On the subject of Cade...

Shooterms

Reaction score
All of them did some really, really good things. I thought Cade Davis did a very good job on James Anderson.~Jeff Capel

We were trying to get James (Anderson) to come off a screen and Cade (Davis) played really physical with him and he couldn’t get the ball.~Travis Ford

Well, Davis is a guy you want to have on the floor, because of all the things he does out there.~Bobby Knight

More high praise for a guy some people think shouldn't be on a Big 12 team.

More high praise for a guy some people think shouldn't be on a Big 12 team.

I know you and I haven't agreed on Cade since he has been at OU. But I've never said he shouldn't be on a Big 12 team. I do, still, think that if he is playing on a good, solid top 25 type team, he probably needs to be the 5th guard. I think he is the 4th guard at OU, and that is just one spot to high.

That said, he reminds me a bit of Tony Crocker. I say that b/c he is inconsistent in everything except his effort. One game he'll look like a very good defender. The next he can't stay in front of his man. I think that has to do with the speed of the players he is defending. He did a good job last night, but the guards for OSU that he defended, really aren't fleet of foot.

On offense, his shot has gone to crap. Sorry, but that is a factual statement. I cringe everytime he shoots a 3 anymore. I like it when he drives, b/c he is usually under control, but again, he'll do it 2-3 times one game, then he won't do it for 2 games. I think again, it has to do with the competition, and their speed. OSU is a much better matchup for Cade then say, Baylor.

JMO.

I've been very pleased with Cade this year though. He's probably being asked to play more than he should be, and aside from his shooting, I can live with what he's contributed.

I've been very pleased with Cade this year though. He's probably being asked to play more than he should be, and aside from his shooting, I can live with what he's contributed.

This right here, he doesn't get this type of burn on a really good Big XII caliber team, but he is playing the hand he is dealt so you have to commend him for it.

Same with Crocker.

That steal he got off a deflection toward the end when he got fouled on the layup. That was just hustle and staying after the ball. It is the kind of effort we need from everybody. Hopefully he will bust out with some more nice shooting nights this year.

TU, I wasn't referring to you on the Big 12 comment.

I know that in the past, Cade was to pretty much play the role of the 3 point shooter. That was never a role he played in HS. He was not a Rotnei or a Keiton. I think this year, he has been given more latitude to do other things, and that includes going to the hoop.

James Anderson is no slouch. He scored 37 on OU last year and was held to half that this year. Cade played a big role in that.

In several of the games he has not driven, he wasn't given an opportunity to do so when he was wide open.

Anyway, I know you and I have gone back and forth over the years about Cade, but your criticism is never insulting or demeaning. It is one thing to say his "shot has gone to crap" and still quite another to say that he doesn't belong on the court and brings nothing.

That steal he got off a deflection toward the end when he got fouled on the layup. That was just hustle and staying after the ball. It is the kind of effort we need from everybody. Hopefully he will bust out with some more nice shooting nights this year.

I agree. Another big play, that went unnoticed, was the fact he altered Page's shot on the 3 ball when he jumped right in front of him and almost deflected it. This was fairly late in the game (less than 3 minutes left).

he's great at tipping the ball out on a missed shot or free throw. seems like he gets a crucial one every close game we've been in, as he did last night.

Cade needs to be on the floor for this team because of the hustle plays he makes. He is excellent at tipping rebounds, coming up with loose balls, and coming up with steals. It cannot really be argued that right now he is one of the better defenders on our team. Yes he is mediocre offensively hut we really miss his hustle when he's not on the floor.

I agree. Another big play, that went unnoticed, was the fact he altered Page's shot on the 3 ball when he jumped right in front of him and almost deflected it. This was fairly late in the game (less than 3 minutes left).

I watched that again on slo-mo and it looked like Cade's fingers brushed the ball. His fingers bent back as if they touched the ball. Regardless, even if he didn't deflect it, he altered the shot.

I watched that again on slo-mo and it looked like Cade's fingers brushed the ball. His fingers bent back as if they touched the ball. Regardless, even if he didn't deflect it, he altered the shot.

I thought he blocked it as well when watching it live.

yeah, i think he barely grazed part of keiton's shot as well. the weird thing is the ball still went sailing over the rim. the shot might have missed worse had cade not tipped it.

:cade

surely someone needs a new avatar

I was thinking about this the other day and I wanted to get some opinions....as bad as cade is struggling from three....when we run a four guard lineup why dont we try and switch crocker and cade...move crocker to the three on offense and have cade play more downlow/highpost....feed the ball into cade on the highpost and let him pass or drive....I believe crocker is the better shooter and more athletic so this may work

On defense I would leave this alone

I was thinking about this the other day and I wanted to get some opinions....as bad as cade is struggling from three....when we run a four guard lineup why dont we try and switch crocker and cade...move crocker to the three on offense and have cade play more downlow/highpost....feed the ball into cade on the highpost and let him pass or drive....I believe crocker is the better shooter and more athletic so this may work

On defense I would leave this alone

I really like this suggestion. With Cade at the high post it gives him a chance to use his basketball IQ to get the ball to the open man, while also letting Cade have mid-range looks.

Back