Next Year's Roster

Eh, hes kind of a tweener with his height. I think hes overrated on the alleged little things he does. It may seem like more bc the rest of our team isnt very good and many are devoid of doing the little things altogether. I still wish he'd stay but hes not worth big NIL.

I actually think his value will be even more evident on a good team. He could be a McCullar type at KU. Lockdown defender, and capable of having four or five big scoring games when an opponent is so focused on taking away the primary scorers.

Lots of people didn't value Manek till he was gone. Obviously no one saw Alondes being the player he showed at Wake. If Jalen leaves, I think most people on the board will be shocked to see how many really good programs want him.

Hill would be a huge loss. If you only value guys who score 15-20 ppg, sure, you can dismiss his impact. But I think his value will be obvious if he goes to a good team. I won't blame him at all for leaving. And it definitely isn't fair to say he has an inflated sense of his value. He is one of the more unselfish players we have had in years, and I think there are 9 other Big 12 coaches who absolutely would tell you how valuable he is. Rebounds, can defend all five positions, capable of scoring 15-20 occasionally, gets loose balls, does all the "little" things. This one will sting.

And sure, there will be talented players in the portal. Outside of Grant, Moser has not shown an ability to land those guys.

if Tanner had a year remaining he would be more valuable then hill in the portal

and i love hill but him wanting huge dollars is an inflated sense of value ..

if Tanner had a year remaining he would be more valuable then hill in the portal

I have to disagree here. Hill is much more valuable than Tanner. I think Hill is probably OU's best player currently.

I'm sorry, I think all of the "He's not worth a big NIL" are on the edge of being arrogant. Several have used the phrase "Big NIL" care to quantify? Is that $100,000 or $25,000 or $1,000,000? We know nothing about his value in practices or in the locker room. Has he helped in recruiting? Did we need his 10 rebounds against OSU?

I don't know the answers but I suspect none of us do. Coach (not Coach Talk) knows, let him be the decider.

I don't think there is a coach in America who would agree. Tanner is a post player who rarely scores in the post, can't stay out of foul trouble, and isn't nearly a good enough shooter to stretch the floor the way OU wants. He also isn't a very good passer. He didn't have many big-time offers when he entered the portal two years ago coming off a career game. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Hill will have a much better offer list.

And who said anything about a million dollars?

I have to disagree here. Hill is much more valuable than Tanner. I think Hill is probably OU's best player currently.

advanced stats say Groves is the better player ..

including on Defense

OU's results with Groves on / off the court says the same

I don't think there is a coach in America who would agree. Tanner is a post player who rarely scores in the post, can't stay out of foul trouble, and isn't nearly a good enough shooter to stretch the floor the way OU wants. He also isn't a very good passer. He didn't have many big-time offers when he entered the portal two years ago coming off a career game. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Hill will have a much better offer list.

And who said anything about a million dollars?

Groves had a ton of offers out of the portal ..

he is a better shooter and passer then Hill ...

better offensive and defensive rebounder then hill ..

I'm sorry, I think all of the "He's not worth a big NIL" are on the edge of being arrogant. Several have used the phrase "Big NIL" care to quantify? Is that $100,000 or $25,000 or $1,000,000? We know nothing about his value in practices or in the locker room. Has he helped in recruiting? Did we need his 10 rebounds against OSU?

I don't know the answers but I suspect none of us do. Coach (not Coach Talk) knows, let him be the decider.

The fact that CoachTalk said "giant NIL" package makes me think it's more than what OU wants to offer him.

Based on that alone, I don't think he's probably worth whatever the asking price is.

I just don't see him being the missing piece between a good season next year and a bad one. And in the end, that's really what matters (at least to me). There's way too many other holes for me to feel like he'll be the difference.

Maybe I'll be wrong.

Let's see the list. He allegedly had an offer from Texas. Check out the other schools that were in his final three or four.

Not as good a passer. Three-point shooting is almost a wash, and Jalen has a much higher FT and overall FG percentage. Rebounding is of course going to favor him to some degree because of his height and position, but it's not a huge edge. And last I checked, defense is part of the game. Hill is a great defender, while Tanner can't defend without fouling and is helpless against athletic bigs -- which we will likely see again tomorrow. I bet you could poll every D-1 coach in the country and struggle to find more than a handful who would take Tanner over Jalen.

I like hill and think he’s one of our best players. Unfortunately, this team isn’t very good and hill doesn’t make up the difference. I agree with Wichita in that, hill will have plenty of offers and could be a big piece on a much better team. If he goes to a good team that has talent and depth, he won’t have to shoulder the load and he can just do what he does best. He could be the missing piece for someone. I hope he returns but he’s not the guy you give a huge deal to unless he’s the last piece of the puzzle. At OU, he’s not worth a huge deal.

There will be a lot of talent in the portal that could make us a much better team. Unfortunately, moser hasn’t shown the ability to get that talent to come to OU. Moser had recruited some good HS guys but has mostly failed terribly in the portal. If that doesn’t change, he’s done.

Yes, Tanner was one of the more coveted players in the portal that year.

I like Hill and wish him well no matter what he decides. Hill wouldn’t garner near the offers in the portal as Tanner did imo. 6-6 defensive-minded guys who can’t shoot outside are not going to be that hard to come by in the portal.

Jalen has a much higher FTand overall FG percentage.

except he doesn't

FT sure

TS% Groves .604 Hill .601
EFG% Groves .577 Hill .545

or just old school FG% Groves .523 Hill .507

argue if you want but don't make stuff up .

except he doesn't

FT sure

TS% Groves .604 Hill .601
EFG% Groves .577 Hill .545

or just old school FG% Groves .523 Hill .507

argue if you want but don't make stuff up .

I made a mistake. Saw Jacob's numbers on the FG%. Would like to think that you wouldn't honestly believe that I made something up.

In any event, my point remains that Jalen is a much better, more versatile player. Tanner disappeared for huge chunks of the season. Hill has games where he doesn't score much, but he always defends, plays with a high IQ, and rarely plays under 32 minutes unless we are getting blown out and Moser clears the bench. Tanner plays barely over 25 minutes a game because of fouls and prolonged stretches of ineffectiveness.

Let's see the list. He allegedly had an offer from Texas. Check out the other schools that were in his final three or four.

Not as good a passer. Three-point shooting is almost a wash, and Jalen has a much higher FT and overall FG percentage. Rebounding is of course going to favor him to some degree because of his height and position, but it's not a huge edge. And last I checked, defense is part of the game. Hill is a great defender, while Tanner can't defend without fouling and is helpless against athletic bigs -- which we will likely see again tomorrow. I bet you could poll every D-1 coach in the country and struggle to find more than a handful who would take Tanner over Jalen.

I think that jalen could be argued to be the more talented player, but OU has no viable 5 right now and i think that makes Groves def more valuable to OU, plus he has better stats..

And if given the choice, id take another year of Groves in the bag vs. Risking getting a new unknown 5. You could sway me if Collins was pretty well q sure thing and if he wouldnt come if groves were back..

Im just terrified rn until we get a 5 in the bag..

I made a mistake. Saw Jacob's numbers on the FG%. Would like to think that you wouldn't honestly believe that I made something up.

In any event, my point remains that Jalen is a much better, more versatile player. Tanner disappeared for huge chunks of the season. Hill has games where he doesn't score much, but he always defends, plays with a high IQ, and rarely plays under 32 minutes unless we are getting blown out and Moser clears the bench. Tanner plays barely over 25 minutes a game because of fouls and prolonged stretches of ineffectiveness.

sorry make something up was harsh .. we all make mistakes

Tanner had a huge foul issue and that massively hurt OU this season ..because they were much much better with him on the court ..

I think that jalen could be argued to be the more talented player, but OU has no viable 5 right now and i think that makes Groves def more valuable to OU, plus he has better stats..

And if given the choice, id take another year of Groves in the bag vs. Risking getting a new unknown 5. You could sway me if Collins was pretty well q sure thing and if he wouldnt come if groves were back..

Im just terrified rn until we get a 5 in the bag..

also agree with this

If Jalen leaves, I think most people on the board will be shocked to see how many really good programs want him.

Jalen Hill can be in the rotation on almost every team in the country

he is a winning player .. i would expect lots to want him just not at a huge dollar figure ..

Back