Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

BTW, there was a segment of parents of kids "not good at basketball" that dislike Terry. That's not something he can control.

We know you love Mustang. Bashed many including myself for OU not looking very hard at Jlong.

He isnt well liked in the coaching circles or in mustang. He recruited and won and didnt get caught, that is no secret.

Well, one main reason for resigning his coaching position (he's still on contract as a teacher) is that he is offering private coaching lessons. I'll say that my wife has heard nothing about administrators asking him to step down. Also, that would have been something addressed prior to the school year and not weeks before the season starts. Were there angry parents because he brought kids in, sure. Did they get him "fired"? Most likely not. I think my wife said you aren't allowed to "double-dip" while under contract. I don't know if that only applies to the time he is being paid as a coach or if it is for the time of his teaching contract.

We know you love Mustang. Bashed many including myself for OU not looking very hard at Jlong.

He isnt well liked in the coaching circles or in mustang. He recruited and won and didnt get caught, that is no secret.

I NEVER thought Jlong was OU caliber. You have me confused with someone else

BTW, there was a segment of parents of kids "not good at basketball" that dislike Terry. That's not something he can control.

The mustang community has always hated Burtchi and the way he won with kids that weren't Putnam city kids. The majority of the mustang people I know weren't happy on being sale outs and winning with non mustang kids. Of course not everyone is going to feel the same way. I personally had nothing against long but disappointed that mustang won a championship the way they did. They've had several talented teams the last twenty years and even though they never won a championship it was better to support mustang kids then kids who didn't live there win one

The mustang community has always hated Burtchi and the way he won with kids that weren't Putnam city kids. The majority of the mustang people I know weren't happy on being sale outs and winning with non mustang kids. Of course not everyone is going to feel the same way. I personally had nothing against long but disappointed that mustang won a championship the way they did. They've had several talented teams the last twenty years and even though they never won a championship it was better to support mustang kids then kids who didn't live there win one

I can understand that logic, but Mustang doesn't have the built in advantage of loads of inexpensive housing that's also in good proximity of decent jobs. The town is never going to draw a large African American population due to that. I DO know many African Americans were sort of surprised at the experience those that have moved in over the past few years have been exposed to. The kids were treated like any other kid and were in a good environment for learning. If it took Terry coming here to break that stereotype, then it was worth it.

Oddly enough, there were quite a few Mustang kids on Terry's teams that contributed to their success. The kids who didn't stick it out, for the most part, weren't good at basketball.

Did I miss the year they were good before Long? I don't know because I am from the ther side of the state but I don't remember them ever being any good or going to state for that matter since the 90s

Did I miss the year they were good before Long? I don't know because I am from the ther side of the state but I don't remember them ever being any good or going to state for that matter since the 90s

Glidden's senior year, 2 years before Long got there, they were ranked 1 or 2 late in the year before losing to Edmond Memorial in the playoffs. That team was pretty good...they were fairly good the year before that.

Glad you guys trust me.

Details still coming out but mustang grew sick of his ways. The transfers that won them the state titles in a way got him "fired".

They (towns people) wanted him fired last year. The AD that hired him is no longer there. So no need for long to be there anymore either.

There are some other things floating around, no teacher scandals that I'm aware of!!

This is spot on.

Last edited:
Glidden's senior year, 2 years before Long got there, they were ranked 1 or 2 late in the year before losing to Edmond Memorial in the playoffs. That team was pretty good...they were fairly good the year before that.

Did they even make the state tournament that year? I don't remember them every being there. If you can't make it to state when you only have to be 8 of the top 32 then I wouldn't consider you a good team.

Did they even make the state tournament that year? I don't remember them every being there. If you can't make it to state when you only have to be 8 of the top 32 then I wouldn't consider you a good team.

No. Got upset by someone in their regional. Can't remember who, then had to play memorial who, I think won the title that year. Well, I guess if you use that standard, they weren't any good. Ha!

In basketball, the West side of the state rules, so there's obviously going to be teams in the state tournament that aren't as good coming from the east side on occasion.

West side rules is what rules. When Terry Evans hired the AAU coach to coach with him at North, that cost Long his two recruits coming from Ardmore. They are now at Edmond North.

Other schools on the west side, Put North etc, are using Long's methods to recruit and beat him. Good for him to leave because teams were going to run the score up on him this year. He quit coaching during the game last year in the semis of state.

My source about the parents was from an OU basketball coach ha.

West side rules is what rules. When Terry Evans hired the AAU coach to coach with him at North, that cost Long his two recruits coming from Ardmore. They are now at Edmond North.

Other schools on the west side, Put North etc, are using Long's methods to recruit and beat him. Good for him to leave because teams were going to run the score up on him this year. He quit coaching during the game last year in the semis of state.

My source about the parents was from an OU basketball coach ha.

I'm fairly well connected with this community. I can tell you for a fact that most reasonable parents of kids who could actually play like Terry. Terry's not perfect, but he is, IMO, a really good high school basketball coach. I've never spoken to him, but know many who have and they like him.

No. Got upset by someone in their regional. Can't remember who, then had to play memorial who, I think won the title that year. Well, I guess if you use that standard, they weren't any good. Ha!

In basketball, the West side of the state rules, so there's obviously going to be teams in the state tournament that aren't as good coming from the east side on occasion.

Just my opinion that if you are not getting to state when 8 of the 32 make it in and all you have to do is win 3 games, then you are not what I call a good team. Of course there are some years where there are 5 or 6 teams fighting to make it in the West, however if you can't be top 4 of 16 teams, then I stand by my statement.

It is all just opinion so we are both right in reality.

The West side of the state does rule 6A basketball, but in reality it is the West side plus Union. Can't count out the only team that has won from the east and on 2 of the last 4.

Last edited:
I'm fairly well connected with this community. I can tell you for a fact that most reasonable parents of kids who could actually play like Terry. Terry's not perfect, but he is, IMO, a really good high school basketball coach. I've never spoken to him, but know many who have and they like him.

What's your definition of kids who can actually play? The kids he brought in would have beaten out almost all Oklahoma kids on any high school team for playing time.

Mustang has had talent off and on for years. They had a coach before long that could coach and got them to top 3 in the state and he didn't bring in a bunch of aau kids.

Mustang didn't win a championship they bought one and had their tall kid not been upset with long and bolted back to Texas they would have won this past year.

What's your definition of kids who can actually play? The kids he brought in would have beaten out almost all Oklahoma kids on any high school team for playing time.

Mustang has had talent off and on for years. They had a coach before long that could coach and got them to top 3 in the state and he didn't bring in a bunch of aau kids.

Mustang didn't win a championship they bought one and had their tall kid not been upset with long and bolted back to Texas they would have won this past year.

Not counting JLong...Terry brought in 3 players that were really good HS players - Curtis, Austin and Terrell. While those kids were pretty good HS players, none were high level college talents. In fact, Austin sat out quite a bit of the games they won during the state title season due to fouls. The other kids were no better than the kids that were playing other sports at Mustang.

The MVP of the state title game was a kid that had lived in Mustang his entire life (my son played t-ball, football and youth council basketball with him). Their top sub was the same and another one of their top 8 was a homegrown kid. There's not a single kid in those classes that was an above average basketball player that didn't play.

The previous coach is a really nice guy...I really like him... ;)

Last edited:
Not counting JLong...Terry brought in 3 players that were really good HS players - Curtis, Austin and Terrell. While those kids were pretty good HS players, none were high level college talents. In fact, Austin sat out quite a bit of the games they won during the state title season due to fouls. The other kids were no better than the kids that were playing other sports at Mustang.

The MVP of the state title game was a kid that had lived in Mustang his entire life (my son played t-ball, football and youth council basketball with him). Their top sub was the same and another one of their top 8 was a homegrown kid. There's not a single kid in those classes that was an above average basketball player that didn't play.

The previous coach is a really nice guy...I really like him... ;)

Not counting his son, do you really believe they come close to winning state? Austin, Curtis, & the big kid last year are all D1 players. I guess that's not high level college talent.

Not counting his son, do you really believe they come close to winning state? Austin, Curtis, & the big kid last year are all D1 players. I guess that's not high level college talent.

No, but the thought that every kid that transferred in was a star is just BS

Honestly, they probably win it with Curtis and Jlong.

No, but the thought that every kid that transferred in was a star is just BS

Honestly, they probably win it with Curtis and Jlong.

Having kids transfer across the state that played on your AAU team is BS. I like the way Long coaches, but the way he gets talent is shady at best. You're starting to see the same things with Evans at Edmond North.

When you recruit well you dont have to coach as well. Its called cheating. Not many fans of Long in the coaching world.

When you recruit well you dont have to coach as well. Its called cheating. Not many fans of Long in the coaching world.

That's ironic, because after you mistakenly accused me of being a "Jlong is an OU talent", I went back through the archives on this board to make sure that I didn't forget. Not only did I say the opposite, but also found where you called Long a "great coach". Funny, huh?

Back