Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

Just wait until Coachtalk gets back here, lol.

Just wait until Coachtalk gets back here, lol.

No question CoachTalk has the inside story of what's going on with HS basketball in Oklahoma. I'm looking forward to reading what he has to say.

it's likely not bizarre at all. As a high school teacher, i think the story from the press release sounds quite legitimate. Taxpayers don't pay us. His private lessons will.

He never really let on that he would be at Mustang much after his son graduated. There's rumor of an out of state trip the administration shot down. Terry's a good man and has represented the school the way you want. I don't care for how he's leaving, but it was not a surprise.

Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!

Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!

This is complete BS. Terry's very well liked in the community.

It's not, but I'd expect you to disagree you always have. I stand by what I said.

I'm fairly good friends with quite a few administrators at Mustang. Lived here all my life. I'd say I have a pretty good feel for our community and the school administration.

BTW, text one of my best friends who's at the upper level of the district. Said no issues at all..."just peaced out".

Dude is privy to the highest level of info in the district. Take that for what it is worth.

Not going to argue. I've said what was asked of me.

Hated the way he treated HS basketball like his own AAU team.

Why wait until the first day of basketball practice to quit?

From the outside looking in and not knowing any behind the scenes info, it appears he has no loyalty to the kids he coaches or school he represents.

Unfortunately, that is the AAU basketball mentality that is too prevalent today.

The Guthrie girls coached stepped down last week as well citing the same reasons.

HE has said all along that he was done after last year. The shock was that he stayed around so long, most thought he was going somewhere to coach his daughter.

Have heard from several people that parents went to the school board also. I don't know if that is true, just what I heard.

Heard from others there was no way he was going to stick around and coach what was left in Mustang and the fact that he couldn't get Marvin and Carlos pretty much ended it.

The only person who really knows is Terry and his story is the money issue. I will say there will be more and more people get out of teaching and coaching at the current pay. Getting 6-8,000 for the time doesn't really do much for a coach. In basketball you really need to make money on your summer camp.

Mustang will be down this year, I wonder if coaches take their frustration out on the team now that Terry is no longer coaching.

HE has said all along that he was done after last year. The shock was that he stayed around so long, most thought he was going somewhere to coach his daughter.

Have heard from several people that parents went to the school board also. I don't know if that is true, just what I heard.

Heard from others there was no way he was going to stick around and coach what was left in Mustang and the fact that he couldn't get Marvin and Carlos pretty much ended it.

The only person who really knows is Terry and his story is the money issue. I will say there will be more and more people get out of teaching and coaching at the current pay. Getting 6-8,000 for the time doesn't really do much for a coach. In basketball you really need to make money on your summer camp.

Mustang will be down this year, I wonder if coaches take their frustration out on the team now that Terry is no longer coaching.

That's fair and I'd guess they will be down, but let's not act like they weren't at least somewhat competitive prior to him coming. Two years prior to his getting there Mustang was ranked 1 or 2 fairly late in the year.

Last edited:
BTW, there was a segment of parents of kids "not good at basketball" that dislike Terry. That's not something he can control.

Back