Perry Jones says two Big 12 schools offered money/jobs/home

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting article on Perry Jones on ESPN included this quote below:

His mom said -- and Jones confirmed -- that one Big 12 school offered him money. Another said it could arrange for jobs for family members and maybe even a new home. Through it all, Perry Jones -- still a teenager -- refused to budge, telling every recruiter who called that he would honor his commitment to Baylor. "There's got to be something we can do to get you to change your mind," Jones recalled one college coach saying.

FWIW, I believe Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma State were the Big 12 schools heavily involved in Jones' recruitment.

Here's the complete article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...s-star-perry-jones-iii-men-college-basketball

Can't tell you how much I'd enjoy the house falling on KU. They've always dodged the bullet - Manning, Lester Earl, the younger Rushes among others.

Can't tell you how much I'd enjoy the house falling on KU. They've always dodged the bullet - Manning, Lester Earl, the younger Rushes among others.

I'd rather is be on OSU or Texas. Rumors swirled that their recruitment of Smart was not exactly within NCAA guidelines.

I'd rather is be on OSU or Texas. Rumors swirled that their recruitment of Smart was not exactly within NCAA guidelines.

Also heard rumors about Nash's recruitment that involve free hotel rooms and such....

I'm just glad ou is above offer jobs to recruits and fam
Boomar

I'm just glad ou is above offer jobs to recruits and fam
Boomar

Yes they are. In your rush to throw OU under the bus, you must have forgotten who did that. How's hart lee dykes doing these days?

As an OU fan, you have to hope Jeff Capel and his staff weren't one of those offering money. For Capel to even have a chance to sign Jones, which he did, one would think he or someone working with him was offering something.

For anyone to say otherwise is foolish...just look at the Tiny Gallon situation. And, yes, I know Capel was cleared of that, but it was his job to know what was happening with his asst coaches and he didn't. This could be another instance of that.

It might actually speak better for Capel in the long run.
As to why recuriting fell off so badly after signing the Two Stooges from Houston.
Maybe he wasn't willing to cheat to 'keep up'.

Of course that is designating all Tiny-blame to Taliferio (sp?).
And I don't want to rehash that argument.
I'm just saying...maybe there is a reason we ended up desperate late in the recruiting game.

It might actually speak better for Capel in the long run.
As to why recuriting fell off so badly after signing the Two Stooges from Houston.
Maybe he wasn't willing to cheat to 'keep up'.

Of course that is designating all Tiny-blame to Taliferio (sp?).
And I don't want to rehash that argument.
I'm just saying...maybe there is a reason we ended up desperate late in the recruiting game.

Hey, you might be right and you make some good points. If he was paying some of these guys (we have), then wow, he really was a bad evaluator of talent and even worse not good with finances. :)

I don't want to rehash the argument either. I was just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that we weren't one of the schools offering Jones something. I hope we weren't for sure.

Sorry but my anti Gawk feelings run deep. They've gotten away with whatever for a long time. All those players the Weeper got and not really a blemish.

Ed Manning says hello.

KU's AA center Clyde Lovellette of the 50s(played several yrs in the pros) went to KU because of health reasons. KU was located on Mt. Oread.
Where is Ed Mannning coaching these days?

KU's AA center Clyde Lovellette of the 50s(played several yrs in the pros) went to KU because of health reasons. KU was located on Mt. Oread.
Where is Ed Mannning coaching these days?
Ironic that that question would be asked because tomorrow will mark exactly one year since he passed away.

When I found out what Larry Brown did to lure Danny Manning, my first thought was "that shady ba$^@rd". Then, it dawned on me that I was being a tad hypocritical since my first reaction when Billy Tubbs hired Wayman's high school coach as an assistant was: "Brilliant move by Coach Tubbs!" I guess it all depends on what team one roots for. :)

When I found out what Larry Brown did to lure Danny Manning, my first thought was "that shady ba$^@rd". Then, it dawned on me that I was being a tad hypocritical since my first reaction when Billy Tubbs hired Wayman's high school coach as an assistant was: "Brilliant move by Coach Tubbs!" I guess it all depends on what team one roots for. :)

HAhaha. No Doubt.:):)

Back