OSU basketball team looking good on paper

Sooner23

Reaction score
Sounds like they're feelin good about their squad up there in Stilltown.

OSU basketball team looking good on paper
BY JOHN HELSLEY, Staff Writer, jhelsley@opubco.com Comments Comment on this article2
Published: October 23, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Running through an expanded roster of 14 that now features legitimate size in the middle, Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford smiled and shrugged.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/cowboys-looking-good-on-paper/article/3411174#ixzz0V3G5yuIG

"On paper, it looks pretty good,” Ford said.

Live, standing side by side, the Cowboys look pretty good, too, certainly more like a basketball team than the vertically challenged squad that scrapped its way into the NCAA Tournament a year ago. Truth is, Ford likes what he sees — a lot.

Still, considering much of his optimism is tied up in the infusion of seven newcomers, he’s trying to contain himself.

With an average age of 19, the Cowboys are the youngest team in the Big 12. But there’s a solid core of returning players in James Anderson, a Preseason All-Big 12 pick, Obi Muonelo, Keiton Page and Marshall Moses. Nick Sidorakis returns from a reserve role.

"You would think that we’re probably in a rebuilding stage,” Ford said, "but we’re not really approaching it that way, because of the returning players we have as the backbone of our team.

"We think we have a chance to have a very fun and exciting year.”

Where Moses, at 6-foot-7, stood as OSU’s big man a year ago, help has arrived inside. A 6-8 transfer from Kentucky, Matt Pilgrim is drawing raves from Ford as the team’s strongest and most athletic player. Freshmen Jarred Shaw and Torin Walker are 6-10 and 6-11, respectively. And 6-11 sophomore Teeng Akol may be emerging from "project” status.

More help arrives on the wing and at the guard slots, with some of the top-rated recruits in a touted class.

"It’s a different look,” said Muonelo, the team’s lone senior. "Last year we were undersized. This year, with the additions we have, we’re so athletic.”

Practices should be more productive, with more bodies and bigger bodies. The veterans have a better understanding of Ford’s system and what it requires.

And there’s the carryover value of last season’s late run, when the Cowboys grew up before our eyes, earning their way into the NCAA Tournament. Said Ford: "We think we’ve improved ourselves in every area, except maybe the point guard spot. Obviously, when you lose a four-year starter in Byron Eaton, you’re just not going to replace him overnight.”

Point guard play is vital for any team, but particularly vital for one that runs the floor like Ford’s squads.

These Cowboys are likely to feature freshmen at the point, Ray Penn and/or Fred Gulley, or Page.

"I have no question Keiton can do it,” Ford said, "it’s just we’d like to get him at that two-guard spot.”

Right now, Ford said he’s comfortable with a group of seven or eight players, yet would like for one or two more to join the mix.

A mix he likes for new and old.

"Part of me is like, you’ve got seven new players and you say, ‘Oh man, it’s going to be ...’” Ford said. "Then you talk about James Anderson and you talk about Obi Muonelo and you talk about Keiton Page and it’s kind of different.

"What’s that going to equate to? To be determined.”

http://www.newsok.com/cowboys-looking-good-on-paper/article/3411174

Optimism is nothing new in Stillwater. Results to match the hype? Well, that has been a different story in the past few years.

That said, I was impressed with what Ford accomplished with the team he had last year. They played hard, and that's all you can ask when you're undersized and out-manned in nearly every game. It will be interesting to see what he can do with more size and depth this season.

That's not surprising at all. What do you expect them to say. We're going to have another year that doesn't meet our expectations. We still have no one inside that can d up a decent post player? They're just disappointed that Blake left because they were really looking forward to ending his career with the various array of cheap shots and dirty plays that have become the norm in Stoolwater.

I think OSU could be the 4th best team in the conference, and they will give us all kinds of problems. I don't like OSU but they aren't a bad team by any means.

They have one player that would see substantial minutes at OU as I think that Anderson > Crocker.

Past that:

TMG > Penn
WW > Page
TG > Obi [More on this in a second]
RW = Moses

JMHO, but if they finish above .500 with a tough North schedule I "might" give it up to Edsel and his coaching ability.; until then I think that he inherited some moderately talented guys from the prior regime.

What I like about our chances to sweep them is that our line-up automatically takes them out of what they want to do. They want to play four guards with Obi being almost like a PF, but our PF is 6'10 and 300lbs. Obi could guard Taylor adequately, I don't think that he'd hold up against Tiny, not for long anyway.

Every year is the year of the cowboy! A team on the rise....

They have one player that would see substantial minutes at OU as I think that Anderson > Crocker.

Past that:

TMG > Penn
WW > Page
TG > Obi [More on this in a second]
RW = Moses

JMHO, but if they finish above .500 with a tough North schedule I "might" give it up to Edsel and his coaching ability.; until then I think that he inherited some moderately talented guys from the prior regime.

What I like about our chances to sweep them is that our line-up automatically takes them out of what they want to do. They want to play four guards with Obi being almost like a PF, but our PF is 6'10 and 300lbs. Obi could guard Taylor adequately, I don't think that he'd hold up against Tiny, not for long anyway.

Maybe Wright came a long way in the offseason, and you guys are hearing good things about him, but compared to last season this would be like me saying: Nick Sidorakis = Tony Crocker or something.

OU is better than OSU, but OSU has some good guards and should make the NCAA again.

Moses > RW

At this point saying one team is better than the other is no more than here say. Lets get a few games in first.

KU and Texas are the cream of the crop. After those two who knows. To say that OU will be better than OSU or vise versa is a stretch and probably depends which team you support.

KU and Texas are the cream of the crop. After those two who knows. To say that OU will be better than OSU or vise versa is a stretch and probably depends which team you support.

no it's not.

Have fun trying to stop Tiny, TMG and Willie. Dang those guys are going to be good this year, just amazing at the way they play.

I think Ford is a good coach and I like his style of play, but I think they will problems early running his O without an established PG.

Optimism is nothing new in Stillwater. Results to match the hype? Well, that has been a different story in the past few years.

What in the world are you talking about?

Weren't we picked like 7th in the league pre-season last year?

We've just been hoping and praying that we MIGHT make it back to the NCAA tournament, let alone win a game.

I would say that last year exceeded expectations.

Have fun trying to stop Tiny, TMG and Willie. Dang those guys are going to be good this year, just amazing at the way they play.

Assuming true freshmen are going to come in and dominate, regardless of recruiting stars, is always a dicey proposition, IMO.

Assuming true freshmen are going to come in and dominate, regardless of recruiting stars, is always a dicey proposition, IMO.

He didnt say dominate. Why is it such a leap to assume 2 mcdonalds all americans will come in and play very well? I dont think it is

Last edited:
OsU basketball will be exactly like OsU football. Lots of offense, no defense. 5'7 and 5'9 guards are big time liabilities on defense, I don't care what you say.

Didn't say dominate, I'm just basing on what I've seen after watching two practices that whoever OSU puts at PG and whatever big they try to match up with Tiny are going have trouble stopping both of them. I think the games this year will be real track meets, should be the exact opposite of some of those Sampson vs Sutton battles.

Moses > RW

At this point saying one team is better than the other is no more than here say. Lets get a few games in first.

I respectfully disagree; however, I still haven't heard any retorts as to who guards the other 6'10" guy that'll be around 280 at that point of the season.

I think you can get away with four guards in the Patriot League, not so much in the Big 12 against the elite teams like KU, UT and OU that have good athletes with length.

Back