Next Year's Roster

Mawein was also a transfer. He barely played and left after a year.

I was disappointed in this. I really thought that kid had the ability to contribute at a place like OU. Arkansas wanted him too, and they've done with the long, athletic types.

This might be oversimplifying things, but I guess in my mind I’d say that Grant is the only transfer he has landed who should be a Big 12 starter. If we keep ending up with guys like Tanner and Goldwire as our best portal guys, we will continue to be at or near the bottom of the league, and will continue to miss the tournament.
Those are guys who should be nice bench pieces on competitive Big 12 teams.

I agree with you here.

Perhaps it is us needing to look at how we gauge portal production. We valued it a little differently, but I very much agree moving forward we have to get hits and solid players, not just holdover-fillers.

Especially now that the Groves holdover is done.

True but not portal. So I filed him into recruiting...probably the first Moser "signee", but hard to put that much into it since it was a <2 month process.

You normally don't know about freshman for a year or two. Occasionally there is a really exceptional kid, but it usually take time to develop even the burger boys at Kentucky, Duke and Kansas. I like what I see in Los and Oweh. We just can't know if Bennie, Luke or Yaya are hits or misses yet. We haven't seen them play or practice (or practice for that matter). Yaya and Bennie were hurt for the 6 months prior to the season. So, it would be reasonable to wait and give those kids an offseason before deciding what they can bring to the table. Similarly, Cole and Cooper are unknowns (like all freshmen) but they are good and highly rated prospects. They are rated higher than most of the kids we had been getting prior to Moser. So, we can' t really know what we will get next year from them.

With the portal, we might not be done for next year either. Hopefully, we pick up a couple kids that can help. I get everyone's frustration but I guess I am just not as down about the direction of the program as many on here.

I know it goes both ways, but I just don't think we were very far from having a decent and improved year and being a tournament team. I'm no expert on basketball and readily admit I could be wrong and we will spiral downward under Moser, but I hope that isn't the case. I don't know him personally but he seems like a good family man and seems to treat the kid well. We know he can get a team to a final four with the right kids too.

True but not portal. So I filed him into recruiting...probably the first Moser "signee", but hard to put that much into it since it was a <2 month process.

He was a juco transfer--that's closer to a portal acquisition than to a standard recruit. Are you thinking of Mason? He was Moser's first signed recruit.

Porter's job is on the line next year.

He knows it. Everyone knows it.

I expect he'll attack the portal like his job depends on it.

If he doesn't, it won't be a problem next year.

It's that simple.

Many of the guys you apparently count as portal hits started/played major minutes by default. After all, rules require you to have five players on the floor at all times. There is no world in which Jacob, Bam, or Marvin can be considered hits.

I read Tramel’s column this morning and Moser’s comments continue to worry me. He continues to make excuses (he cites age and experience as if he didn’t have three fourth-year and one fifth-year guys starting most of the season, and keeps acting as if he views the portal as a necessary evil rather than a chance to improve quickly. If anyone played a drinking game whenever he says “culture,” they would pass out within about 10 minutes.

Yikes.. but i guess what do you expect him to say? I failed? We better use every dang scholly wr have this year in the portal.

There will be a lot of talent in the portal every year moving forward with the new rules. You can split hairs on Mosers “hits” or misses in the portal. I think he’s mostly failed because he continues to build a last place roster. We are the least talented team in the Big12. There is no universe where that’s acceptable. That is failure by any measure.

This will all sort itself out tho. Another year like the first two and moser will be fired.

He was a juco transfer--that's closer to a portal acquisition than to a standard recruit. Are you thinking of Mason? He was Moser's first signed recruit.

Still not portal. JUCO is closer to a standard recruit, IMO.

Mason was the first yes, but again...since it was a quick turnaround, I don't count those guys against Moser. He just didn't have time. Portal was the only real way for him and that is what I went by above.

Still not portal. JUCO is closer to a standard recruit, IMO.

Mason was the first yes, but again...since it was a quick turnaround, I don't count those guys against Moser. He just didn't have time. Portal was the only real way for him and that is what I went by above.

A transfer is a transfer; it's the acquiring of a player with college experience (though all but perhaps abd would agree that D1 and juco are two very different levels of experience). And it's worth remembering that Moser had been recruiting Mason at Loyola, so it wasn't an under-2 months thing at all (the same might have been true of Mawein, too--that Moser had been trying to bring him in at Loyola).

A transfer is a transfer; it's the acquiring of a player with college experience (though all but perhaps abd would agree that D1 and juco are two very different levels of experience). And it's worth remembering that Moser had been recruiting Mason at Loyola, so it wasn't an under-2 months thing at all (the same might have been true of Mawein, too--that Moser had been trying to bring him in at Loyola).

*facepalm* Whatever makes you feel better about it.

Mawein was a Patrick recruit. He was committed to arky until Patrick came to ou. Mason has done pretty well at the small school he went to. Either way, I agree they were both busts at ou. I don’t think they are some black mark on Moser’s ability to recruit though. His high school recruiting (which has been very good) is a better indicator of his recruiting skills imo.

Mawein was a Patrick recruit. He was committed to arky until Patrick came to ou. Mason has done pretty well at the small school he went to. Either way, I agree they were both busts at ou. I don’t think they are some black mark on Moser’s ability to recruit though. His high school recruiting (which has been very good) is a better indicator of his recruiting skills imo.

I wish he had like 2-3 other HS recruits including a 5..

1 Grant Sherfield/Bijan Cortes
2 Milos Uzan/C.J. Noland/Joe Bamisile
3 Otega Oweh/Kaden Cooper/Jacob Groves/Benny Schröder
4 Jalen Hill/Jacolb Cole/Yaya Keita
5 Sam Godwin/Luke Northweather

Obviously this is pre-roster turnover, but that looks like tourney team to me. Need an upgrade at 5.

Obviously this is pre-roster turnover, but that looks like tourney team to me. Need an upgrade at 5.

That roster would definitely make the (Big 12) tournament. :)

keita is only a 5 and unless Northweather is very very good and ready to play that is a terrible roster at the 5 ..

*facepalm* Whatever makes you feel better about it.

Feel better about what? I stated that Mawein was a transfer and so he was. I don't see a big difference between a juco and a portal transfer, especially when compared to a high school recruit. That's it.

A roster has been listed without anyone on the list considered to go int the portal. Will Grant return who knows. Other pieces may jump ship also. Moser better have a really good idea right now who will return and be ready to jump as the portal opens once the season is over for teams.

I'll start the portal thread tonight (or tomorrow).

BUT THIS KID CAN PLAY. Just watched Towson almost beat Charleston the other night (won my gamble which is what mattered most, lol). Timberlake has a really great looking shot. I'm sure he'll land at higher major than OU but man, he'd be a fantastic addition. I bet OU tries, at least.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/NickJTimberlake/status/1633557352979767297?s=20[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Back