Next Year's Roster

"I would absolutely be happy about middle of the road in conference next year. That would indicate clear progression and likely mean his HS recruiting is paying off, he's developing guys, or that he's stepped it up in the portal. The problem is that if Sherfield leaves, there's a TON of work to do to get this team to middle of conference, and I can't say that's something I'd bet on presently."

I agree. But I felt, OU would be better than middle-of-the-road even in the Big 12 in year 3 of PM. Maybe that was too much to expect, but I thought the PM hire was a homerun. And, now, I am not sure it wasn't a backwards K.

This is the one I'm not sure I would agree with. We've missed out on a lot of guys that would have really helped. It's understandable to miss on the 5-star equivalents to schools like KU and UT, but we've missed on more of the 4-star types to schools like TTU than I'd like. I think most of our transfers have been the equivalent of 3-stars. Sherfield is the only guy I would consider a 4-star or higher, and he's been a clear hit on the court.

I would absolutely be happy about middle of the road in conference next year. That would indicate clear progression and likely mean his HS recruiting is paying off, he's developing guys, or that he's stepped it up in the portal. The problem is that if Sherfield leaves, there's a TON of work to do to get this team to middle of conference, and I can't say that's something I'd bet on presently.

This (along with the late game management) is my biggest concern with Moser. I’m not sure how much of that is on him or the broader OU MBBall infrastructure in play (bad NIL set-up). Especially as CBB becomes even more NIL driven. I lean toward the outside factors as opposed to Moser-specific evaluations blowing up hence why I am personally more sanguine about him as a coach.

Even if all the above maybes work out - hard to believe this would be the case, but let's pretend they did. I still think OU is no better than a middle of the road team in the Big 12. Is middle of the road in the Big 12 what any of us thought would be the case in year 3 of PM's tenure?
Yes, I would take it in a heartbeat.
as would I
I would absolutely be happy about middle of the road in conference next year.

f45c8063-4847-4eab-8c87-c34391ddc276_text.gif

I'm not sure how it will all play out but Moser is going to have to hit the portal hard in the offseason. Not sure he can be successful. We may look at next year's roster and wish for this year's one.

some chatter out there that Hill will portal, anyone else hearing which way he is leaning?

some chatter out there that Hill will portal, anyone else hearing which way he is leaning?

I don’t know anything other than what was posted on here over the weakened, but the fact that Jalen was asked about his plans today and declined to say he was coming back or even indicate he was strongly considering it is definitely not encouraging. I won’t hold it against him if he decides to leave. He certainly didn’t think he would come to Norman and miss the tourney his Junior and senior years, and he can’t feel confident in that turning around next season.

80% gone. Wants a giant nil deal.

Opinion only…

Cj, groves, grant, hill all gone.

With those 5 guys leaving, there’s opportunity to bring in more talent. The flip side is, it could also be a disaster. I would hate to lose Hill but I also understand why he would leave if given a better opportunity.

Moser is on the hot seat. If he doesn’t upgrade the talent in the portal, next year will be his last.

Hill is one of my favorite Sooners since Buddy but...

If he wants a huge NIL deal, good for him, I hope he gets it elsewhere. Good player, inflated sense of self-worth (if true) but I don't blame him. OU's Andre Roberson (in a way).

Wouldn't be hard to replace.

Send the hate mail to: IDGAF@gmail.com

Also, Thune said Hill was walking away from basketball. Lolololol. No.

If he wants a huge NIL deal, good for him, I hope he gets it elsewhere. Good player, inflated sense of self-worth (if true) but I don't blame him. OU's Andre Roberson (in a way).

Example:

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1633111957304664066?s=20[/TWEET]

And the portal doesn't open until March 13th for undergrads. There's going to be a lot of talent out there.

Example:

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1633111957304664066?s=20[/TWEET]

And the portal doesn't open until March 13th for undergrads. There's going to be a lot of talent out there.

Does Evans get swatted on 80% of his layup attempts? If so, then I am in!

i like Hill a bunch but he is not a player you throw everything at to return ..

he is not going to get much better at this point he is an older player ..

and without the covid year he would be finished at OU in any event ..

Came here to say the exact thing.

Would LOVE to have Hill back. Think he's a really good kid and would be important for us next year.

However, do I think he's worth a giant NIL deal? No, I don't.

And I'm not trying to hate on the kid. If he can get a giant NIL deal somewhere else, good for him. I don't blame him for taking it.

Hill would be a huge loss. If you only value guys who score 15-20 ppg, sure, you can dismiss his impact. But I think his value will be obvious if he goes to a good team. I won't blame him at all for leaving. And it definitely isn't fair to say he has an inflated sense of his value. He is one of the more unselfish players we have had in years, and I think there are 9 other Big 12 coaches who absolutely would tell you how valuable he is. Rebounds, can defend all five positions, capable of scoring 15-20 occasionally, gets loose balls, does all the "little" things. This one will sting.

And sure, there will be talented players in the portal. Outside of Grant, Moser has not shown an ability to land those guys.

There was a lot of talent out there last year too and we ended up with a roster that went 15-16.

If OU really does lose Sherfield, Noland, Hill, and both Groves, Moser is going to have to KILL IT in the Portal to not avoid another bad season.

We can like the young players all we want, but:
a) none of them are 4's/5's, positionally
b) they can't do it on their own

So we'll see how the offseason goes. I'm not going to speculate. Maybe with T. Groves gone Moser can get a better big man to transfer in. Collins isn't some program changer though if he is the guy.

I'll also go back on record that Cortes may leave. He just has to work through the mental side of being what he is at OU and in the Big 12, or going elsewhere where he can play a bigger role. That is what he battled last offseason, and ultimately came back. I'm not sure he makes that same decision this offseason.

80% gone. Wants a giant nil deal.

Opinion only…

Cj, groves, grant, hill all gone.

I'm not very high on Hill. Hes been a frustrating player for me imo. I wish hed stay tho with our rough roster but he doesnt deserve giant NIL for being only above average. I wish him well

Hill would be a huge loss. If you only value guys who score 15-20 ppg, sure, you can dismiss his impact. But I think his value will be obvious if he goes to a good team. I won't blame him at all for leaving. And it definitely isn't fair to say he has an inflated sense of his value. He is one of the more unselfish players we have had in years, and I think there are 9 other Big 12 coaches who absolutely would tell you how valuable he is. Rebounds, can defend all five positions, capable of scoring 15-20 occasionally, gets loose balls, does all the "little" things. This one will sting.

And sure, there will be talented players in the portal. Outside of Grant, Moser has not shown an ability to land those guys.

Eh, hes kind of a tweener with his height. I think hes overrated on the alleged little things he does. It may seem like more bc the rest of our team isnt very good and many are devoid of doing the little things altogether. I still wish he'd stay but hes not worth big NIL.

Back