Observations during Wisconsin game

ocugolfsooner

Reaction score
I admittedly just watched the game last night on DVR, and therefore already knew the outcome of the 2nd half wasn't pretty. Not sure if that skews my analysis.

Overall, thought they showed what their capable of and was generally pleased with what I saw, especially in the first half obviously, but here are some things that are leaving me scratching my head in this game and in the season so far in general.

1) Why is Freeman starting/getting so many minutes? Lon must see something I don't because all I see is a guy with a great shot, but not much else. I think he will be good down the line, but this year I'm not sure he should be on the floor much. This team desperately needs help on the boards and he doesn't provide much there at all.

2) Why is Lon giving CJ Cole minutes in games like this? Northern Colorado? Fine. But not in a game like this. Get Buford out of the doghouse and onto the floor more.

3) Does anyone know why Woodard sat the last 8 or 9 minutes? It really seemed like Lon was more interested in providing teaching moments for this team rather than competing once we got down 7 or 8 points. Was a little odd.

4) While McGusty certainly has shown why he was a highly rated recruit with his offensive skill set, does the ball seem to get pretty sticky when it touches his hands to anyone else? Has had too many unnecessary turnovers.

5) Christian James is trying too hard and obviously is feeling pressure to be "the guy." No other explanation for his play so far and his struggles at the line and with foul trouble. Needs to get out of his own way.

6) Lattin's basketball IQ is pretty low, I don't see it improving. I cringe when he touches the ball. At least he has significantly improved his offensive skills, but he gets abused by stronger players down low. McNeace might be even skinnier than Lattin.

Don''t take all the above as being overly negative, like I said I was somewhat pleased with what I saw and think this team could be pretty good by the end of the year, just some observations on things that have been issues so far.

I agree with most everything you stated.
Freeman moves his feet well on D, but has to get more RBs/
CJ Cole gets abused the second he enters a game
McGusty has had several Walking TOs. He really needs some practice in catching the ball and establishing both feet. It is embarrassing to see some of the sloppiness.

Odomes had by far his best game. Impressive at times.

I didn't expect OU to win the game and 20pt defeat was about where I thought it would end up. Maybe picking them to finish in the middle of pack was correct. Still way to early they can either get better, stay about the same, or get worse...I think they get stronger

Ball sticks with everyone at this point from what I have seen. Just doesn't seem like guys are on the same page. Hate to say this but at times I get the feeling guys just don't pass it because they think it's "my turn to shoot" Lattin, Woodard, Buford and Odomes I believe do this. Love the future of this team, but the only way we win big games this year is by teamwork and really moving the ball. We need to be making that extra pass for the wide open 3 instead of forcing it. This team is not good enough to play that way in my opinion.

Side note: I thought we gave Wisconsin way too much room all day. It was like we were afraid of guys beating us off the dribble so we played off. Wisconsin shot it well and hit too many 3s for us to win.

Agree with everything, ball movement has been horrible. Also, Doolittle needs to be much more aggressive offensively. In my utopia OU moves the ball in fluid half court sets, sets screens and lets anyone open shoot(within reason). It doesn't look like they work on half court that much. If they do it sure doesn't look like it. I'm not saying go Gene Hackman in Hoosiers on them making them pass it four times, but Woodard dribbling around in circles while the other 4 watch is not only ugly but very ineffective. I know OU's offense is predicated on creating mismatches, but so far all the mismatches they're creating seem to be not in our favor, and causing some pretty terrible shot selection.

This is going to a rough year.. we're probably another season or 2 away from being serious contenders for anything. Have to get Trae

actually the ball movement has NOT been terrible. it was just 1,2, and 3 games ago we were saying "the ball movement was good but no shots were dropping".

let's not mistake a mistake for a tendency. we had been passing up many shots so coach reminded them to shoot the good ones and they shot many more without hesitation. That first half was some of the best shooting we've had yet this season. Of course it went to total crap in the second ... but with youth comes inconsistency. I actually liked the way they took shots in the first half and I am sure coach did too. they will come up with a good balance as the season progresses. I'd rather them shoot more openly like they did saturday because we have good shooters.

4 assists for the game. Nobody with more than one. How is that even possible?

Almost seems like were still conducting tryouts and guys are trying to show what they can do to earn more minutes rather than trying to play their role and play within the team concept. Lon is still trying out all kinds of roster combos, to the point where I have no clue what the pattern or rationale for who is on the floor during the game.

Last edited:
Almost seems like were still conducting tryouts and guys are trying to show what they can do to earn more minutes rather than trying to play their role and play within the team concept. Lon is still trying out all kinds of roster combos, to the point where I have no clue what the pattern or rationale for who is on the floor during the game.

I think in many cases they still are. Need to trim the rotation at some point obviously.

We don't just need Young, we need a good big with some girth who can eat some space and score inside. Hopefully the Euro will be at least serviceable.

On a different note, at what point does Kruger stop the "tryouts" and start winnowing down his rotation and trying to get some sort of rhythm? Four more games till conference...

On a different note, at what point does Kruger stop the "tryouts" and start winnowing down his rotation and trying to get some sort of rhythm? Four more games till conference...

I think that's your answer. Hopefully he's got a feel by then.

We don't just need Young, we need a good big with some girth who can eat some space and score inside.

WHY do you guys keep saying this? It isn't 1953. When will you all figure out that basketball has moved beyond that? And, in fact, that model isn't even particularly effective anymore. The better view is actually 4 long guards and a forward.

WHY do you guys keep saying this? It isn't 1953. When will you all figure out that basketball has moved beyond that? And, in fact, that model isn't even particularly effective anymore. The better view is actually 4 long guards and a forward.

Still need some players who can muscle a rebound. We're getting abused.

Still need some players who can muscle a rebound. We're getting abused.

Yep. I would say it's like in football needing a receiver that can stretch the field, it opens things up. Having a large big who has to be accounted for down low by one or maybe two people would help. Lattin gets pushed out way far off the block, then if the ball doesn't get slapped away he jacks up a fall away turnaround jumper from 15-17 feet. Even though he's made some of them and has improved his offense, it's not a good shot and it doesn't really help OU's guards/wings, or the overall court spacing in the half court. I don't think OU can rely on the Iowa St model this year, where they just 3 point people to death with an athletic but skinny big. Hield and Cousins are gone.

Lon does not believe in a motion and passing O. Or does not know how to effectively coach it. Villanova, NC, KS, Iowa St. Duke, etc all move and pass efficiently. Their young players learns how the coach wants them to play or they do not get much PT

Youth is the issue and should be no surprise in this rebuilding year. I don't know why Woodard stayed on the bench but aside from that they seem on course to make the dance.

Youth is the issue and should be no surprise in this rebuilding year. I don't know why Woodard stayed on the bench but aside from that they seem on course to make the dance.

It's early, but I'm not sure that I agree with this. The Big 12, like last year, is absolutely brutal. WV just won at Virginia; Baylor won the Atlantis tournament and just beat Xavier at home; and KU is KU again. We still have to play Wichita State and Florida (both Kenpom top 20 teams). This is sizing up to be a tough year.....and at the same, we are rebuilding....ugh.

Candidly, I'm concerned that I haven't seen more progression from this team. We don't value the ball, basketball "smarts" are inconsistent at best, and I haven't seen roles established yet for certain players. I trust Kruger, but this is turning out to be more work to be a good team than I thought....considering all the moving parts. Right now, we have the look of an NIT team.

Back