OUHoops TV: 2012 recruit Marcus Smart

Henzo

Reaction score
2012 >>> Marcus Smart, Wing, 6-3, 205, Flower Mound, TX
Dates Scouted: 9.28.09
School List: OSU, Stanford, Marquette, Alabama

OUHoops.com on Smart: Currently projects as a mid to high major. Smart is blessed with a wide wingspan which, combined with his explosive leaping ability, really allows him to dominate in the paint despite only being 6-foot-3. He is well built physically. Shows good passing skills and court awareness. Really effective at finding holes in the defense and catching passes in heavy traffic. Plays much bigger than his size. A righty that can finish with both hands in the lane. Can defend in the post against bigger players, and out on the perimeter against guards. Has a non-stop motor, and plays with excellent energy from tip to buzzer. He shows great support of his teammates, and plays with emotion. Needs to gain confidence in his outside shooting, though his smooth release hints he could develop into an above average shooter. Can finish with heavy contact. Tended to lack patience at times on both ends of the floor. He is young for his class, so if he continues to grow and develop his game he has good chance to be one of the top prospects in his class.

Highlights:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQkzDLa8vg[/ame]

If he gets a more consistent jumper to go along with his non stop motor this kid would be a great get. That or if he grew a couple inches, to go along with his long wingspan, he would be a very interesting 3/4 hybrid.

Really liked the play where he swatted away the alley-oop attempt to LeBryan Nash.

Really liked the play where he swatted away the alley-oop attempt to LeBryan Nash.

I loved this play too! I also liked the play at the end where he threw up the oop, the guy kinda tipped it and it bounced off the glass and Marcus was already in the air going for the eventual rebound and a score. He has great basketball IQ and anticipates the missed shot, very well.

He has good size for a sophomore. Like you, I was intrigued by the fact that he handles and shoots with either hand. That's usually a sign of good coaching somewhere along the line. Most kids his age may practice with their off hand on occasion, but it's rare to see them use it in a game at his age. Definitely a future prospect to keep an eye on.

Thanks, Henzo! Do you know if OU is recruiting Marcus?

He has good size for a sophomore. Like you, I was intrigued by the fact that he handles and shoots with either hand. That's usually a sign of good coaching somewhere along the line. Most kids his age may practice with their off hand on occasion, but it's rare to see them use it in a game at his age. Definitely a future prospect to keep an eye on.

Thanks, Henzo! Do you know if OU is recruiting Marcus?

Yes, Oklahoma has an eye on Smart and the interest is mutual. Time will tell if he progresses into a big time player, but there is definitely early interest.

Back