen is the type of miss that we can't afford. If KU loses a guy or two like that, they can easily bring in a high level portal player or blue chip high schooler. We don't have that luxury, and we all know that Moser is all about trying to build through continuity. That's why all these defections are such a bad sign, even if the players themselves have been underwhelming.

Great chart that puts in into perspective.

So what you're saying is the 19-20 that have entered the portal or transferred already because they don't like Moser, and the 1-2 that entered because of NIL (wink, wink), only a couple that left OU under Moser have been "regrets". Only 2-3, maybe 4, of the 21 who left under Moser have outperformed their time at OU and their replacement at OU.

Maybe not the doom and gloom of people leaving or a big issue with development that some posters seem to beat the drum on every post.

From what I see, more of a deficiency with evaluation than development, coaching, or personality.

Wonder what happened for him to end up at Langston
Good point. I should have researched.

He was part of the whole shooting deal at NMSU. Never mind, probably not a guy TU/ORU will look at. Plus, it looks like he is on probation for a drug offense in Idaho.

Not saying he's a bad kid, don't know, but certainly a couple huge of red flags.

Last edited:
Great chart that puts in into perspective.

So what you're saying is the 19-20 that have entered the portal or transferred already because they don't like Moser, and the 1-2 that entered because of NIL (wink, wink), only a couple that left OU under Moser have been "regrets". Only 2-3, maybe 4, of the 21 who left under Moser have outperformed their time at OU and their replacement at OU.

Maybe not the doom and gloom of people leaving or a big issue with development that some posters seem to beat the drum on every post.

From what I see, more of a deficiency with evaluation than development, coaching, or personality.
But just as you said...shouldn't we be like "WHY IS THIS DUDE LEAVING?! NOOOO!"

Either it is a talent issue, we aren't bringing in the high quality guys...or the high quality guys stay/graduate (Soares, Moore (tbd), who else?) It really isn't that overwhelming on the other side either.

I think Mo was a big, big loss. And Manek, obviously. Alondes blew up after he left, but like you say, no one realistically saw that coming. And it's not like he was playing 5 minutes per game at OU. He got almost 20 mpg his second season, playing behind AR and Harmon. I was more than happy to see Harkless leave because I hated his offensive game with a passion, but it's still a bad sign when the program is losing guys who the coach wants to keep. And I was/am a big Jalen Hill guy. While Moore was great and it "worked out" in that sense, losing core guys like Hill is not a recipe for success.

Los and Oweh -- it depends on how you judge it. Based on how they played this season, I will not miss either of them. But based on what could/should have been? It stings -- they were the two Moser was planning to build around. Guys like that need to develop and become the pillars of your team. The fact that didn't happen is the type of miss that we can't afford. If KU loses a guy or two like that, they can easily bring in a high level portal player or blue chip high schooler. We don't have that luxury, and we all know that Moser is all about trying to build through continuity. That's why all these defections are such a bad sign, even if the players themselves have been underwhelming.
Very well said on Oweh and Los. It is the "What could have been?" that hurts the most there. They have the talent. We saw Oweh flash it in noncon til he yipped it all away. Same with Uzan, he really did show flashes of absolute brilliance penetrating and having body control in the lane. But, that is all they were while here. Some flashes and not consistent enough. Is that bc we are not developing them enough? Or are they maxed out? It really is tough to say, until we see them at their next stop.

Wonder what happened for him to end up at Langston

I’m sure it has to do with the scandal at NMSU. And to my understanding the Langston coach is good with transfers by selling playing style and culture.

He cant hel TU and would just be a gut on the ORU roster.

Last edited:
Pedulla's numbers are accurate.

You caught me though, the Mr Goodscents and Sugars NIL werent real deals either.

To pay Sean Pedulla 300k is crazy. He’s definitely a good player, but not one that is going to take you to the tournament.

That 300k was said about Hughley last year too. I don’t buy it. Neither should you.

Mike Boynton just said OSU had a 500k budget. Now you’re saying Brandon Garrison, an average center is going to take that plus 250k?

With the exception to of Louisville, Ava Tech lost to every ACC bottom dweller. OU is going to fork up 300K for their team leader? Why not split that up between the transferring guys who were just as good or better? Better yet, why not give it to a much better Jalon Moore? That’s because these numbers are inflated.

Last edited:
It's easy to say "no big deal" if a given player leaves, but if we don't get a better player in return from the portal, then it's a problem. Continuity matters less if you're improving your talent with each cycle (and if you're developing your high school recruits). With very few exceptions, neither has proven true under Moser.

Back