Moser denies ND rumors

A standalone thread is better/warranted. I just threw it in that one because I had it open.

Loved his passionate response.

Last edited:
A standalone thread is better/warranted. I just threw it in that one because I had it open.

I appreciate his passion, but not sure I love it. I want him to work as a coach, but I see nothing to hang my hopes upon. Uzan and Oweh were billed as really good players - and they have some promise, but Benny S reminds me of a Matt Freeman who can't shoot. Norweather, who knows.

Just not sure PM's style can do it in Norman, especially if he doesn't win at a really high rate.

Help me believe - I keep saying this and twice a week PM's team suck a little more joy out of me. In fact, I did not watch a minute of the KU game Saturday and I can't recall the last time I missed an entire hoops game. Just too depressing to watch.

I have to admit, his "passion" feels performative to me at this point. He sounds like a coach desperate to keep his job, given whatever interest ND may once have had in him has surely faded at this point.

The passionate speeches, the antics on the sidelines, the quote board (or whatever it's called)--I don't care about any of that and I'm close to resenting it. Just get the best out of the team. If you can't win, at least be competitive, which we are not currently.

We've made the Vegas oddsmakers look like fools of late; 2.5 point underdogs to KU? Think again, fellas.

If he’s saying that publicly, that probably means ND has moved on to other candidates. Nobody is bailing us out of this mess.

Did anyone else find it bizarre and insulting that he said that he is in the early stages of turning a program around?? Is he under the impression he got hired by Northwestern or Nebraska or Washington State? If I were Kruger and I saw that, I’d be beyond angry. He took over a job where making the tournament should have been a baseline expectation. He is turning things around, alright, but not in the right direction.

Good news imo. This is a rebuild, no doubt about it.

It isn’t going smoothly this year, there is no sugar coating it. I still believe that if we keep the best parts of this team together and keep adding multiple top100 players every year, we will be a contender again.

Did anyone else find it bizarre and insulting that he said that he is in the early stages of turning a program around??
No not at all.

The program was not in a good spot under Kruger. And it was an even worst spot when Moser took over due to the talent that left.

Where we were with Kruger is not where this program should be.

I like some things about Moser. But I have not seen any signs of him turning this program around other than toward the wrong direction. Doesn’t mean he can’t eventually get it pointed in the right direction but I have only seen the reverse so far.

The only thing he has going for him right now is that Bama is now AP #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not at all.

The program was not in a good spot under Kruger. And it was an even worst spot when Moser took over due to the talent that left.

Agreed. While we were making the tournament as a bubble team (8-9 seed), it wasn't a sustainable place to have your program. Our conference record since the final four run was 38-51. That's unacceptable. OU was stuck in mediocrity. We we're getting bailed out by having an NBA guard (Trae and Reaves) to cover up poor recruiting, poor coaching, and poor player development. Similar to how all of the flaws with Lincoln's teams were covered up by great QB play.

I do think we should be a bit better than we are now, but I'm fine with a proper rebuild. I think we make the tournament next year.

Last edited:
Turning a program around by getting worse every year?

lol

Look at how recruiting started suffering under Kruger, lol.

Corbin Merritt. Man.

I like Kruger, always will, but I don't care anything about him/his thoughts as it pertains to OU's current program. Not that he's opined (but he was mentioned).

Moser made mistakes in the portal with the Groves. He made mistakes keeping a couple of less evident albatrosses on the roster.

This offseason, he'll either fix those mistakes or he'll be gone after another non-tourney run.

Moser made mistakes in the portal with the Groves. He made mistakes keeping a couple of less evident albatrosses on the roster.

He's made mostly mistakes in the portal, sadly, while some other programs have thrived in large part due to the portal.

This offseason, he'll either fix those mistakes or he'll be gone after another non-tourney run.

Yup, we can go back and forth till the end of time on this board about the state of the program with Lon his last few seasons, the transfer portal, offensive pace, the eFG, etc but it all boils down to this.

I'm impressed he's turned around the HS recruiting so quickly, but he has to win the portal this offseason.

Beginning stages of a rebuild? I’m sorry, but not even Jeff capel used that excuse. That’s all it is, an excuse. Taking years to rebuild in todays game is BS. With the portal, a good recruiter can put together a good team and win within 1-2 years. Other coaches have done it in far worse roster situations at far worse programs than OU. Porter is making excuses. It’s his job to recruit the talent. He’s failed. It’s his job to put a winning product on the court. He’s failed.

Dang. Sounds like he's staying atleast one more year.

This is a genuine question. What if OU wins like 16 or 17 games next year and misses the tourney again? Is that considered progress from this year? Is that still part of the "rebuilding process?" I mean it'll be like four or five more wins than this horrid season. So then does he get another year after next year because OU was close again? How long does it go on? He's really dug himself into a hole with this season. Next year is truly do or die for him. I don't envy him at all. Or Joe C for that matter.

It's like if you hired a contractor to build a deck. You come home one day and it's partly built. Then the next day it's down to a board. Then the contractor tries to tell you he's still building the deck. But going in reverse is not building. That's what this whole situation feels like.

Right. If he does get another year it has to be 20 wins, above .500 in the league, NCAA of course, or hit the road. Just because he's regressed this year doesn't change the fact it's his 3rd year. He wasn't hired to still be mediocre going into his 4th year, that's ridiculous. He needs to make it rain in the portal this offseason then put out a top 20 product.

No not at all.

Thank you! Are we the only ones surprised that OU was not ranked nationally in seven of the ten years Lon Kruger coached at OU?

Let me repeat that. Lon Kruger, arguably one of the best coaches in America, a HOF coach, struggled to put together a nationally ranked basketball team at OU.

I don’t mean to downplay what Lon accomplished at OU! Norman Oklahoma is a tough gig. He did a fantastic job, taking his teams to three straight nationally ranked seasons, one of them a Final Four in 2016.

How tough is it to coach in Norman? One year later, a Lon Kruger coached team finished with a record of 11-20! He completed his career at OU with a record of 19-12 and 16-11.

Dang. Sounds like he's staying atleast one more year.

This is a genuine question. What if OU wins like 16 or 17 games next year and misses the tourney again? Is that considered progress from this year? Is that still part of the "rebuilding process?" I mean it'll be like four or five more wins than this horrid season. So then does he get another year after next year because OU was close again? How long does it go on? He's really dug himself into a hole with this season. Next year is truly do or die for him. I don't envy him at all. Or Joe C for that matter.

It's like if you hired a contractor to build a deck. You come home one day and it's partly built. Then the next day it's down to a board. Then the contractor tries to tell you he's still building the deck. But going in reverse is not building. That's what this whole situation feels like.

Sadly, as long as he signs a couple relatively highly rated recruits, some will want him to stay regardless of the wins and losses. But I think Joe can’t possibly keep him if he misses three straight tournaments. That hasn’t happened in 40+ years and shouldn’t ever happen again.

If he has three seasons of missing the tourney he will be gone.
I don’t mind giving him another season. Sometimes things just don’t work out. Sometimes you hit lighting in a bottle. People are really putting too much stock into what isu and ksu have done this year. It isn’t normal, not even in this age of the portal. Is it possible? Absolutely. Should it be expected to come in right away and elevate the program? No. You have to get things the way you want it and hope you hit on some diamonds in the rough. Unfortunately porter failed. That doesn’t mean he will continue to fail

Back