+++++++OU-OSU Game Thread+++++++

I never post during the game.

Most just like tonight. 12-13 pages of nothing but abuse toward our players and coaches.

I am never embarrassed by our players and coaches. They work hard to put a team on the floor. Sure they miss shots our "experts" think are easy and some that really are. And they drift into too much one on one and that often leads to poor offense.

I am more embarrassed by fans whose well-being seems to be threatened by what our players and coaches do.

We had a bad offensive first half but pretty good defensive. We beat them by 20 points in the second half but there was still a lot of ragging on Kruger and the players. We held Forte to 2 points. Spangler had a season high in rebounds. No credit from many. Just abuse. Couldn't tell we were winning until the game was almost over.

+2

I've taken to avoiding the game threads during games, though I sometimes come back and read a few pages once we've won. I just seem to experience games very differently than many of our fans, and when I read the game thread during the game, I'm amazed at the negativity. And the anger -- I've been bummed out and sometimes even made downright blue by poor outings from Sooner squads in various sports, but angry? Never once in my life. That's just not how I react to a close game or even a loss.

No judgements intended. Like I said, some folks seem to experience games very differently from other folks. But in recent years, there's little joy in visiting the Hale board after anything less than a rout during football season. Even when we win a good hardfought game, there are more negative threads than positive ones, which just blows my mind. It's much better than that here, except during games.

Last edited:

Most just like tonight. 12-13 pages of nothing but abuse toward our players and coaches.

I am never embarassed by our players and coaches. They work hard to put a team on the floor. Sure they miss shots our "experts" think are easy and some that really are. And they drift into too much one on one and that often leads to poor offense.

I am more embarrased by fans whose well-being seems to be threatened by what our players and coaches do.

We had a bad offensive first half but pretty good defensive. We beat them by 20 points in the second half but there was still a lot of ragging on Kruger and the players. We held Forte to 2 points. Spangler had a season high in rebounds. No credit from many. Just abuse. Couldn't tell we were winning until the game was almost over.

Have you ever set out in a car ride to reach a destination and in the process of traveling from point A to point B you are confronted with fits of slow traffic flow followed by open roads where driving becomes more efficient and therefor enjoyable? Often, following a sporting event such as basketball is eerily similar to traveling, and if you enjoy bumper to bumper traffic or enjoy delayed or cancelled flights then good for you, but most don't take it in stride and let their feelings be known. Why this is so hard to fathom is really a head scratcher.

I understand the way it was with how bad we played the first half. But a few of the posts right around half were just dumb. The one about Kruger being a bad coach was probably ban worthy. Good thing I had to go to work and stay away from the board.

That was an impressive 2nd half.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

The last 8 games vs Okie State....OU is 7-1...Nice job....The last 8 football games OU is 6-2 vs Okie State.

OU has rarely played an entire game poorly this year. Just based on the season I assumed OU would turn it on the 2nd half. Last night's game was almost a mirror image of the game in Stillwater. Play poorly in the first half but use defense to stay close and then dominate the second half.

Have you ever set out in a car ride to reach a destination and in the process of traveling from point A to point B you are confronted with fits of slow traffic flow followed by open roads where driving becomes more efficient and therefor enjoyable? Often, following a sporting event such as basketball is eerily similar to traveling, and if you enjoy bumper to bumper traffic or enjoy delayed or cancelled flights then good for you, but most don't take it in stride and let their feelings be known. Why this is so hard to fathom is really a head scratcher.

I like the analogy of a journey. Coaches like to say that a basketball season is a journey and not a sprint.

If one travels with grade school kids in the back seat, it is easy to comprehend that they lack the experience, wisdom and maturity to understand the journey and see the big picture. Grade school age children will openly whine and complain when they perceive that things are not going perfectly. A basketball season is like a journey. It is not something (as fans) we have to do. The basketball season journey is like a vacation. It is something we chose to do (as fans) so it is not like a Monday morning trip to work.

Here is a question that is a head scratcher. If someone gets no enjoyment out of the journey, then why make it? If one cannot enjoy a three-peat-sweep of the aggies because there are some traffic delays or bumps in the road, then why watch the game? That is a real head scratcher. I see at least one relatively new poster on here that rarely (if ever) has a positive post about the OU team or its players.

Then there is another issue ... the old reliable “my expectations are just higher than yours” statement, that the never-happy whining fan employs ... as if every OU fan does not dream of a national championship some day. I have seen this “expectation theme” countless times over the years on message boards. My impression is that the person saying “my expectations are just higher than yours” is just a superior individual, that is just better than the rest of us (in their own mind, that is).

Last edited:
Agree 100%. My issue with Spangler at different points of the season is that he has developed the habit of "letting a guy go" once he realizes he is beaten on the post. I think it somewhat stems from last year....when he was our only quality big man. And I understand why he does it....to avoid foul trouble. It just seems that lately he has been beaten a little more often. And it's not all on him, some of it is attributable to poor rotation and slow weakside help. Having said that, he rebounded very well tonight and that certainly helped our cause.

Our only other weakness on the interior is something that we really can't do anything about.....we are simply a small team. And we are going to have nights where we get worked on the boards....simply because of our lack of size. I don't know much about recruiting, so I would defer to coachtalk or some of the other guys that keep up with that....but I'm hoping that more height is on the way in the near future.

There will be some more height and length next season. The depth in the post next year includes four big men, plus possibly Dante Buford if Coach Kruger wants to go with a smaller lineup.

Frontcourt Next Season (2015-16)
> Ryan Spangler ... Senior, 6-8, 231, F
> Akolda Manyang … Junior, 7-0, 235, C (Indian Hills CC)
> Khadeem Lattin … Sophomore, 6-9, 200, F
> Jamuni McNeace … RS-Freshman, 6-10, 196, C … Allen, Texas
> Dante Buford … RS-Freshman, 6-7, 208, F … Greenville, SC

As has been discussed many times, Dante Buford is a 3/4. Also available next year will be juniors C.J. Cole (6-7, 232) and walk-on Austin Mankin (6-7, 200)

I am never embarassed by our players and coaches. They work hard to put a team on the floor. Sure they miss shots our "experts" think are easy and some that really are. And they drift into too much one on one and that often leads to poor offense.

I am more embarrased by fans whose well-being seems to be threatened by what our players and coaches do.

+3

I like the analogy of a journey. Coaches like to say that a basketball season is a journey and not a sprint.

If one travels with grade school kids in the back seat, it is easy to comprehend that they lack the experience, wisdom and maturity to understand the journey and see the big picture. Grade school age children will openly whine and complain when they perceive that things are not going perfectly. A basketball season is like a journey. It is not something (as a fan) you have to do. The basketball season journey is like a vacation. It is something you chose to do (as a fan) so it is not like a Monday morning trip to work.

Here is a question that is a head scratcher. If someone gets no enjoyment out of the journey, then why make it? If one cannot enjoy a three-peat-sweep of the aggies because there are some traffic delays or bumps in the road, then why watch the game? That is a real head scratcher. I see at least one relatively new poster on here that rarely (if ever) has a positive post about the OU team or its players.

Then there is another issue ... the old reliable “my expectations are just higher than yours” statement, that the never-happy whining fan employs ... as if every OU fan does not dream of a national championship some day. I have seen this “expectation theme” countless times over the years on message boards. My impression is that the person saying “my expectations are just higher than yours” is just a superior individual, that is just better than the rest of us (in their own mind, that is).

It goes both ways with that statement. You also have the "sanctimonious" OU fans (at least in their own mind) who lecture other fans about comments made in a game thread if those comments aren't 100% positive all of the time. These "fans" consider themselves much too refined/enlightened or "too good of a fan" to have reasonable discussions on how this team can improve, because they perceive any critique as being negative. Also, I would venture to say that virtually 100% of our fans want us to win. And OU basketball fans are passionate, which sometimes lead to comments that aren't necessarily in line with their overall love for OU. Again, you can deduce that these comments are made in the heat of the moment and should be viewed through that prism....instead of a few posters attempting to call all of them out just to make themselves look better. That is called mock outrage or grandstanding.

And Soonertraveler, I think you're a quality poster and please understand that I'm not referring to your post specifically, but I find it highly ironic when I read a poster complaining about other posters complaining.

Last edited:

If one travels with grade school kids in the back seat, it is easy to comprehend that they lack the experience, wisdom and maturity to understand the journey and see the big picture. Grade school age children will openly whine and complain when they perceive that things are not going perfectly. A basketball season is like a journey. It is not something (as fans) we have to do. The basketball season journey is like a vacation. It is something we chose to do (as fans) so it is not like a Monday morning trip to work.

I'm quite sure this post flew right over the heads of many of our negative members, but your analogy comparing them to children who lack experience, wisdom and maturity was classic.

I'm quite sure this post flew right over the heads of many of our negative members, but your analogy comparing them to children who lack experience, wisdom and maturity was classic.

Yep. Great post.

And most journeys have their highs and lows much like a marriage/relationship, or workplace environment, each with their own times when it seems imperative to voice one's opinion. And as fans are concerned are they not allowed to make comments during the journey or does protocol stipulate they should hold their comments til after the journey has been completed. I mean if you were overcharged at the local drug store or at your favorite local eating spot would you wait til you are old and grey to see if the overcharges somehow even out with the undercharges til you bring light to the situation to begin the pontification? And it is highly doubtful there are any posters contained within the auspices of this board who have realistic visions of a perfect season let alone a perfect game. And when it comes to fans, which fan base are you familiar with ,which as a collective,act just like yourself? Would the obvious answer be none.

Last edited:
I enjoy reading the wide swings of emotions on the board during a game...some posts, while extreme in nature are quite funny. There are those individuals in life that are far emotional than others and express their emotions openly...and I have no issues with those individuals as long as they stay above the line (i.e "I really hate that player and hope he tears an ACL next down the floor and his dog dies"). Reading through the wide swings of emotions often help get me through the rough patches of a game. I would rather these individuals vent here rather than suffer a heart attack by keeping everything inside.

I enjoy reading the wide swings of emotions on the board during a game...some posts, while extreme in nature are quite funny. There are those individuals in life that are far emotional than others and express their emotions openly...and I have no issues with those individuals as long as they stay above the line (i.e "I really hate that player and hope he tears an ACL next down the floor and his dog dies"). Reading through the wide swings of emotions often help get me through the rough patches of a game. I would rather these individuals vent here rather than suffer a heart attack by keeping everything inside.

Agree. Different personalities are fun. I know that everyone wants the Sooners to win and there are just different levels of emotions. A lot of the posts are very funny. I don't take offense to any comments and hope no one takes offense at mine. Sure there are some comments made that people probably regret but that happens in real life as well.

I also think it is funny that people won't participate in the game thread but then are happy to critique it later - especially after wins. I wonder if anyone critiqued it after the first half in Ames when some people were beating on their chests?

You folks make some good points. I must admit that when it comes to immaturity, I am as guilty as the kids in the back seat of the car on a long vacation trip. It is immature (and silly) to allow some message board poster to get under one’s skin. My “journey post” above was a reaction to reading posts by chuckb, and nothing else. My perception of his negativity on this thread directed towards some of our players, added to his “attack” (my perception) against CoachTalk on the Frank Booker thread, struck a sour note in my soul. This, and this alone, generated my sanctimonious diatribe above.

So I vented. It happens. Live and learn.

I only quoted the post from sheepdogs1 because I admired the traveling/journey analogy, and tried to make use of the same. That, and I wanted to make use of the phrase "head scratcher."

Boomer

Last edited:
Back