ORU signs Northern OK forward

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Kid coached by Bret Weiberg, a guy I played against growing up and brother of one of the fallen on he OSU plane crash.

Javier Nasarre, a 6-foot-9 forward from Northern-Tonkawa, signed a letter of intent to play men’s basketball with ORU on Thursday.

Nasarre, from Spain, averaged 8.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and a little over two blocked shots per game last season, Northern-Tonkawa head coach Brett Weiberg said.

Nasarre was improving rapidly in 2008-09, but was virtually unknown to recruiters until the last month of the season, Weiberg said.

“I didn’t call people and let them know about him until I knew for sure he had improved enough to play at the next level,” Weiberg said. “He kept improving and improving. His skill level is good. He can shoot (3-pointers), runs the floor, makes free throws, and he’s gonna defend.”

The addition of Nassare gives ORU three newcomers signed for the 2009-10 season, and the Eagles also have a commitment from Michael Craion, a 6-foot-5 guard from Independence (Kan.). The Eagles previously signed 6-foot-9 center Damen Bell-Holter and 6-foot-2 guard Hunter McClintock.

Man, they have a sorry class. They could have gotten Runnels and the juco kids from Redlands to have a better class than this. Even Jeremy Lay, the Southeast kid who went to Hawaii. I personally like the Edmond North Kid that went to OCC. He's a skilled 6'9 guy with a good touch. East Popcorn State has a better class than this.

Kid coached by Bret Weiberg, a guy I played against growing up and brother of one of the fallen on he OSU plane crash.

Man, they have a sorry class. They could have gotten Runnels and the juco kids from Redlands to have a better class than this. Even Jeremy Lay, the Southeast kid who went to Hawaii. I personally like the Edmond North Kid that went to OCC. He's a skilled 6'9 guy with a good touch. East Popcorn State has a better class than this.

I thought you were telling me that they were recruiting better than TU... While they are signing these clowns, TU signed the #1 player in Tulsa (Pope), the #13 point guard nationally (Medder), and a 6'11'' athlete with offers from A&M, TCU, and Tulsa who didnt play his senior year due to injury (Maduka)... Maduka was averaging 17.4 points, 13 rebounds, and 7.4 blocks per game at Arlington Martin thru 6 games prior to breaking his ankle. He was on track to have a monster season. TU is also the leader for DJ Magley, a top 150 guy out of high school who might transfer from WKU.

A couple of years back ORU did recruit better than TU because the based their recruiting largely on instate guards and cherry picking post players. That was TU's strategy under Tubby, Robinson, and Self. The last few years it has reversed some, but TU still isn't signing great guys. Uzoh and Jordan are definetely standouts, but the guy who just transfered and the South American PG. I think both TU and ORU need to go back and get to signing these good instate guards and going the prep school ranks and Juco ranks in getting guards. Wayne Runnels was a guy who would have been a good get for both. Both should have secured a commit from Tharone Chilton from BTW for the class of 2010.

Hey Dirty,

I live in Tonkawa and was on the high school staff when Brett and Jared played for the Buccaneers. Where are you from?

The kid from Spain has some skills. He can shoot the ball and has some offenisve skills but he is pretty soft and doesn't like to bang around the basket. One game he would be lights out and then not show up the next game.

Pretty frustrating for the NOC staff.

Runnels would of been a nice get for anyone. He will be making money playing ball somewhere after his two years at Creighton. Especially if he wants to go overseas. Jeremy Lay would of been a great pick up for Tulsa or ORU.

Next year, Ben Smith out of Northern-Enid will be a good pick up for someone. He will be a stud and maybe follow Runnels as POY in Conference.

Last edited:
A couple of years back ORU did recruit better than TU because the based their recruiting largely on instate guards and cherry picking post players. That was TU's strategy under Tubby, Robinson, and Self. The last few years it has reversed some, but TU still isn't signing great guys. Uzoh and Jordan are definetely standouts, but the guy who just transfered and the South American PG. I think both TU and ORU need to go back and get to signing these good instate guards and going the prep school ranks and Juco ranks in getting guards. Wayne Runnels was a guy who would have been a good get for both. Both should have secured a commit from Tharone Chilton from BTW for the class of 2010.

ORU got some really good players because they took chances on guys that were not locks to quallify. They continued to recruit that way and have had a lot of players not quallify.

ORU got some really good players because they took chances on guys that were not locks to quallify. They continued to recruit that way and have had a lot of players not quallify.

Are you talking about the kid from Muskogee?

They had a lot of kids they signed that had zero chance of qualifying.

JoJo Noles Central
The kid from Edmond that I can't remember

THey took a chance on Green. The reason TU didn't recruit him was he was not supposed to qualify even Caleb told me that.

JoJo Noles? Junior Blunt's Brother? He's Ebi's age?

I've lived in Tonkawa for years til about a year ago when we moved back to Ponca City. My oldest son played basketball with Weiberg's boy. Handles the ball well and was playing up an age group. I think he was around 6 playing in 8 and under ball. Good people.

Back