Next Year's Roster

That would be some lazy Portal recruiting if that is the lineup we start with next season.

a starting 5 is the #1 2 3 4 and 5 need .. if hill leaves a 4 is next ..

a shooting wing is 3rd IMHO

That would be some lazy Portal recruiting if that is the lineup we start with next season.

If we cannot get 2 starters from the portal then I would be ok moving on from Moser. Having said that, I am confident Moser will be able to get us a starter-quality big man and a scoring wing.

If we cannot get 2 starters from the portal then I would be ok moving on from Moser. Having said that, I am confident Moser will be able to get us a starter-quality big man and a scoring wing.

cooper is a better prospect then OU has had since trae young ..

it would not be surprising at all for him to start and play well

It's always risky to assume too much from freshmen. But even if you are right, if the word on the street is right, we will be losing 3 starters from this year. So even if Cooper comes in and starts from day one, we will still need 2 more starters, so Tiny's point is valid. And if Cooper doesn't set the world on fire, it is even more crucial that we strike portal gold. Like most who have posted on this thread, I find that highly unlikely.

Thinking about next year just frustrates me more about this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got Cooper penciled in to start along side Uzan. If Grant and Jalen leave, then every other spot is up for grabs imo. If we get a legit portal big man, I could see a lineup of:

Uzan
Oweh
Portal Wing
Cooper
Portal big

His recruiting rank is similar to Harmon, which is about where I'd expect his impact to be. He'll play and make an impact, possibly even start, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for an all-conference guy.

I’ve got Cooper penciled in to start along side Uzan. If Grant and Jalen leave, then every other spot is up for grabs imo. If we get a legit portal big man, I could see a lineup of:

Uzan
Oweh
Portal Wing
Cooper
Portal big

I actually kind of like that. Portal pending, this would be a nice team.

Moser has gotten decent/good production out of the portal/recruiting following his takeover.

2021:
*Recruits I don't count bc Lon's guys

Goldwire (starting PG)
Marvin Johnson (last year's BAM)
Jacob Groves (starting PF)
Tanner Groves (starting C)
Ethan Chargois (backup big)

2022:
(r) Oweh (now starting SG/SF)
(r) Uzan (now starting PG)
(r) Northweather (redshirt)

Sherfield (starting SG)
Bamisile (Marvin Johnson bench body)
Godwin (backup big)

247 ranked the composite class of 2021 as 38th, we finished 30th.
247 ranked the composite class of 2022 as 38th, we are 51st currently.
247 ranked the composite class of 2023 as 34th.

He has hit more than he has missed (as far as production), but perhaps not to the standards that most would like.

So I am very interested to see how the portal goes this year. Need a big hit and hopefully Benny/Luke can add some bench value.

Ideally looking at:

PG Uzan
SG Oweh
SF Cooper
PF Portal (if Hill leaves)
C Portal

*BOLD signifies a new starter for that year

Last edited:
Some of you guys don’t know basketball. Cole will be a non facto next year. Cooper may get in the rotation, but he’s very similar to Oweh. He will have a struggle adjusting to Moser.

Moser’s top two recruits should be Hill and Sherfield. One is a scorer and one is a comprplauer who can play in this league. Uzan and Oweh should be next. After that, everyone else is expendable.

Can Moser coach an athletic rim running big and instead of this euro big man type that he likes is the key question.

Moser has gotten decent/good production out of the portal/recruiting following his takeover.

2021:
*Recruits I don't count bc Lon's guys

Goldwire (starting PG)
Marvin Johnson (last year's BAM)
Jacob Groves (starting PF)
Tanner Groves (starting C)
Ethan Chargois (backup big)

2022:
(r) Oweh (now starting SG/SF)
(r) Uzan (now starting PG)
(r) Northweather (redshirt)

Sherfield (starting SG)
Bamisile (Marvin Johnson bench body)
Godwin (backup big)

247 ranked the composite class of 2021 as 38th, we finished 30th.
247 ranked the composite class of 2022 as 38th, we are 51st currently.
247 ranked the composite class of 2023 as 34th.

He has hit more than he has missed (as far as production), but perhaps not to the standards that most would like.

So I am very interested to see how the portal goes this year. Need a big hit and hopefully Benny/Luke can add some bench value.

Ideally looking at:

PG Uzan
SG Oweh
SF Cooper
PF Portal (if Hill leaves)
C Portal

*BOLD signifies a new starter for that year

Many of the guys you apparently count as portal hits started/played major minutes by default. After all, rules require you to have five players on the floor at all times. There is no world in which Jacob, Bam, or Marvin can be considered hits.

I read Tramel’s column this morning and Moser’s comments continue to worry me. He continues to make excuses (he cites age and experience as if he didn’t have three fourth-year and one fifth-year guys starting most of the season, and keeps acting as if he views the portal as a necessary evil rather than a chance to improve quickly. If anyone played a drinking game whenever he says “culture,” they would pass out within about 10 minutes.

Many of the guys you apparently count as portal hits started/played major minutes by default. After all, rules require you to have five players on the floor at all times. There is no world in which Jacob, Bam, or Marvin can be considered hits.

I read Tramel’s column this morning and Moser’s comments continue to worry me. He continues to make excuses (he cites age and experience as if he didn’t have three fourth-year and one fifth-year guys starting most of the season, and keeps acting as if he views the portal as a necessary evil rather than a chance to improve quickly. If anyone played a drinking game whenever he says “culture,” they would pass out within about 10 minutes.

Alright, I'll bite on you splitting hairs...

Goldwire, Tanner Big12 Honorable mention for 2021-22
Sherfield Big12 Honorable mention for 2022-23

That is 3 of the 8 who were recognized. If you argue those aren't portal hits, I don't know what to tell you. If you also expect every portal player to be a starter, then I also don't know what to tell you. For what OU needed, losing what Lon left, they filled the gaps and added production/value.

The other 5:

Ethan Chargois - backup F and good production
Jacob Groves - started, flopped in '23 except for the games he helped us win (MISS, but a rare HIT depending)
Joe Bamisile - No show, for the most part. (MISS)
Sam Godwin - backup and serviceable PWO big (exceeded my expectations)
Marvin Johnson - late bloomer, but not a hit. (MISS)

I think adding rotational players after what we lost, would be a hit in the portal instead of a body that doesn't see the floor. Bamisile is a miss, J. Groves is meh, and Marvin would be if not for the doghouse treatment.

So is 5 out of 8 more hit than miss? Or are we splitting hairs on language.

Example:

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1633111957304664066?s=20[/TWEET]

And the portal doesn't open until March 13th for undergrads. There's going to be a lot of talent out there.

Looks like it's almost time to start a portal thread.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1633469542734131201?s=20[/TWEET]

------------

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1633470470698745857?s=20[/TWEET]

Hopefully this year's version of the portal thread will bring some excitement instead of player after player choosing other schools besides OU.

yes sir !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is directed at NAIA in terms of him starting a Portal thread and not because we made a 14 team list for a kid that is likely not coming to Norman.

I hope this is directed at NAIA in terms of him starting a Portal thread and not because we made a 14 team list for a kid that is likely not coming to Norman.

It's clearly bc we were listed 10th on that scrambled list. BOOYA

Alright, I'll bite on you splitting hairs...

Goldwire, Tanner Big12 Honorable mention for 2021-22
Sherfield Big12 Honorable mention for 2022-23

That is 3 of the 8 who were recognized. If you argue those aren't portal hits, I don't know what to tell you. If you also expect every portal player to be a starter, then I also don't know what to tell you. For what OU needed, losing what Lon left, they filled the gaps and added production/value.

The other 5:

Ethan Chargois - backup F and good production
Jacob Groves - started, flopped in '23 except for the games he helped us win (MISS, but a rare HIT depending)
Joe Bamisile - No show, for the most part. (MISS)
Sam Godwin - backup and serviceable PWO big (exceeded my expectations)
Marvin Johnson - late bloomer, but not a hit. (MISS)

I think adding rotational players after what we lost, would be a hit in the portal instead of a body that doesn't see the floor. Bamisile is a miss, J. Groves is meh, and Marvin would be if not for the doghouse treatment.

So is 5 out of 8 more hit than miss? Or are we splitting hairs on language.

This might be oversimplifying things, but I guess in my mind I’d say that Grant is the only transfer he has landed who should be a Big 12 starter. If we keep ending up with guys like Tanner and Goldwire as our best portal guys, we will continue to be at or near the bottom of the league, and will continue to miss the tournament.
Those are guys who should be nice bench pieces on competitive Big 12 teams.

This might be oversimplifying things, but I guess in my mind I’d say that Grant is the only transfer he has landed who should be a Big 12 starter. If we keep ending up with guys like Tanner and Goldwire as our best portal guys, we will continue to be at or near the bottom of the league, and will continue to miss the tournament.
Those are guys who should be nice bench pieces on competitive Big 12 teams.

Moser should be able to get better players this year with our NIL in place. No doubt he needs to land a great portal class especially if we lose grant and jalen.

Back