Moser denies ND rumors

This is where I am. I would've understood if PM didn't make the tournament the last 2 years if he was truly going the high school route and doing the actual rebuilding. But OU has mostly started 3 portal guys & our main backup big as a portal the past 2 years.

So if you're going the high school route why not keep Gibson, develop Uzan as the future pg, and play Oweh, Schroeder, Cortes, & CJ? Then you could over recruit some people, grab a transfer or 2 to be key guys and develop from there. Then regressing the 2nd season could be a little more understandable since you're playing young guys big minutes. But as it shows, OU is one of the teams that has the most portal transfers, which should lead to more immediate success than long term.

I think Moser should absolutely get a 3rd year, 2 years is not enough. My biggest concern is the lack of development. Getting Sherfield, Bam, Godwin, and Kieta are not upgrades by themselves over what OU lost, but that's on Moser for choosing to replace them with portal guys. If you're going to do that after missing the tournament you need to get better players, duh. But the fact that only 2 returning players (Cortes & Hill) have improved some is concerning. The returning players improvement should have made this team better than last year, not worse.

i understand where you are coming from but PM didn't have time to really recruit high school to OU his first year. He had to go portal and he missed in hind sight

I would have a lot more patience for PM if the team was fundamentally sound, appeared to be well-coached, and his in-game coaching was excellent. None of that seems to be the case. It's not JUST lack of talent.

• Capel has Pitt at 18-7 and is leading candidate for ACC Coach of the Year

• You do know that this is Capel’s fifth season at Pittsburgh and he has not had a winning season until this year including 10 wins and 11 wins the last two seasons and fans wanted him fired at the end of last season right?

He sat at the podium at the end of the season last year and flat said we need better players, throwing his team under the bus. But yes, go ahead and cherry pick the one good season he has had in five years as a way to show that Oklahoma is currently failing with it’s head coach that has had less than two total years on the job.

Everyone feels the same in regards to Moser needs to have a better season next year, but using Capel as an example of looking at former Oklahoma head coaches, having success would not be the route I would take when he has had one winning season in five years at his current school.

Even if LK didn't retire, I'm not so sure things are much better. The bottom was falling out for the program.

If LK stayed we may have had a roster this year of Gibson, Harkless, Hill, Noland, Bijan, Iwuakor, Garang, Mawein? That's garbage too. Obviously how LK recruited the portal is an unknown, but it's no guarantee.

This might be a necessary reset the program needs. Porter may not be the answer, but LK wasn't either if we want to get back to the Sampson/Tubbs days.

Even if LK didn't retire, I'm not so sure things are much better. The bottom was falling out for the program.

If LK stayed we may have had a roster this year of Gibson, Harkless, Hill, Noland, Bijan, Iwuakor, Garang, Mawein? That's garbage too. Obviously how LK recruited the portal is an unknown, but it's no guarantee.

This might be a necessary reset the program needs. Porter may not be the answer, but LK wasn't either if we want to get back to the Sampson/Tubbs days.

2017: awful
2018: lost in first round of tourney
2019: made it to second round
2020: third seed in conference tourney and NCAA lock before covid
2021: second round of NCAA tourney

So, to recap, one atrocious season, followed by four seasons that were frustrating in some ways but also saw us get to the tourney. We weren't necessarily getting better, and that was disappointing, but we were nowhere near "the bottom falling out." If you want to see what that looks like, turn on the TV and watch us play this season. The bottom is falling out faster than a 12 to 6 curveball.

I suspect Lon would have been fine in the portal. Even before the portal, he brought in impact transfers like Reaves, Spangler, and Thomas, and when TY blew up and became a one-and-done, which no one had expected, he managed to bring in a couple guards (Calixte and Reynolds) who were by no means stars, but they served as good enough stopgaps to help us make the tourney.

59 new coaches in 2021-22 season.

Of those I isolated the coaches that coached for decent programs...not ArkPB or Winthrop. So below is the list of those coaches and their results.

Team Current coach Since Rank 2021 Rank 2022 Rank 2023 Improved Since 2021?
Arizona Wildcats, Tommy Lloyd, 29, 17-9, 5, 33-4, 13, 22-4, Yes
Boston College Eagles, Earl Grant, 148, 4-16, 114, 13-20, 192, 12-14, No
Central Michigan Chippewas, Tony Barbee, 281, 7-16, 318, 7-23, 316, 9-16, No
Cincinnati Bearcats, Wes Miller, 116, 12-11, 101, 18-15, 62, 17-9, No
DePaul Blue Demons, Tony Stubblefield, 141, 5-14, 103, 15-16, 141, 9-16, No
George Mason Patriots, Kim English, 142, 13-9, 113, 14-16, 154, 14-12, No
Indiana Hoosiers, Mike Woodson, 50, 12-15, 48, 21-14, 19, 18-7, Yes
Iowa State Cyclones, T. J. Otzelberger, 171, 2-22, 43, 22-13, 18, 16-8, No
Marquette Golden Eagles, Shaka Smart, 83, 13-14, 56, 19-13, 12, 20-6, Yes
Minnesota Golden Gophers, Ben Johnson, 62, 14-15, 109, 13-17, 224, 7-16, Yes
North Carolina Tar Heels, Hubert Davis, 34, 18-11, 16, 29-10, 38, 16-10, No
Oklahoma Sooners, Porter Moser, 39, 16-11, 30, 19-16, 64, 12-13, No
Penn State Nittany Lions, Micah Shrewsberry, 40, 11-14, 88, 14-17, 55, 14-11, No
Texas Longhorns, Chris Beard, 26, 19-8, 15, 22-12, 9, 20-6, No
Texas Tech Red Raiders, Mark Adams, 17, 18-11, 7, 27-10, 63, 14-12, No
UNLV Runnin' Rebels, Kevin Kruger, 176, 12-15, 90, 18-14, 85, 16-9, No
Utah Utes, Craig Smith, 44, 12-13, 122, 11-20, 46, 17-9, No
Utah State Aggies, Ryan Odom, 46, 20-9, 60, 18-16, 42, 19-7, Yes

Essentially, of the 2-year coaches, only 5 of 18 have improved from their 2021 ranking.

Texas is a unique situation with Beard, but they are definitely a "yes" and improved from two years ago.. And I'm a little confused with your conclusions. If you're asking the question is a given team "improved" from 2 years ago (20-21 season) and not from just last year, then you have to include ISU, UNLV, Cincy, and Penn State....but the season still needs to play out. So I count exactly ten of those 18 teams listed above as improved over the 20-21 season.

i understand where you are coming from but PM didn't have time to really recruit high school to OU his first year. He had to go portal and he missed in hind sight

Agreed on the 1st year, had to go to the portal. But the development has been lacking with the returnees & he was worse in the portal this year.

Like someone said, it's not like he's getting everything out of this team. They look disorganized, lack toughness, and aren't competing regularly. Hopefully this fixed and it would be nice if we could see strides the remaining way of this season.

Also, Iowa State is 7-5 right now. they have TUC, KSU, Texas, and baylor left. They may only get 2 more wins (ou and wvu). we will see how it plays out but is 7-11 and 9-9 really something to keep bragging about? If they keep progressing that is great. But if they stay around the middle of the league will you cool off on them? You act like they are a top tier team right now and they aren't. It is quite a feat to go from 0-18 to 9-9 in two years. we will see what htey do going forward

Better than last place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Texas is a unique situation with Beard, but they are definitely a "yes" and improved from two years ago.. And I'm a little confused with your conclusions. If you're asking the question is a given team "improved" from 2 years ago (20-21 season) and not from just last year, then you have to include ISU, UNLV, Cincy, and Penn State....but the season still needs to play out. So I count exactly ten of those 18 teams listed above as improved over the 20-21 season.

Wow, didnt even check my formula. Great catch...let me fix that.

8 Yes,
9 No,
1 Push

Minnesota went from a YES to a NO.

Last edited:
That's the point, you aren't being rational. 1.5 years (of success or failure)isn't long enough to determine if a coach will be successful long term

I don't know how many times a coach has come in an lit the world on fire (Kliff Kingsbury comes to mind) only to watch them falter and prove their successful years were an outlier

Cool. How many times have you seen a coach come in and be THIS bad, then turn it around and have a successful tenure at a school?

That is probably a small number.

Cool. How many times have you seen a coach come in and be THIS bad, then turn it around and have a successful tenure at a school?

i have no idea. I bet there are a lot...especially in a situation like OU was in in losing a lot of talent.

And just to clarify, the season isn't over so these are all assumptions. But if OU lands around 60 in kenpom with one of the tougher schedules in the country and wins over some good teams and close losses over many good teams....I don't consider that "THIS bad". Now if every game here on out is a blowout then yeah that changes. We will see

This season has been bad but last year was not bad at all. Being the first team out of the ncaa tournament in year 1 is a success imo.

Btw, it took Kelvin until his 4th season to make the tournament at Houston. Based on some expectations here, Kelvin would have been fired before he got a chance to coach that 4th year.

We have eyes. We can see all the turnovers, missed shots, bad offense and defense, and the total lack of fundamentals. We can also see the clownlike antics on the sidelines. This has nothing to do with talent. He'll probably get one more year but I'm not sure he deserves it.

We have eyes. We can see all the turnovers, missed shots, bad offense and defense, and the total lack of fundamentals. We can also see the clownlike antics on the sidelines. This has nothing to do with talent. He'll probably get one more year but I'm not sure he deserves it.

I’m not saying it is all talent, but if you can’t even accept that talent is a big part of this failed season you have an internal bias against PM

Weren’t you one that started complaining and wanting him gone after one game this year lol?

I’m not saying it is all talent, but if you can’t even accept that talent is a big part of this failed season you have an internal bias against PM

Weren’t you one that started complaining and wanting him gone after one game this year lol?

Nope, didn't say that. Was I disturbed by the terrible loss? Yes.

I also never said that talent wasn't a big part of it. But he's responsible for the talent, or lack thereof, on this team. If he thought the Groves brothers were the answer then I seriously question his judgment on talent. Especially after all the games Jacob Groves started.

But my point is that even with limited talent the coaching isn't there, as far as I can tell.

This season has been bad but last year was not bad at all. Being the first team out of the ncaa tournament in year 1 is a success imo.

Btw, it took Kelvin until his 4th season to make the tournament at Houston. Based on some expectations here, Kelvin would have been fired before he got a chance to coach that 4th year.

Kelvin took over a MUCH worse team than Moser did. And he took that team over in an era where you couldn't fix issues in the offseason via the Portal.

Kelvin took over in 2014. UH had been to one NCAA Tournament between 1992 and 2014. That isn't in the same stratosphere as the OU program.

Kelvin took over a MUCH worse team than Moser did. And he took that team over in an era where you couldn't fix issues in the offseason via the Portal.

Kelvin took over in 2014. UH had been to one NCAA Tournament between 1992 and 2014. That isn't in the same stratosphere as the OU program.

This

Talent or no talent I've come to the conclusion that the guy just isn't a good head coach. At least he's not a head coach suited for the Big 12 or SEC.

Could he change my mind by the end of the year? It's possible.

Back