OU Baseball (2017 Season)

SoonerSports.com: Shortened Bedlam Series to Conclude Saturday
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211601360&KEY=

OKLAHOMA CITY – For the second night in a row the Bedlam baseball series between No. 20 University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State was washed out due to rain and lightning. Game one, which was originally postponed from Thursday night in Tulsa and entered a rain delay in the middle of the fifth on Friday, will resume at 4:35 p.m. Saturday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. Gates will open at 3:30 p.m. ahead of the game's resumption in the bottom of the fifth inning. Oklahoma trails Oklahoma State, 5-2.

Following the conclusion of game one, the Sooners and Cowboys will play the second and final game of the series at Saturday's originally scheduled 7:05 p.m. first pitch.

The Sooners had made it all Spring without losing a scheduled conference game to the weather. That changed this weekend, as there will only be 2 Bedlam games played. A third game will not be played.

After storms and heavy rains on Thursday and Friday, the rest of the weekend looks to have wonderful weather.

NOTE: Win or lose, OU will be the #3 Seed in the Big-12 Tournament, behind TCU and Texas Tech. OSU needs to win to get into the Tournament.

Big-12 Standings
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/conference/Big-12

Last edited:
well crappy day..

I swear,it seems OU just gets a **** day every now and then..in several sports.

softball loses to a 28/31 record team...
baseball down 2/7 in 7th to a crappy osu team..

May 29, 2017 - Sooners Earn Two-Seed in Louisville Regional
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211609916

(Excerpt)

The University of Oklahoma baseball team was selected as the two-seed in the NCAA Louisville Regional hosted by the No. 7 overall seed Louisville Cardinals. The Sooners open postseason play on Friday, June 2 at 1 p.m. CT against three-seed Xavier.

Louisville won the ACC regular season championship with a 23-9 conference mark. The Cardinals are 47-10 overall and hosting a regional for the fifth consecutive season. Over that stretch, Louisville and 11th-year head coach Dan McDonnell have earned a top-eight national seed four times and been to the College World Series twice.

Current RPI Rankings
_6 .. Louisville / http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Louisville
24 .. Oklahoma / http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Oklahoma
75 .. Xavier / http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Xavier
156 .. Radford / http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/schedule/Radford

Last edited:
Friday, June 2, 2017 ... 1st Round of NCAA Tournament

Louisville Regional

After trailing by a score of 2-0 for much of the game, the Oklahoma Sooners score 7 runs on 7 hits in the 7th inning. OU defeats Xavier 7-2.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/baseball/d1/2017/06/02/xavier-oklahoma/boxscore

Starting pitcher Devon Perez goes 7 innings to get the win. Left fielder Cade Harris leads OU with 3 RBIs, as 7 different Sooners score one run each.

For those interested, OU is in the middle of a huge game against Louisville. Just took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth.

Left Irving in one inning to long, and Louisville brought in two runs to take a 3-1 lead in the 8th. Two still on, and only one out. That one really stings.

We're gonna need some Sooner Magic.

Sooners give up 8 runs in the 1st inning on 2 errors and 5 hits. Hooray Sooners! Last game of the season! Yay!

I thought Hughes had bought another year by making a regional. Going down like this warrants some discussion by his superiors, though.

I thought Hughes had bought another year by making a regional. Going down like this warrants some discussion by his superiors, though.

Oh, come on. We were only outscored 21-0 in the last 11 innings of the NCAA Tournament...Wow, 21-0. Until today, that was reserved as a football score.

We all have to be happy for the OU softball team. While I think we'd be playing Florida regardless, don't be surprised to hear some chatter about OU having home-field advantage with the umps. Two horrendous calls went in OU's favor this past weekend...but like I said, the Sooners would have won anyway.

Last edited:
http://newsok.com/article/5552509?scrolling_list=article_small

OU to part ways with baseball coach Pete Hughes

OU baseball hasn't been very exciting in a few years....I haven't kept up with the team.

I did watch some of the Big 12 tournament and some of the regional against Louisville. It looked like a total lack of imagination on some of the coaching decisions. I was ready for a change.

Hopefully we can get a young coach and put some more excitement into the program.

Bring back Sunny!

(I'm kidding. I know that's not realistic.)

A buddy of mine in the Metroplex is giddy about Skip Johnson's hire as OU's new head coach. It will be interesting to see who becomes the new assistant coach, now that Skip has moved up to the top spot.

Born and raised in Texas, Skip Johnson should have solid recruiting ties throughout the Lone Star state, especially after coaching college baseball for 25 years.

Skip Johnson
Hometown : Denton, Texas
College: Texas-Pan American '90

(1 Year) ....... 1993 - Navarro College - Assistant Coach
(13 Years) ... 1994-06 - Navarro College - Head Coach
(6 Years) ..... 2007-12 - Texas - Assistant Coach
(4 Years) ..... 2013-16 - Texas - Associate Head Coach
(1 Year) ....... 2017 - Oklahoma - Assistant Coach

SoonerSports.com
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211631291

Chris Davis, Baltimore Orioles First Baseman: "As far as baseball, Oklahoma is getting the best guy I know of. And I'm talking about high school, college, minor leagues, big leagues. Just as far as knowing the game, being able to relate to players and communicate with them, and being able to understand players, how they tick and how to get the most out of them, I think he's the best at those things. And as far as a person, there aren't too many people out there I hold in higher regard than Skip Johnson. I played for him for two years some 11 years ago and we're better friends now than we ever have been. He's just a really down-to-earth guy and I just can't think of many guys I have more respect for than him."

Augie Garrido, Former Texas Head Coach: "This is an exciting new era for Oklahoma baseball with the hiring of Skip Johnson. He's going to bring the core values of the state of Oklahoma itself and he's going to bring championship baseball back to Norman and the University of Oklahoma. The legacies of Coach (Enos) Semore, Coach (Larry) Cochell and Coach (Sunny) Golloway have all been a part of his own observation and his own development. I sincerely believe all of us in coaching are influenced by the people who we're surrounded by. He was surrounded by the spirit of Oklahoma baseball and the people in the leadership roles at OU. He's been on the Texas side of it and so he knows about arch rivals from the inside point of view, and he brings with him a background of championship baseball from when he was head coach at Navarro. I think the fans are going to enjoy the authenticity of his core values system, how he relates to the players, the academic demands he'll put on them and the results he'll get both academically and athletically as he provides championship leadership for the University of Oklahoma."

Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech Head Coach: "I've known Skip since we were on the same Little League team and some things never change. What you see is what you get with Skip. He's a true baseball guy who has earned the right to lead a program like OU. It's neat to see that Joe Castiglione recognized almost 30 years of commitment to the game of college baseball. Skip is baseball all day, every day. Our league just got better.”

Jake Irvin, OU Pitcher: "I am extremely excited and happy for Coach Johnson and the opportunity he has been given to be a head coach at the Division I level. We are lucky to have such a first-class person and coach leading our program for years to come. I am truly amazed not only by Skip's knowledge of the game, but the amount of respect and care he shows for the people and players around him. There is nobody more deserving of this opportunity and I'm excited to see the success that this program will have under his reign."

Ross Hubbard, Former OU Baseball Player: "I'd be willing to bet everyone can recall the first time they met Skip Johnson, but if you can't, he can. His personality is electric and magnetic, his knowledge and teaching skills are second to none. With a name like Skip, he was born to be a baseball coach. His passion and purpose have impacted each of his players and to a lot of them, Skip is family. His teams will be gritty, confident, respected and loaded with power arms. With head coach Skip Johnson combined with the University of Oklahoma, recruits will be asking one thing: 'Where do I sign?'"

Roger Clemens, Former Major League Baseball Pitcher: "Congratulations to the University of Oklahoma Baseball program. Skip Johnson is not only a great coach, but is a fantastic teacher of the game we all love. And even more, he is a solid man who cares about younger men who are trying to reach their goals. I tip my hat to Skip and his wonderful family who have spent countless hours helping all of us to become more successful at our craft."

This smells of a palace coup. I like Hughes, but you've got to get results.

Onward!

Skip seemed like the perfect fit, and he seemed like the plan, but the longer it went, the more I questioned it. Glad it was him. Hughes was the one blemish that made me wince whenever I'd gush about Joe C's legendary coach hiring abilities. Here's to hoping for a return trip to Omaha soon.

Skip seemed like the perfect fit, and he seemed like the plan, but the longer it went, the more I questioned it. Glad it was him. Hughes was the one blemish that made me wince whenever I'd gush about Joe C's legendary coach hiring abilities. Here's to hoping for a return trip to Omaha soon.

Speaking of Omaha, is it just me, or have the CWS games been less exciting than usual thus far?

Back