Nolan Dennis update on ouinsider

Sooner23

Reaction score
Basically says what we'd already heard before that his favorites are OU and UConn. Said he's going to visit UConn this weekend, then OU and then make a decision. So we get the last shot, which is good.

Also mentioned that he has been talking to Willie, and that he has played with Willie and TMG before. The article is premium and there's a lot more than I just recapped, so if you're a subscriber over there here is the link. It's actually a pretty extensive interview by Hale.........

http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110453

Last edited:
If it's down to OU and UCONN, I like our chances. UCONN is obviously a better basketball program than OU, but there is some instability up there right now. Do we know for certain that Calhoun is coming back? Even if he does, will he be around the season after that? UCONN is also the subject of some NCAA scrutiny right now. OU, on the other hand, is a program that is headed to the top. Even though we just lost the best in our program's history, I still feel like our best days are still ahead of us. I really hope he comes here. Next year, we'll have a true PG in Mason-Griffin, an superstar in Willie, a lockdown defender in Crocker, and a solid post scorer in Tiny Gallon. All we're missing is a sharpshooter. Why not Nolan Dennis?

I don't know what the NCAA rules are regarding players recruiting other players, but Willie and Tommy need to keep pestering Dennis to come to OU. He's from Dallas for crying out loud. OU is simply the logical choice.

Nice job by JH. Looks like OU is in a good position by getting Nolan's last visit and the relationship he has with WW, TMG and our coaches. I would also think that being closer to his home will be a factor in his decision, but you never know with these kids. He is certainly confident in his ability to deliver most anything a team needs offensively and defensively.

Dennis would be a huge good and make us absolutely loaded at guard. Sounds like we got a good shot! That would absolutely make us an across the board top 5 class. I know we are already as high as 4th and 6th, but you could make a case for us in the top 3, with 2 MCDAA, another top 40-50 guy and a couple other top 75-100 guys plus Hardrick.

I am ready for next year already!

I would be excited to get a top 50 caliber player, a team can never have enough. I haven't seen a lot of him, but I see he is in the 6'5'' range. So is it a safe assumption to say he is more of a 3? It seems like he could be a good fit when we went to a 4 guard lineup.

He would give us crazy depth at the wing position. WW, Crock, Nolan, Pledger, Willis, and Cade would make us as deep as we have ever been. I know WW will play some point, but I would feel good about the 2 and the 3 position with those guys.

Sounds like he is a true SG who can run some point, with good handles and a good shot. Haven't seen him play but seems like a good compliment to WW.

OU will be loaded at the guard/wing positions if we get Dennis, but you can never have too many tall, athletic back court players who can shoot, score and defend. Here's what ESPNU had to say about him when he committed to Memphis last July:

Memphis head coach John Calipari landed his first 2009 commitment on Thursday when shooting guard Nolan Dennis chose the Tigers. Dennis, ranked No. 25 overall in the ESPN 100, picked Memphis over national powers UCLA, Texas and North Carolina among many others.

"I think it's because of coach Calipari," his mother, Carol Dennis, told the Commercial Appeal. "He's a great man, great coach and great human being, period. He brought the best out, as far as my son felt, when he went to his camp. He just fell in love with (Calipari) and the style, the fit of the game and the way he coaches."

According to ESPN's Scouts, Inc., Dennis' strength is his ability to shoot the basketball. "He possesses one of the purest strokes in the country in the 2009 class. He is an excellent student and is an elite high major prospect. He can read screens, has a quick release and can shoot it from deep. You will not find many players who shoot it as well as Dennis and every time he shoots it, you think it is going in the basket."

Sounds like a great grab and I also like our chances vs. the current situation at UCONN, however I am kind of worried bout having a possible 1 senior 1 soph 3 freshman starting line up.

This is the kind of potential impact player I was saying we needed a couple of weeks ago. Not to mention, the following season with WW and Crocker leaving, a get like this would leave us in good shape.

Two years from now:

TMG
Pledger
Dennis
Tiny
Fitz

Two years from now:

TMG
Pledger
Dennis
Tiny
Fitz

That would be a great lineup. Weird though, to have all soph's starting. But in two years, it would definitely be a possibility given our current roster.

If he signed would this be our most highly touted class? ...ever?

Per Rivals

Ht: 6-foot-5
Wt: 185 lbs
Shooting: Outstanding
Rebounding: Good
Handle: Outstanding
Passing: Good
Strength: Developing

The shooting is what excites me the most. We are a consistent, pure shooter away from being very good again next year. As I noted in my previous post, we have all the other pieces.

If he signed would this be our most highly touted class? ...ever?

Our 2004 class with Lavender, McKenzie, Foust, Longar and a couple of top JUCOs in Gray and Everett was ranked in the top ten and as high as #5 by one recruiting service. None that I can recall have ever been ranked as high as #4, which is ESPN's ranking of our 2009 class as it stands right now. If Dennis joins this class, I would expect to see it move higher on everyone's list. So, the answer to your question is, yes.

Our 2004 class with Lavender, McKenzie, Foust, Longar and a couple of top JUCOs in Gray and Everett was ranked in the top ten and as high as #5 by one recruiting service. None that I can recall have ever been ranked as high as #4, which is ESPN's ranking of our 2009 class as it stands right now. If Dennis joins this class, I would expect to see it move higher on everyone's list. So, the answer to your question is, yes.
Wasn't Gray and Everett the year after Lavender and Foust?

You're combining classes. Lavender, McKenzie, and Foust were a part of the 2003 class. Gray and Everett came in the next year.

Lavender was actually the 2003 class and it was Drew, L Mac, Foust, Tobias, and Jaison Williams. Longar came from prep school. In retrospect that class was a little overrated and this class definitely looks to be better and have more potential.

This is one where I hope WW seals the deal. A visit to UConn is tough to beat. Especially when their stadium seats 20K.

I agree with everyone. This is the guys we need. I've seen Nolan play with the Dallas Mustangs AAU. I was very impressed with his handles and scoring ability. When I first heard about him. I thought he was just a shooter, but he's more than that. He's a scorer that can get his shot in many ways. He's a better slasher than he gets credit for. He can also play defense when he applies himself more. I really think this is one of the key pieces to the puzzle. Cade and Ray better get ready to compete because Nolan can help us right away. COME ON DOWN NOLAN! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Back