Next Year's Roster

A .500 big 12 team this year is a 4 seed, at worst. This aint kelvins big12.

This. There's almost nothing a team could realistically do within the rules to miss the tournament while going .500 in Big XII play, so I wasn't even going to bother responding.

Who is expecting Sherfield to leave? Where did that information come from? Don't we have just as much chance of losing Uzan and Oweh as we do Sherfield?

Pretty much everybody -- I haven't spoken to anybody that truly expects him to stay. Uzan and Oweh could leave, but it's much easier to answer the question about what they have to gain. It's not a foregone conclusion.

I'd disagree with that part. We are far and away the worst team in the league. If we return the same roster, we would have to hope both freshmen are absolute studs from day one in order for that to change, especially since we are also at a coaching disadvantage pretty much every night in conference play. We need to move on from Noland and Jacob, and I assume we will. We need two big upgrades for those roster spots. Bam is an interesting case because we are already his third school -- he would almost certainly have to sit a year if he leaves, but that may not be a choice that is in his hands. And I'm sure there will be other defections.

I will be sweating out the fate of Los and Oweh all spring and summer. If they leave, we may as well get rid of Moser immediately, because his high school recruiting is about the only thing that even his biggest defenders can point to when arguing in support of him.

I'm with you on this. Los and Oweh and possibly Hill are the only players that got minutes that I would be sick to lose. Did we resolve whether Grant has a year left? If so I would be happy with him coming back but not "sky is falling" if he left.
Its hard to speak on the bench players that got no play because Northweather's film looks very good and he is huge, would like to see him on the court before passing judgement.

It would be very, very hard for me to get excited about next season if we loose Los and Oweh.

That said, I wouldn't blame them if they left.

I agree with TMeyer.

I have always respected your opinions Wichita, and I can see where someone might have your opinions on Moser. But, I just disagree. I don''t agree with all of Moser's philosophies or decisions, but we have never had a coach that I completely agreed with. I have been going to OU games since they played in the fieldhouse. I think Moser has done a good job, considering he is clearly taking the long approach and not the quick fix approach. I think you have to give a coach at least four years to build something and to be fairly evaluated.

Seeing Oweh and Los gives me hope that Benny and Luke are also going to be good players when we finally get to see them. The Cooper kid really looks like the real deal. I don't know anything about Cole, but Moser seems to be doing a good job of talent evaluation at least with regard to high school kids.

I would prefer we move on from CJ, Jacob and jB, but don't like the idea of running kids off just to win games. If they buy in and work hard, the program should bear responsibility for doing the best they can with them and not just look to its own interest, even if it costs us some games. Of course, I just don't know how the kids feel about things and what type of kids they are.

In short, unlike some, I still am of the opinion we are going in the right direction even if it is at a slower pace than we wanted.

Put me NOT in this camp.. we play to win.

We can avoid adding some questionable characters (i.e., not sell our souls), but this is a results business. We need results ASAP

It's a good thing we redshirted him. Arizona or North Carolina might need a big man when he's a 5th year senior.

Lol he wont go there. He cant even beat out a walk on here. But i agree with the absurdity of redshirting a player in these times..

A .500 big 12 team this year is a 4 seed, at worst. This aint kelvins big12.

No, a .500 Big 12 team isn't a 4 seed at worst this year. Neither TCU nor ISU are currently projected as 4 seeds by ESPN. So again, no, not "at worst".

And we're talking about next year. You know, when the conference brings in 4 teams, one of which is really good and the other three of which are pretty bad. So the conference is going to get diluted by a small bit.

I said 8-12 seed. I can easily see TCU/ISU types, or OSU if they were to win on Saturday and be one game won from being .500, as being seeded 5/6 on the low end and 7/8 on the high end. Again, next year the conference won't be as strong with the addition of Cincy/BYU/UCF, so in theory, a similar record won't get the same seding. Maybe my 8-12 is off a bit, but it's probably 7-10 instead. But sure, get mad about it.

No, a .500 Big 12 team isn't a 4 seed at worst this year. Neither TCU nor ISU are currently projected as 4 seeds by ESPN. So again, no, not "at worst".

And we're talking about next year. You know, when the conference brings in 4 teams, one of which is really good and the other three of which are pretty bad. So the conference is going to get diluted by a small bit.

I said 8-12 seed. I can easily see TCU/ISU types, or OSU if they were to win on Saturday and be one game won from being .500, as being seeded 5/6 on the low end and 7/8 on the high end. Again, next year the conference won't be as strong with the addition of Cincy/BYU/UCF, so in theory, a similar record won't get the same seding. Maybe my 8-12 is off a bit, but it's probably 7-10 instead. But sure, get mad about it.

Who is mad here?

I was wrong about the 4 seed projection, as tcu is listed as a 5 on bracket matrix at 9-8 record (and they will be finishing .500). You make a valid point that the big12 will be worse next year with the 4 new teams, also. Perhaps a .500 record will be closer to 7-10 range next year.

Thought I would give my thoughts on our current players and next years roster and get you guys opinions:

Want to return: 4 freshman, YaYa, sherfield, hill and godwin

Would be happy to have back: Cortes

Think they would do better elsewhere: Noland, Jacob Groves and Joe-ban

The above being said, I would not be upset by everyone coming back, I just don't see my bottom three getting much playing time next year.

Love to get Godwin back as a walkon, but I am in the camp that he would help next year even as a scholarship player.

Been watching NAIA's videos of Cooper. After last night, I can't wait to see he and Oweh on the court together. They are both crazy athletes. Couldn't believe Oweh last night, he had a couple drives that should have been on Sportscenter. Unreal. Love, love, love Los and Oweh. Man I hope they come back. I think they could be really special.

As far as additions, we need an athletic big addition. And a pure shooter on the wing would be nice as well.

Who is YaYa? The Missouri kid? I think he may retire from basketball due to health reasons.

Uzan and Oweh are the only soul-crushing losses.
Sherfield is expected to leave, but would be huge if he stayed.
Would like Hill back.
Beyond that, I don't really care what anybody else does. Just need a couple spots to open up.

If you’re smart you try t sweeten the pot to get him and Hill back. You need their experience in this league if you want to make the tourney.

Is Luke Northweather not around anymore, or did I miss his name on one of these lists?

I thought it was a mistake to redshirt him in the first place! I have never been convinced that a a 6’ 11” 232 guy with his credentials coming out of high school was not good enough to help us this season! Given a chance, I think it’s possible Luke and Benny might have been better than a couple of players Porter trotted out on the floor this season! It’s also possible I could have been wrong.

Not sure the competition was great. I’m in kc, do not familiar with Jeff city class size. With that… any kid that is 6’11 and even halfway athletic should have those stats…even in kc.

We’ll see

Who is YaYa? The Missouri kid? I think he may retire from basketball due to health reasons.

I haven’t heard that but i hope we aren’t relying on him next year. Northweather might be solid eventually but obviously wasn’t ready this season at all. We have some real work to do in the portal.

Can we all agree on these things?

1) OU is the worst team in the league - whether it is by a long ways or it is close - their record indicates they are the worse.

2) PM has recruited two nice freshman and has another couple coming in who could also be good. His HS recruiting has been good, maybe even very good.

3) His work in the transfer portal has been largely successful off the court - landing highly-sought after players, but they have largely underachieved and been inconsistent in the Big 12.

I am sure there are more things we might all agree on, but, for me, I just don't see a way forward for PM. Maybe Cooper and Collins are really good players and maybe Hill and GS stay and maybe Oweh and Uzan stay and improve their jump shots - Oweh especially, but that's a lot of maybes in a crazy good conference, which adds Houston next year.

Even if all the above maybes work out - hard to believe this would be the case, but let's pretend they did. I still think OU is no better than a middle of the road team in the Big 12. Is middle of the road in the Big 12 what any of us thought would be the case in year 3 of PM's tenure?

I want to believe PM can do it, but it feels like there are too many maybes to get OU into the tournament next year.

I hope he proves me wrong!

1) OU is the worst team in the league - whether it is by a long ways or it is close - their record indicates they are the worse.

2) PM has recruited two nice freshman and has another couple coming in who could also be good. His HS recruiting has been good, maybe even very good.

3) His work in the transfer portal has been largely successful off the court - landing highly-sought after players, but they have largely underachieved and been inconsistent in the Big 12.

I am sure there are more things we might all agree on, but, for me, I just don't see a way forward for PM. Maybe Cooper and Collins are really good players and maybe Hill and GS stay and maybe Oweh and Uzan stay and improve their jump shots - Oweh especially, but that's a lot of maybes in a crazy good conference, which adds Houston next year.

Even if all the above maybes work out - hard to believe this would be the case, but let's pretend they did. I still think OU is no better than a middle of the road team in the Big 12. Is middle of the road in the Big 12 what any of us thought would be the case in year 3 of PM's tenure?

I want to believe PM can do it, but it feels like there are too many maybes to get OU into the tournament next year.

Yes, I would take it in a heartbeat.

I think that’s pretty accurate. I’m not entirely sure I agree that he has landed many highly recruited players in the portal. Grant was, but Tanner didn’t have a ton of big time offers and Jacob surely didn’t. Bam … not sure who else offered. He has obvious talent but I don’t think we beat out a lot of high majors for him. But I’m nitpicking because I think you’re right on the big picture stuff. There are so many “ifs” and “maybes” that all need to work out for us in order to make real headway. If any of those things don’t work, especially if the two freshmen and/or Hill leave, we will probably be even worse next season.

Agreed. You have to consider them the worst team right now, even if not by a long ways.

Definitely. If he can continue his HS recruiting, retain them, and develop them (at even mediocre rate), there's no question he'll be successful here. That's obviously three important IFs that are all far from certain.

This is the one I'm not sure I would agree with. We've missed out on a lot of guys that would have really helped. It's understandable to miss on the 5-star equivalents to schools like KU and UT, but we've missed on more of the 4-star types to schools like TTU than I'd like. I think most of our transfers have been the equivalent of 3-stars. Sherfield is the only guy I would consider a 4-star or higher, and he's been a clear hit on the court.

I still think OU is no better than a middle of the road team in the Big 12. Is middle of the road in the Big 12 what any of us thought would be the case in year 3 of PM's tenure?

I would absolutely be happy about middle of the road in conference next year. That would indicate clear progression and likely mean his HS recruiting is paying off, he's developing guys, or that he's stepped it up in the portal. The problem is that if Sherfield leaves, there's a TON of work to do to get this team to middle of conference, and I can't say that's something I'd bet on presently.

Back