Moser denies ND rumors

Thank you! Are we the only ones surprised that OU was not ranked nationally in seven of the ten years Lon Kruger coached at OU?

Let me repeat that. Lon Kruger, arguably one of the best coaches in America, a HOF coach, struggled to put together a nationally ranked basketball team at OU.

I don’t mean to downplay what Lon accomplished at OU! Norman Oklahoma is a tough gig. He did a fantastic job, taking his teams to three straight nationally ranked seasons, one of them a Final Four in 2016.

How tough is it to coach in Norman? One year later, a Lon Kruger coached team finished with a record of 11-20! He completed his career at OU with a record of 19-12 and 16-11.

You are right Norman is tough. But I think most OU fans would be happy with being in the bubble. I mean an 8 or 9 seed isn't ideal but it's something. Something to build on. There will be absolutely nothing to build on after this season.

Love him or hate him, Lon was able to consistently do that. And that should be the standard. With or without Moser.

Right. If he does get another year it has to be 20 wins, above .500 in the league, NCAA of course, or hit the road. Just because he's regressed this year doesn't change the fact it's his 3rd year. He wasn't hired to still be mediocre going into his 4th year, that's ridiculous. He needs to make it rain in the portal this offseason then put out a top 20 product.

I agree 100%. And I just don't see that happening. I could see a 17 win season and barely missing the tournament. But then he is right back to where he started.

You are right Norman is tough. But I think most OU fans would be happy with being in the bubble. I mean an 8 or 9 seed isn't ideal but it's something. Something to build on. There will be absolutely nothing to build on after this season.

Love him or hate him, Lon was able to consistently do that. And that should be the standard. With or without Moser.

Lol what? It wasn’t two weeks ago we were in the bubble and people had already thrown in the towel.

Ou fans won’t be happy with a consisten bubble team and they shouldn’t eitger

People need to wrap their mind around Moser being here 4 years minimum, even if we miss the tournament next year. I admit I don’t know his buyout after next year, but I do know he has 4 years guaranteed. We aren’t making any tv revenue next year. Unless some donor pays for the buyout, it won’t be happening imo. If said basketball donor exists, please just start buying players with that money instead of paying to fire someone.

People need to wrap their mind around Moser being here 4 years minimum, even if we miss the tournament next year. I admit I don’t know his buyout after next year, but I do know he has 4 years guaranteed. We aren’t making any tv revenue next year. Unless some donor pays for the buyout, it won’t be happening imo. If said basketball donor exists, please just start buying players with that money instead of paying to fire someone.

Capel was fired after two consecutive awful seasons, and that came on the heels of an Elite Eight season. No way Joe is locked into four bad seasons with Moser, who wouldn’t have any success at OU under his belt.

I think moser is done. Unfortunately, we have to wait until we can afford it to pull the trigger. He’s been a complete failure.

Capel was fired after two consecutive awful seasons, and that came on the heels of an Elite Eight season. No way Joe is locked into four bad seasons with Moser, who wouldn’t have any success at OU under his belt.

The ncaa infractions contributed significantly in that situation. Assuming Moser keeps his nose clean, I would bet just about anything he gets 4 years.

The ncaa infractions contributed significantly in that situation. Assuming Moser keeps his nose clean, I would bet just about anything he gets 4 years.

I’m not so sure. If we don’t look any better next season and miss the tourney again, OU might pull the plug. Moser has been a failure and 3 seasons in a row would be hard to argue him “turning it around”.

I’m not so sure. If we don’t look any better next season and miss the tourney again, OU might pull the plug. Moser has been a failure and 3 seasons in a row would be hard to argue him “turning it around”.

It’s about the money imo. If no donor is forking over the buyout (plus a potential buyout for the next coach), then I don’t see it happening after next year. We will be conservative until we start getting the sec money.

Unless things improve next year with an NCAA bid, Moser will be out. There is no way that OU will have Moser as coach without an NCAA trip ever going into the SEC. OU will be expected to compete in all major sports immediately.

Nothing like wanting a coach fired 1.75 years into his tenure of a rebuild. Plenty of time for him to implement his coaching philosophy, recruiting, and style. smh

Standards are quite high around here.

Nothing like wanting a coach fired 1.75 years into his tenure of a rebuild. Plenty of time for him to implement his coaching philosophy, recruiting, and style. smh

Standards are quite high around here.

Again, you’re falling for his claim that he had to rebuild the program. He didn’t. You’re also ignoring the fact that two years is twice as long as it has taken many other coaches to truly rebuild and thrive … including in the Big 12, which negates the claims that it’s not fair to expect quick success because of the difficulty of the league. And if it takes more than two years to implement a style of play, even though many of your key guys have now played 60 games in your system, that’s a problem. Also … what exactly is our style and philosophy?

That guy couldn't sniff Sampson or Tubbs' jockstrap, so I really don't care what he thinks.

Has nothing to do with that. My point is, Moser is flat wrong when he tries to absolve himself of blame by tricking people into thinking that he was hired for a major reclamation project. It’s a lame move on his part to pass the buck, and it’s a sign of a bad leader to make an excuse like that. And make no mistake, it’s absolutely an excuse, and it’s absolutely not a legitimate one.

It’s about the money imo. If no donor is forking over the buyout (plus a potential buyout for the next coach), then I don’t see it happening after next year. We will be conservative until we start getting the sec money.

I completely agree it’s about the money. That’s why he’s not getting fired this year. That and Joe C would have to admit the hire was a failure. If next year isn’t any better, I think we may indeed fire him. Although I could see him surviving to year 4. It just depends on how bad next season gets.

has nothing to do with that. My point is, moser is flat wrong when he tries to absolve himself of blame by tricking people into thinking that he was hired for a major reclamation project. It’s a lame move on his part to pass the buck, and it’s a sign of a bad leader to make an excuse like that. And make no mistake, it’s absolutely an excuse, and it’s absolutely not a legitimate one.

100%

Again, you’re falling for his claim that he had to rebuild the program. He didn’t. You’re also ignoring the fact that two years is twice as long as it has taken many other coaches to truly rebuild and thrive … including in the Big 12, which negates the claims that it’s not fair to expect quick success because of the difficulty of the league. And if it takes more than two years to implement a style of play, even though many of your key guys have now played 60 games in your system, that’s a problem. Also … what exactly is our style and philosophy?

You are being dishonest with yourself if you don't htink PM had a rebuild.
I've posted numerous times the talent we lost off LK's last team. It was substantial and IMO a complete rebuild.

He inherited:
Hill
Gibson
Harkless
Seacat
Issansa

That's it.

Hill, Gibson, and Harkless are great pieces to build around. They aren't stars by any stretch.

That is a very tough situation to come into. That is a rebuilding situation. Especially considering Manek, Harmon, Reaves, and Alondes were all on LK's last team. It is a complete roster turnover

I am not falling for any claim, I am looking at the facts. Guys were already being recruited out the door. You typically don't see guys portal and come back to the team, very rare. Please, have a look.

You think coaches should only get 1-2 years to rebuild? Yikes...please don't ever be an AD.

4-out, 1 in motion and his 5-out motion. Great space creating offense. I personally love a hi-low post offense, but you don't see that much outside of the BigTen. I don't think we currently have the roster to run that style of offense bc of the Groves Bros. experiment. We will see next year.

You are being dishonest with yourself if you don't htink PM had a rebuild.
I've posted numerous times the talent we lost off LK's last team. It was substantial and IMO a complete rebuild.

He inherited:
Hill
Gibson
Harkless
Seacat
Issansa

That's it.

Hill, Gibson, and Harkless are great pieces to build around. They aren't stars by any stretch.

That is a very tough situation to come into. That is a rebuilding situation. Especially considering Manek, Harmon, Reaves, and Alondes were all on LK's last team. It is a complete roster turnover

Now do KSU. And ISU heading into last year. How about Missouri? If Moser had inherited only Gibson, and the team hadn’t made the tournament in multiple years and had just finished well below .500, that would be equivalent to the situations the two Big 12 schools found themselves in. You keep listing what he inherited as if it was a unique situation. Again, it was BY FAR an easier situation to walk into than other coaches in our league. And you also seem to misunderstand my expectations. No one is suggesting he should have us competing for the national championship this season. It’s absolutely fair, though, to think that we shouldn’t go two years without making the tournament, and that year two shouldn’t see a massive regression. It’s also not unfair to think that we shouldn’t be the only team getting consistently embarrassed by league opponents. Or that we should resemble something more than a high school team with our execution of the fundamentals.

But hey, he sighed two high school kids who may help us by 2025, assuming they stick around and defy the trend of players not improving under his coaching. So sure, let’s give him 10 years or so to really get his system implemented, and maybe he will produce a couple good years like he did at Loyola.

Now do KSU. And ISU heading into last year.

This is all you ever come back with lol. KSU!!!! ISU!!!!
As I said numerous times before...KSU and ISU are outliers. To expect any team to do what they did is unreasonable....unless you have a certain bias already...

Back