Porter Moser is getting outcoached...

pnkranger

Reaction score
We are limited, but these guys have played their butts off and put themselves in positions to win games. But Moser is getting a master class in coaching courtesy the Big 12 coaches.

We need to upgrade our roster, but he's got to improve as well.

We are limited, but these guys have played their butts off and put themselves in positions to win games. But Moser is getting a master class in coaching courtesy the Big 12 coaches.

Bad take, he doesn't coach these guys to not block out.

In what ways, oh wise sage?

This roster sucks. They play good defense and everything else is below average in the conference. It is, what it is.

Give Moser the pokes roster and we are probably a top 15 team.

This roster sucks. They play good defense and everything else is below average in the conference. It is, what it is.

Give Moser the pokes roster and we are probably a top 15 team.

No one's going to give Coach Moser a good roster. He'll have to put one together himself. In his first attempt, he seems to have failed. Chris Beard, by contrast, seems to have done much better at putting together his first roster at texas.

I mean, most of the season, oswho has been mocked on this board for much of the season for being one of the worst team in the conference, talent-wise (and coaching-wise, for that matter). Now we wish we had their players?

No one's going to give Coach Moser a good roster. He'll have to put one together himself. In his first attempt, he seems to have failed. Chris Beard, by contrast, seems to have done much better at putting together his first roster at texas.

I mean, most of the season, oswho has been mocked on this board for much of the season for being one of the worst team in the conference, talent-wise (and coaching-wise, for that matter). Now we wish we had their players?

Moser is working on that. It takes time to rebuild from the bottom. This season is definitely better than the last 2 head coach’s first seasons on the job. I’m guessing you weren’t questioning Lon in season 1 after Capel left the cupboard bare.

Beard’s roster was way better to start than ours. He also is a known cheat so I’m not surprised he got some good players/transfers. Texas will be a monster as long as beard is there unfortunately.

Osu’s roster is much better than ours. They have a ton of 4-5* players. Boynton has mismanaged that team this season. They also don’t have anything to play for aside from pride.

Moser is working on that. It takes time to rebuild from the bottom. This season is definitely better than the last 2 head coach’s first seasons on the job. I’m guessing you weren’t questioning Lon in season 1 after Capel left the cupboard bare.

Beard’s roster was way better to start than ours. He also is a known cheat so I’m not surprised he got some good players/transfers. Texas will be a monster as long as beard is there unfortunately.

Osu’s roster is much better than ours. They have a ton of 4-5* players.

He inherited a much better situation than Lon. Not even close.

I just find it interesting how up and down the board is on the quality of this team, not just this year, but pretty much annually. A month into this season, people were convinced we were a better team than last year. Now, people act as if we have no D1 players and it’s a miracle if we can win a game.

I just find it interesting how up and down the board is on the quality of this team, not just this year, but pretty much annually. A month into this season, people were convinced we were a better team than last year. Now, people act as if we have no D1 players and it’s a miracle if we can win a game.

I think that speaks to the roller coaster ride the team has put us on this year..

Lon had a harder job given the probation but the players who stayed were better than what moser was left with. Romero osby, cam Clark, Stephen pledger are all better than anyone who stuck around this year from last year. Andrew Fitzgerald was better than any big who stayed, too.

Lon's first year he had returning Cam Clark, Romero Osby, Steven Pledger, Andrew Fitzgerald and he brought in transfer Amath M'Baye.

Blair < Goldwire
Pledger > Mo
Clark > Harkless
M'Baye > Hill
Osby > T Groves

Bench
Fitz > Chargois
Neal > Noland
Grooms > Cortez
Washington > J Groves

Last edited:
Lon's first year he had returning Cam Clark, Romero Osby, Steven Pledger, Andrew Fitzgerald and he brought in transfer Amath M'Baye.

Blair < Goldwire
Pledger > Mo
Clark > Harkless
M'Baye > Hill
Osby > T Groves

Bench
Fitz > Chargois
Neal > Noland
Grooms > Cortez
Washington > J Groves

Thanks for posting the match ups, CMSOONER. I’m pretty sure mbaye had to sit out that year so fitz was starting. I would vary slightly in my </> but just isolating the guys who were capel players it really isn’t that close which side was better:

Pledger>/=Mo
Clark>/= Harkless
Osby>Hill
Fitz>>>>>issanza
Neal/Blair/washington > Noland/cortes

Last edited:
Lon had a harder job given the probation but the players who stayed were better than what moser was left with. Romero osby, cam Clark, Stephen pledger are all better than anyone who stuck around this year from last year. Andrew Fitzgerald was better than any big who stayed, too.

I think you hit on the key part. You can’t just go off pure talent. The program Lon took over was a complete mess on and off the floor. The players who remained had never had the benefit of good coaching, and had no history of winning. I recall many media members saying it would be miraculous if we were in the tourney by Lon’s third year.

Most of this roster was put together pretty much in one off season. I think a lot of people expected a lot more out of this team than they should have. It's probably been a little better than it should have been but it's just not a high level team as far as talent goes. I have faith that Moser can build it there. A lot of times when you have teams like this you don't have a winning season at all this team could end up with a winning record which I'm okay with.

I think you hit on the key part. You can’t just go off pure talent. The program Lon took over was a complete mess on and off the floor. The players who remained had never had the benefit of good coaching, and had no history of winning. I recall many media members saying it would be miraculous if we were in the tourney by Lon’s third year.

Lon was lucky to get Buddy as one of his first recruits. Good player to build around. Still took till Cousins and Woodard and a few others came to really get that going though. I think we'll be fine if we can find guards that can actually score consistently.

Lon was lucky to get Buddy as one of his first recruits. Good player to build around. Still took till Cousins and Woodard and a few others came to really get that going though. I think we'll be fine if we can find guards that can actually score consistently.

I’m not sure how luck factors in. It’s not like Buddy threw a dart at a map. Lon and his staff developed a relationship and got him to sign, and then did a great job helping develop a good player into the best player in the country.

I still believe Moser is the right man for the job, but I think it’s fair to criticize certain aspects of his coaching this season. The turnovers have improved the past three games, but it was ridiculous for that to be such a huge problem for as long as it was. And it’s also evident that we have not run good offense in the last few minutes of most of our close losses. Utah State, Butler, at TCU, twice against KU, last night … all games we led relatively late, and all games where we either had a long, nightmarish stretch, or failed to get a quality shot at the end. When the same problems happen repeatedly, some of that has to fall on the coaching staff. We looked uncertain of what we should do on the last possession at Lawrence, and failed to get anything resembling a decent shot last night even though four seconds is plenty of time to get a quality look.

Here are a few thoughts: In OT, Moser shuttles in Jacob Groves, Mawein, Noland, etc. to set up a press and attempt a steal/foul, but leaves in Jalen Hill, who has 4 fouls. Hill fouls out. Jalen had been our best all around player last night...

If the argument is that Hill is one of our best defenders ... he pulled EJ at the same time because EJ had 4 fouls.

Why was T. Groves in on the last possession in OT? You know they are going to get back and protect a long pass in case of a miss ... so you want 4 guys on the lane who can grab and go. This is where Hill fouling out hurts.

Why did Tanner not pass it to Goldwire immediately. That should have been one of the key points Moser made in the huddle.

At one point, we were down three and needed a three, but we had Gibson, Goldwire, EJ, Jalen Hill, and Chagrois in the game. Everyone in the western hemisphere knows who is going to shoot that shot. Put Noland or Cortes in and give us an option.

Big 12 coaches have our inbounds plays and late game plays down to a T. We have no good alternatives when they take away the first option in those situations.

That 3 by Andrew Jones in the corner late on the other hand, was 100% a defensive breakdown. Bad communication between Chagrois and EJ.

Here are a few thoughts: In OT, Moser shuttles in Jacob Groves, Mawein, Noland, etc. to set up a press and attempt a steal/foul, but leaves in Jalen Hill, who has 4 fouls. Hill fouls out. Jalen had been our best all around player last night...

If the argument is that Hill is one of our best defenders ... he pulled EJ at the same time because EJ had 4 fouls.

Why was T. Groves in on the last possession in OT? You know they are going to get back and protect a long pass in case of a miss ... so you want 4 guys on the lane who can grab and go. This is where Hill fouling out hurts.

Why did Tanner not pass it to Goldwire immediately. That should have been one of the key points Moser made in the huddle.

At one point, we were down three and needed a three, but we had Gibson, Goldwire, EJ, Jalen Hill, and Chagrois in the game. Everyone in the western hemisphere knows who is going to shoot that shot. Put Noland or Cortes in and give us an option.

Big 12 coaches have our inbounds plays and late game plays down to a T. We have no good alternatives when they take away the first option in those situations.

That 3 by Andrew Jones in the corner late on the other hand, was 100% a defensive breakdown. Bad communication between Chagrois and EJ.

The Hill play is a great point and one I didn’t understand at all. As you said, he took the other guys with two fouls off the floor. And to make matters worse, when they got the ball inbounds, Mawein was in position to commit the foul but didn’t, so Hill ended up having to do so. Mawein has to be clearly told that his job is to immediately foul if we don’t get the steal. We let over two seconds come off the clock, then had Hill foul out. And as you say, if Jalen was in the game to get that last rebound, he would have almost certainly been able to get us a better look than Groves.

Back