Mustang Basketball Coach Resigns

That's ironic, because after you mistakenly accused me of being a "Jlong is an OU talent", I went back through the archives on this board to make sure that I didn't forget. Not only did I say the opposite, but also found where you called Long a "great coach". Funny, huh?

Must of confused you with someone... Hopefully there was sarcasm attached to my quote!! :facepalm

Can he make more money doing 'private coaching' than he could as a college assistant?

Can he make more money doing 'private coaching' than he could as a college assistant?

Since he probably wouldn't be a mid-major or high D1 assistant then I think he'd make more money doing paid lessons.

My buddy higher up in the administration at Mustang told me Boone wanted Long at OSU recently. Not sure how legit that is

My buddy higher up in the administration at Mustang told me Boone wanted Long at OSU recently. Not sure how legit that is

It isn't. Long has a history of throwing his name into situations that were never possibilities. There was a story a few years back that both he and Jakolby would end up at OU. That was never the case. He tried for the Oklahoma Christian job, but was not seriously considered. Before being hired at Mustang he tried at every big school available, and could not get hired. Most of that has to do with his illegal recruitment. Other districts didn't want to take the chance.

Not counting JLong...Terry brought in 3 players that were really good HS players - Curtis, Austin and Terrell. While those kids were pretty good HS players, none were high level college talents. In fact, Austin sat out quite a bit of the games they won during the state title season due to fouls. The other kids were no better than the kids that were playing other sports at Mustang.

The MVP of the state title game was a kid that had lived in Mustang his entire life (my son played t-ball, football and youth council basketball with him). Their top sub was the same and another one of their top 8 was a homegrown kid. There's not a single kid in those classes that was an above average basketball player that didn't play.

The previous coach is a really nice guy...I really like him... ;)

Theres not very many coaches that are going to look bad when you bring in 3 AAU kids. He did the same thing at Douglas. I know Foreman who is now the interim coach at Mustang wasn't pleased that 2 of his Westmoore kids were playing for Long at Douglas.

And as for the local kid being MVP...that just tells me that you added 4 kids to go along with a local talent. I would have rather have seen what that kid and Jakolby could have done and not what the team did with the other transfers.

It isn't. Long has a history of throwing his name into situations that were never possibilities. There was a story a few years back that both he and Jakolby would end up at OU. That was never the case. He tried for the Oklahoma Christian job, but was not seriously considered. Before being hired at Mustang he tried at every big school available, and could not get hired. Most of that has to do with his illegal recruitment. Other districts didn't want to take the chance.

The guy I got that from is connected to OSU...that's where his info came from.

Theres not very many coaches that are going to look bad when you bring in 3 AAU kids. He did the same thing at Douglas. I know Foreman who is now the interim coach at Mustang wasn't pleased that 2 of his Westmoore kids were playing for Long at Douglas.

And as for the local kid being MVP...that just tells me that you added 4 kids to go along with a local talent. I would have rather have seen what that kid and Jakolby could have done and not what the team did with the other transfers.

I know Foreman WELL...like REALLY well.

Long has tried to get jobs at Edmond schools and hasn't even been considered.

Foreman will be assisted by - wait for it - Dan friggin Hays

Foreman will be assisted by - wait for it - Dan friggin Hays

Unless he brings guys from OCC it won't matter much who the coach is this year for Mustang. I hope for the sake of the players left that coaches won't take out their frustration on them for past years.

When Long interviewed for the Tulsa Washington job, he told them in the interview he could bring four players with him. They told him to hit the road. Mustang is like Broken Arrow, they will break the rules to win in any sport.

When Long interviewed for the Tulsa Washington job, he told them in the interview he could bring four players with him. They told him to hit the road. Mustang is like Broken Arrow, they will break the rules to win in any sport.

Hahaha...then they are doing it wrong

Not that familiar with BTW anymore but are they still a magnet school? If so, then yes, he could have brought 4 players with him as long as they established residence in the area. Let's also not pretend that Jenks, Union, BA, etc. haven't been recruiting players for football for the longest time.

Soonerszech, can you name two players for Union or Jenks the last ten years that have been recruited. Guessing you are from the west side of the state where football is awful. It isn't like Jenks and Union are loaded with D-1 players each year. Jenks QB this year is 5'10 and 148 pounds and they are undefeated.

Any player can be eligible if they establish residence in a certain school district. Most schools, other than Mustang, will not hire a coach that wants to bring in players. Sorry, need to include Edmond North and Put North to the list with Mustang.

Soonerszech, can you name two players for Union or Jenks the last ten years that have been recruited. Guessing you are from the west side of the state where football is awful. It isn't like Jenks and Union are loaded with D-1 players each year. Jenks QB this year is 5'10 and 148 pounds and they are undefeated.

Any player can be eligible if they establish residence in a certain school district. Most schools, other than Mustang, will not hire a coach that wants to bring in players. Sorry, need to include Edmond North and Put North to the list with Mustang.

;)

I had the opportunity to speak at length with a fairly recent union grad 2 years ago as our family had relatives on the same college team. He, and I don't remember how he worded it, said kids would just show up the entirety of his high school career from year to year. I won't divulge his name because most would know him well and I don't really care, but that's what he said.

There's a long list of kids transferring around from school to school. Southmoore is notorious. It happens in MANY rural schools around the Ada area. It's happened quite a bit over my lifetime of living here. You have selective outrage.

BTW, Mustang's quarterback is about the same size...what's that have to do with anything?

Last edited:
Back