Moser denies ND rumors

Kelvin took over a MUCH worse team than Moser did. And he took that team over in an era where you couldn't fix issues in the offseason via the Portal.

Kelvin took over in 2014. UH had been to one NCAA Tournament between 1992 and 2014. That isn't in the same stratosphere as the OU program.

Just to be clear, its OK for a coach to take 4-5 years to implement their system and get the players he wants as long as it isn't at Oklahoma?

Gotcha

y'all are insane

Talent or no talent I've come to the conclusion that the guy just isn't a good head coach. At least he's not a head coach suited for the Big 12 or SEC.

Could he change my mind by the end of the year? It's possible.

Big 12 you are probably right but too early to really tell.
SEC, I think he has shown he can complete just fine with them

Those hoping PM gets fired are going to be disappointed. He gets along with Joe C. very well, has a good attitude and seems not to break any NCAA rules or say anything controversial. He will have a long leash.

Just to be clear, its OK for a coach to take 4-5 years to implement their system and get the players he wants as long as it isn't at Oklahoma?

Gotcha

y'all are insane

Stop acting like every situation is exactly the same. You are making it hard to take you seriously.

Kelvin took over a MUCH worse team than Moser did. And he took that team over in an era where you couldn't fix issues in the offseason via the Portal.

Kelvin took over in 2014. UH had been to one NCAA Tournament between 1992 and 2014. That isn't in the same stratosphere as the OU program.

Houston was a worse program but with a much easier path to the tournament (in a recruiting hotbed, too). It took him 3 full years to field a decent team. That is reasonable timeframe for a rebuild. Porter deserves a similar timeframe.

Houston was a worse program but with a much easier path to the tournament (in a recruiting hotbed, too). It took him 3 full years to field a decent team. That is reasonable timeframe for a rebuild. Porter deserves a similar timeframe.

This is just laugh out loud stuff. Houston was one of the absolute worst jobs in college basketball. Not only had they sucked for three decades, if you think facilities and fan support is bad at OU, check out what Houston was like back then. As far as a path to the tournament, that path had been established for almost 40 years in Norman, with very rare exceptions. The path for Porter was to simply maintain the status quo … that would get you to the tournament. Of course we want more than that, but that’s not the point you just made.

Say what?

They were 17-16 the year before Kelvin took over.

They were 13-19 in Kelvin's first season.

They were 22-10 and 21-11 the next two seasons, Kelvin's second and third seasons. Those aren't "decent teams"? They made the NIT and I imagine they weren't far off the bubble either of those years.

Moser did have a rebuilding project, because our program had fallen off drastically from the Tubbs and Sampson era. Not many of us were satisfied with Lon's tenure post-Buddy. Just because we've gotten worse doesn't mean it wasn't a rebuild.

Many on here pointed to TTU as evidence that you should be successful year one. What about this year? Are we going to change our mind about how good a hire was annually?

This is just laugh out loud stuff. Houston was one of the absolute worst jobs in college basketball. Not only had they sucked for three decades, if you think facilities and fan support is bad at OU, check out what Houston was like back then. As far as a path to the tournament, that path had been established for almost 40 years in Norman, with very rare exceptions. The path for Porter was to simply maintain the status quo … that would get you to the tournament. Of course we want more than that, but that’s not the point you just made.

I’m still waiting for you, Wt to make a fact-based argument. All your “arguments” are based on your opinions. My argument is it took a hall of fame coach 4 seasons to make Houston (a former powerhouse program phi slamma Jamma in arguably the most talent rich region in the country) respectable again. You cannot refute this without making opinionated excuses.

Say what?

They were 17-16 the year before Kelvin took over.

They were 13-19 in Kelvin's first season.

They were 22-10 and 21-11 the next two seasons, Kelvin's second and third seasons. Those aren't "decent teams"? They made the NIT and I imagine they weren't far off the bubble either of those years.

Ok I know you’re just trolling now. Right? Please tell me you’re trolling…

Rebuilding is fine, but at least have your team ready to play every night and playing good fundamental basketball.

Ok I know you’re just trolling now. Right? Please tell me you’re trolling…

Don't get mad at me because you didn't know the facts. Kelvin's impact on that team was VERY visible as early as season 2. They were no more than 1-2 games from Dancing that year.

I’m still waiting for you, Wt to make a fact-based argument. All your “arguments” are based on your opinions. My argument is it took a hall of fame coach 4 seasons to make Houston (a former powerhouse program phi slamma Jamma in arguably the most talent rich region in the country) respectable again. You cannot refute this without making opinionated excuses.

FACTS

The four years for OU immediately before Moser took the job saw four NCAA bids (including the one we had locked up before COVID) and a 73-51 record. The four years before Kelvin took over Houston, they went 64-62 and peaked with a lone appearance in the CBI (who among us doesn't remember their run to the CBI quarters in 2013?). Going back further, they had made one NCAA appearance since 1992. Do you need the facts to show you we made slightly more than one tourney in the 20 years before Moser arrived?

The fact you bring up Phi Slamma Jamma is hysterical. I guess by that logic, San Francisco is a desirable job because man were they good in the Bill Russell days. They also are in California, so finding players should be easy.

Also -- Kelvin had them in the NIT in years two and three. That isn't merely respectable, it's a damn miracle given the state of their program when he arrived. With better resources, better talent, and a better conference, Moser won't make the NIT in year two if you spot him the N and the I.

Stop acting like every situation is exactly the same. You are making it hard to take you seriously.

actually that is what I've been saying the last couple of months. Every situation is different. Thank you for agreeing with that premise

Many on here pointed to TTU as evidence that you should be successful year one. What about this year? Are we going to change our mind about how good a hire was annually?

it's just a product of the culture we live in.

Don't get mad at me because you didn't know the facts. Kelvin's impact on that team was VERY visible as early as season 2. They were no more than 1-2 games from Dancing that year.

I’m not mad at all just bringing facts to the discussion like usual.

You just provided more excuses based on your opinion.

Fact is Kelvin went to 1 NCAA tournament in 4 years at Houston. Good thing Houston admin knew what a rebuild looks like and didn’t set unrealistic expectations.

I’m not mad at all just bringing facts to the discussion like usual.

You just provided more excuses based on your opinion.

Fact is Kelvin went to 1 NCAA tournament in 4 years at Houston. Good thing Houston admin knew what a rebuild looks like and didn’t set unrealistic expectations.

Fact - Not all situations are the same, and expectations shouldn't be the same.

Fact - You finding one example of something happening doesn't mean it should be applied across the board to all other situations.

Fact - Not all situations are the same, and expectations shouldn't be the same.

Fact - You finding one example of something happening doesn't mean it should be applied across the board to all other situations.

A few of the posters on this board need to reread this because they seem to think all situations are the same and OU should be able to turn around a program in one year like KSU and ISU

A few of the posters on this board need to reread this because they seem to think all situations are the same and OU should be able to turn around a program in one year like KSU and ISU

You sure post a lot in your message board retirement. Dare I suggest that your goodbye post was performance art and that you knew all along that you would be back after a few days?

You sure post a lot in your message board retirement. Dare I suggest that your goodbye post was performance art and that you knew all along that you would be back after a few days?

You can suggest whatever you want to avoid the points being made:ez-laugh:

Back