OU has the most 3pt attempts in the Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
OU- 226 attempts
OSU- 216 attempts
MU- 204

Everyone else is under 200 attempts. Texas Tech has the fewest attempts with 110.

Is OU the only team that basically HAS to run 4 guards?

Not a surprise, really. I think most of us knew OU would be more of a perimeter team this season.

If our other bigs step up to the plate to compliment what Tiny can do, we may see that number drop. Until then, however, I don't think we have much of a choice but to take advantage of open opportunities on the perimeter and attack people off the dribble.

We're a jump shooting team...you know what they say, live by the three, die by the three.

If our other bigs step up to the plate to compliment what Tiny can do, we may see that number drop. Until then, however, I don't think we have much of a choice but to take advantage of open opportunities on the perimeter and attack people off the dribble.

No offense to you Ada, but I keep hearing this. If our other bigs haven't quite stepped up by now, I'm not sure that they will to the level that we want in time. Personally, I think RW and Orlando have played decently when they're in, as far as grabbing a few boards and taking up space. But they're both such an offensive liability and neither one has really wowed me on defense either (Tiny could be included in this, but it could be because Capel doesn't want him to foul out).

I'd like to see them get a few more chances, and maybe even play them together with Tiny so he can do what he did in high school and not just be stuck on the blocks.

The other bigs arent stepping up, IMO. our best hope is that Wright comes in and gets 6 or 7 rebounds along with 4-5 points. Orlando isn't going to play much and Fitz is behind those guys right now.

Yeah our best chance is that RW keeps playing like he did against Utah and Big O gets back into a good head space. I think Fitz has a chance to be ready, but mostly I think abd is right. Our inside game isn't going to significantly improve and we will continue to play small ball. I think people who say we can't win if our inside presence doesn't improve are wrong. Croc has done a nice job defending the 4 and our inside presence seems worse than it is because of Tiny's foul troubles. Tiny will continue to improve. We've been rebounding better.

We have great guards. They are our strength and we are playing to those strengths. People around here have been acting like taking a bunch of 3s is bad or that we are being forced to play small ball. The reality is that we are a good shooting team and our defense has gotten better when we went small. We need to think of this as our strength rather than a weakness. We are making teams match-up to us as much as we are being forced to match-up to them.

MU: 22.7 attempts per game
OU: 22.6
OSU: 21.6
KU: 20.1
BU: 18.7
A&M: 18.6
KSU: 18.4
ISU: 17.7
TX: 17.1
CU: 16.0
NU: 14.6
TT: 12.2

We definetly need a spark from one of our other big men. I'm still not counting out Fitz, but I think that he's behind right now. Ryan or Orlando must step up and give us something consistently. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

No offense to you Ada, but I keep hearing this. If our other bigs haven't quite stepped up by now, I'm not sure that they will to the level that we want in time. Personally, I think RW and Orlando have played decently when they're in, as far as grabbing a few boards and taking up space. But they're both such an offensive liability and neither one has really wowed me on defense either (Tiny could be included in this, but it could be because Capel doesn't want him to foul out).

I'd like to see them get a few more chances, and maybe even play them together with Tiny so he can do what he did in high school and not just be stuck on the blocks.

OUstu, that was wishful thinking on my part. I would agree that we can't expect too much more out of RW and Big O. But I do think Fitz is capable of stepping up his game. I'm just not sure it will be this season.

MU: 22.7 attempts per game
OU: 22.6
OSU: 21.6
KU: 20.1
BU: 18.7
A&M: 18.6
KSU: 18.4
ISU: 17.7
TX: 17.1
CU: 16.0
NU: 14.6
TT: 12.2

Skewed by Mizzou's pace...

The best way would be to look by 3PA/FGA:

OU
OSU
A&M
Mizzou
Baylor
K-State
KU
CU
ISU
Neb
Texas
TT

After watching OSU last night they will overtake that spot from us. I thought it was bizarro watching them hoist 3's like that.

After watching OSU last night they will overtake that spot from us. I thought it was bizarro watching them hoist 3's like that.

Did you watch us play last year? :)

That's just part of Ford's offense... if you have an open 3... take it.

That worked OK last year when we led the Big 12 in 3-point FG percentage... this year it's not working so well.

Did you watch us play last year? :)

That's just part of Ford's offense... if you have an open 3... take it.

That worked OK last year when we led the Big 12 in 3-point FG percentage... this year it's not working so well.

That seems similar to Scott Drew's offense, if you can force a 3, jack it. I guess being open makes a little sense. Maybe Ford is a just a slightly better coach?

How does Travis Ford feel about defense, Scott Drew seems to be opposed to structure and effort, prefering instead play ground philosophy and disorganization?

That seems similar to Scott Drew's offense, if you can force a 3, jack it. I guess being open makes a little sense. Maybe Ford is a just a slightly better coach?

How does Travis Ford feel about defense, Scott Drew seems to be opposed to structure and effort, prefering instead play ground philosophy and disorganization?

Drew's teams routinely finish in the top half of the conference in FG % and 3 pt FG %.

This year Baylor is 40% from 3 point range and 50% overall. OSU- 31% from 3. OU- 37%. Perhaps they just hit a higher percentage of "forced" 3's than other teams do with "open" 3's.

As for defense, Baylor has improved dramatically from the past and it has more to do with height and length than effort or coaching. OU fans will see that soon enough.

Drew's teams routinely finish in the top half of the conference in FG % and 3 pt FG %.

This year Baylor is 40% from 3 point range and 50% overall. OSU- 31% from 3. OU- 37%. Perhaps they just hit a higher percentage of "forced" 3's than other teams do with "open" 3's.

As for defense, Baylor has improved dramatically from the past and it has more to do with height and length than effort or coaching. OU fans will see that soon enough.

So this year they are hitting the 3 pointers that they randomnly jack with little thought or structure to the offense. I am happy for them. I wonder how long they will be able to continue to make those ill advised 3 pointers they are so fond of taking.

So this year they are hitting the 3 pointers that they randomnly jack with little thought or structure to the offense. I am happy for them. I wonder how long they will be able to continue to make those ill advised 3 pointers they are so fond of taking.

How long will OU? Its hard to rip a team for jacking 3's when your team takes more than anyone else, lol.

LOL...you haven't beat us since Jimmy Carter was President. Please save the ominous talk until you beat us one time in long shorts.

Back