NCAA Tourney Thursday- OU on Fox Sports OK

MJSooner

Reaction score
Since today would normally be the start of the NCAA Tournament, FoxSports OK is showing two classic games today beginning at 2 PM.

Both games are from 1988, OU vs Villanova Elite Eight game and the classic Final Four game vs. Arizona.

Get your hoops fix this afternoon.

For any of you that might be watching this, funny thing I just heard. Dick Stockton was talking about Dave Sieger and said, "he has been Oklahoma's best one-on-one defender the last 3 years".

Mookie says hi, Dick.

What a freaking team! I would put them up against any team all time.

I did not watch, but i think Sean Elliot played for Arizona. Remember him being one of the top college players at the time.

Along with Steve Kerr, and future MLB All-Star Kenny Lofton.

I was wondering if that was the same Kenny lofton. Wow that team had some sick talent. No match for the Sooners though and lute agreed at the end.

I grew to despise that program over the years, almost much as I loathe KU. They self-promoted a holier-than-thou image almost as badly as KU did (and Penn State in football did for decades). But, I do know they had Elliott, Kerr, Lofton, Tom Tolbert and a guy named Anthony Cook as their main players.

They lost in Albuquerque right after New Year's, and a couple of weeks later in Palo Alto. Too bad they didn't lose more often than those two times plus our game. My Pac-10 area relatives hated them for their arrogance and their media darling status, much like I did. Their hometown homers once billed them as "St. Lute and his Leaping Apostles." (barf)

The only down side of beating them was that it set up the "Mistake of '88." It was unfortunate that OU's vilified (in the non-Oklahoma media) team had to be at the Final Four with three programs that acted like they were so morally superior (KU, UofA and Duke).

I grew to despise that program over the years, almost much as I loathe KU. They self-promoted a holier-than-thou image almost as badly as KU did (and Penn State in football did for decades). But, I do know they had Elliott, Kerr, Lofton, Tom Tolbert and a guy named Anthony Cook as their main players.

They lost in Albuquerque right after New Year's, and a couple of weeks later in Palo Alto. Too bad they didn't lose more often than those two times plus our game. My Pac-10 area relatives hated them for their arrogance and their media darling status, much like I did. Their hometown homers once billed them as "St. Lute and his Leaping Apostles." (barf)

The only down side of beating them was that it set up the "Mistake of '88." It was unfortunate that OU's vilified (in the non-Oklahoma media) team had to be at the Final Four with three programs that acted like they were so morally superior (KU, UofA and Duke).

I agree. That’s what gets me. OU has always had this black hat image, like we cheat. I hear it from ku fans all the time. Yet, all of these other programs with sustained success are cheating their asses off. KU are the biggest cheaters out there, along with UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.

It’s such hypocrisy.

I agree. That’s what gets me. OU has always had this black hat image, like we cheat. I hear it from ku fans all the time. Yet, all of these other programs with sustained success are cheating their asses off. KU are the biggest cheaters out there, along with UNC, Duke, Kentucky, etc.

It’s such hypocrisy.

No kidding, but who was found guilty of NCAA violations Larry Brown or Billy Tubbs?

Your answer, Larry Brown. He has been guilty of NCAA violations at each one of his three college coaching jobs, UCLA, Kansas and SMU.

CBS showed the '92 Duke/Kentucky game. The one where Laettner hit the game winner at the buzzer. That is probably the best NCAA Tourney game of all time.

It’s such hypocrisy.

KU had that one old guy on radio, Max "something" who was the consummate homer. When I was in school, OU had a rather centralized (OKC area mostly) radio network, so you couldn't get night games if you lived further away than Chickasha. So we'd try to find a KU or KSU network if OU was playing them (or the blowtorch KFAB out of Omaha for OU-Nebraska games). If we were playing KU, you'd have thought everyone who ever suited up for them was a "fine lad" (and you could say the same for the NU homers in football).

I don't mind a "homer" as long as they're honest. There was some talk that KU cut down the nets in the LNC when they played a first-round Big 8 tournament game there in '83. Then OU apparently did that after that OT win in Lawrence that clinched the regular season title. I wasn't in Oklahoma at the time, so I don't know about the first situation. But I did read that ol' Max flat out denied that KU's saintly team did such a thing in Norman, but it was the worst thing in history the next year in Lawrence.

The Kansas City Star put out some vicious anti-OU propaganda before the '84-85 season - I saw that personally when I found a copy of it. It was basically "lock the doors and hide the kids" when OU was coming to your gym. And one of those more local idiots, a guy named Chuck Woodling, took the occasion of Wayman Tisdale's death to trash him and the OU team all over again because of the situation in '84 up there.

I also remember my own brother coming back from the '85 league tournament up in KC saying, "I can't believe how much they all hate us up there..." Think maybe a very biased, KU-centric media had something to do with it?

As for Arizona, they had a local guy at their paper in '88 who had once worked in the Utah area (I saw some of his work at the UNM Library, when I was working and taking classes there). This guy was not only a big-time Wildcat homer, he was also blatantly dishonest about something that had to do with OU football once.

When the 1989 OU team was going to play in Tucson, he wrote a libel-a-day series that week that included his being so happy that "cheating" OU got hammered by the NCAA a few months earlier. And the big lie that he told about covering an OU football game had to do with an OU-Utah State game from 1974. I was at the game, so I know he was lying. OU destroyed them, but Switzer subbed early and often. He even went off on one of his walkons who called a timeout with OU on their five yard line and sent in Steve Davis to "take the knee." But this clown from Tucson claimed that Barry left his starters in almost the entire game to "run it up" - when it was nothing like that.

Footnote: same guy impugned the character of Billy and his team in 1990 when OU went out to play Arizona. It wasn't as blatant as how he trashed OU football, but it was typical of a media that had to have "good guys" and "bad guys."

Last edited:
I can't even count how many times the Texas press has lied about OU. One I can remember was after OU waxed Texas in football in '93 a Houston Chronicle writer named Ed Fowler gave some ridiculous and inaccurate number about the number of prop 42 athletes OU was playing with. That it was some sort of advantage because his holier than thou Horns wouldn't accept such filth.

The most egregious I can remember, even though he's a New Yorker, was the Lupica deal. What an uninformed liar. Only because it was OU was he not called on the carpet more. Should have!

I can't even count how many times the Texas press has lied about OU. One I can remember was after OU waxed Texas in football in '93 a Houston Chronicle writer named Ed Fowler gave some ridiculous and inaccurate number about the number of prop 42 athletes OU was playing with. That it was some sort of advantage because his holier than thou Horns wouldn't accept such filth.

The most egregious I can remember, even though he's a New Yorker, was the Lupica deal. What an uninformed liar. Only because it was OU was he not called on the carpet more. Should have!

ESPN lied constantly back in '88 about the "running up the score" nonsense with Tubbs. And they really had a field day with OU football's probation a few months later. Some nitwit on "The Sports Reporters" mentioned the "Million Dollar Walk," as proof of OU's alleged blatant cheating. Thing is, the "Million Dollar Walk" was something out of a novel by Dan Jenkins about the characters from the original story "Semi-Tough." It wasn't anything real.

Back then, CNN also did a sports highlights show, and it got really disgusting one night after a Sooner basketball rout of Texas A&M. I went to that game at the All-College. It was a rare treat for me to see a game in person, since I was living in Albuquerque at the time.

OU, playing without the injured Stacey King (senior year), hammered the Aggies in rather unexpected fashion. Tubbs was friends with then-Aggie coach Shelby Metcalf, so he really took it easy on them when the game was well out of reach. I remember Billy cleared the bench with roughly 10 minutes left, and I think Jason Skurcenski and Kermit Holmes (then a sophomore reserve) set career highs in minutes played at that point in time.

Then I got back to my folks' place in Lawton after midnight and turned on the TV to see the highlights on that particular show. Their guy got on there and said, "Billy Tubbs left his starters in almost the entire game as the Sooners ran it up on Texas A&M." I shouldn't have been shocked, but I really was about such a blatant lie.

ESPN lied constantly back in '88 about the "running up the score" nonsense with Tubbs. And they really had a field day with OU football's probation a few months later. Some nitwit on "The Sports Reporters" mentioned the "Million Dollar Walk," as proof of OU's alleged blatant cheating. Thing is, the "Million Dollar Walk" was something out of a novel by Dan Jenkins about the characters from the original story "Semi-Tough." It wasn't anything real.

Back then, CNN also did a sports highlights show, and it got really disgusting one night after a Sooner basketball rout of Texas A&M. I went to that game at the All-College. It was a rare treat for me to see a game in person, since I was living in Albuquerque at the time.

OU, playing without the injured Stacey King (senior year), hammered the Aggies in rather unexpected fashion. Tubbs was friends with then-Aggie coach Shelby Metcalf, so he really took it easy on them when the game was well out of reach. I remember Billy cleared the bench with roughly 10 minutes left, and I think Jason Skurcenski and Kermit Holmes (then a sophomore reserve) set career highs in minutes played at that point in time.

Then I got back to my folks' place in Lawton after midnight and turned on the TV to see the highlights on that particular show. Their guy got on there and said, "Billy Tubbs left his starters in almost the entire game as the Sooners ran it up on Texas A&M." I shouldn't have been shocked, but I really was about such a blatant lie.

I remember when Bob Stoops beat A&M 77-0. The running backs were literally taking knees in the 4th quarter to avoid scoring again. The next day, so many ESPN guys were upset that he RAN UP THE SCORE. That game could have easily been 100-0.

KU had that one old guy on radio, Max "something" who was the consummate homer. When I was in school, OU had a rather centralized (OKC area mostly) radio network, so you couldn't get night games if you lived further away than Chickasha. So we'd try to find a KU or KSU network if OU was playing them (or the blowtorch KFAB out of Omaha for OU-Nebraska games). If we were playing KU, you'd have thought everyone who ever suited up for them was a "fine lad" (and you could say the same for the NU homers in football).

I don't mind a "homer" as long as they're honest. There was some talk that KU cut down the nets in the LNC when they played a first-round Big 8 tournament game there in '83. Then OU apparently did that after that OT win in Lawrence that clinched the regular season title. I wasn't in Oklahoma at the time, so I don't know about the first situation. But I did read that ol' Max flat out denied that KU's saintly team did such a thing in Norman, but it was the worst thing in history the next year in Lawrence.

The Kansas City Star put out some vicious anti-OU propaganda before the '84-85 season - I saw that personally when I found a copy of it. It was basically "lock the doors and hide the kids" when OU was coming to your gym. And one of those more local idiots, a guy named Chuck Woodling, took the occasion of Wayman Tisdale's death to trash him and the OU team all over again because of the situation in '84 up there.

I also remember my own brother coming back from the '85 league tournament up in KC saying, "I can't believe how much they all hate us up there..." Think maybe a very biased, KU-centric media had something to do with it?

As for Arizona, they had a local guy at their paper in '88 who had once worked in the Utah area (I saw some of his work at the UNM Library, when I was working and taking classes there). This guy was not only a big-time Wildcat homer, he was also blatantly dishonest about something that had to do with OU football once.

When the 1989 OU team was going to play in Tucson, he wrote a libel-a-day series that week that included his being so happy that "cheating" OU got hammered by the NCAA a few months earlier. And the big lie that he told about covering an OU football game had to do with an OU-Utah State game from 1974. I was at the game, so I know he was lying. OU destroyed them, but Switzer subbed early and often. He even went off on one of his walkons who called a timeout with OU on their five yard line and sent in Steve Davis to "take the knee." But this clown from Tucson claimed that Barry left his starters in almost the entire game to "run it up" - when it was nothing like that.

Footnote: same guy impugned the character of Billy and his team in 1990 when OU went out to play Arizona. It wasn't as blatant as how he trashed OU football, but it was typical of a media that had to have "good guys" and "bad guys."

I have never understood why KU fans have hated OU to such an extreme. KC area media has always said bad things about OU and tried to drum up anti OU sentiment. I’ve just never understood why. They have a disproportionate amount of hate for all things OU. The hypocrisy is also galling when you consider all of their cheating in basketball recruiting.

I have never understood why KU fans have hated OU to such an extreme. KC area media has always said bad things about OU and tried to drum up anti OU sentiment. I’ve just never understood why. They have a disproportionate amount of hate for all things OU. The hypocrisy is also galling when you consider all of their cheating in basketball recruiting.

I’m surrounded by KU people 24/7 and I rarely hear them mention our basketball program. And my sense is that since Lon has been our coach, they respect us more than they do most opponents. I have a million reasons to dislike KU, but any perceived hatred of OU by their fanbase isn’t one of them.

I’m surrounded by KU people 24/7 and I rarely hear them mention our basketball program. And my sense is that since Lon has been our coach, they respect us more than they do most opponents. I have a million reasons to dislike KU, but any perceived hatred of OU by their fanbase isn’t one of them.

That’s not been my experience. Granted, the animosity towards the OU Program has diminished because we aren’t the threat we once were and they’ve owned the big12 easily for the last 20 years. However, I know a lot of ku fans that hate OU, all sports, and always take the opportunity to call us cheaters and then cite incidents that happened over 30 years ago.

Back