Porter Moser is getting outcoached...

OU is 3-6 in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Numerous of those are against teams with clearly better talent. I like Moser and think we are going to be OK. I feel like this roster with good, but not great players gets exposed a little bit at the end of games. Some of that is the lack of "the guy" that can always get to the rim and/or create his own shot. Some of it falls on the coach.

I have frustration with the last 15-20 seconds of the games for the last couple of games. We didn't appear to have a plan on what to run off a made or missed FT. That execution should come from the bench.

I told my son I hoped that Harkless would be the player with the ball at the end of the 2nd half with a chance to create a shot. I think he is better able to get a shot off even if closely guarded than anyone else on the team. Texas was going to make someone besides Gibson to beat them, so I would have gone with Harkless.

We are limited, but these guys have played their butts off and put themselves in positions to win games. But Moser is getting a master class in coaching courtesy the Big 12 coaches.

We need to upgrade our roster, but he's got to improve as well.

Im as frustrated as anyone but man this is knee jerk. we are good enough to compete but lack that dude to get us over the top.

9 new guys.

3 real players from last years team.

Small school to big school jump. Parents, kids, want to make sure you can do it before signing up.

2 top 100 players committed within 3 months for next years class. No idea how good the German is but appears he loves to score!

It takes time.

Im as frustrated as anyone but man this is knee jerk. we are good enough to compete but lack that dude to get us over the top.

9 new guys.

Small school to big school jump. Parents, kids, want to make sure you can do it before signing up.

2 top 100 players committed within 3 months for next years class. No idea how good the German is but appears he loves to score!

It takes time.

Agree. It is frustrating but I do like what we are doing when we do it right. I do hope that Moser didn’t draw up a Chargois 3 in a tie game at the end of regulation but I highly doubt that was his intention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 new guys.

It takes time.

I'm not saying he can't get us there or that it won't take time, but I'm saying to this point he's been outcoached in close games. 3-6 in tight games this year. Some of that is players, but most of that is game management, strategy, adjustments, personnel groupings and assignments, scouting, etc.

We have to improve our talent, but Moser has to improve as well. I think he will, and I'm glad he's our coach. But it's not been flawless on his part.

I'm not saying he can't get us there or that it won't take time, but I'm saying to this point he's been outcoached in close games. 3-6 in tight games this year. Some of that is players, but most of that is game management, strategy, adjustments, personnel groupings and assignments, scouting, etc.

We have to improve our talent, but Moser has to improve as well. I think he will, and I'm glad he's our coach. But it's not been flawless on his part.

Did gibson throw it to texas late or Porter?

I get subbing issue, cost us 1 sec at most. the issue was the guys looked like they forgot they were shooting 2 ft instead of 3!

Texas roster is far more talented than ours. I hope you can see that.

Agree. It is frustrating but I do like what we are doing when we do it right. I do hope that Moser didn’t draw up a Chargois 3 in a tie game at the end of regulation but I highly doubt that was his intention.

He was barking at someone that screwed it up. No way that was the intention.

He was barking at someone that screwed it up. No way that was the intention.

quote from Porter

“We were getting a lot of rip and drives,” Moser said. “We ran a little ghost screen and we were trying to rip and drive. Earlier in the game, we were setting that ball screen, we’d ghost and then came in and ripping.

“We wanted Jordan to rip and drive. They kind of bottled it up. Ethan kind of popped. Obviously, we’d like him to roll but he popped. He actually got a wide open 3. But we were trying to get Jordan going downhill on a rip and drive we got earlier in the game.”

He spoke after the game about what the play call was. But for the second straight game, we didn’t get what he wanted. Again, at some point, when the same stuff keeps happening, the staff has some responsibility. As do the players, of course.

For those pointing to lack of talent, I’d say that makes execution even more important. That’s how he won at Loyola and how all sorts of mid majors manage to overachieve. If we were losing close games because guys were missing wide open shots late, the lack of talent would be an excuse. But the concerning thing is that, far too often, we haven’t executed.

He spoke after the game about what the play call was. But for the second straight game, we didn’t get what he wanted. Again, at some point, when the same stuff keeps happening, the staff has some responsibility. As do the players, of course.

For those pointing to lack of talent, I’d say that makes execution even more important. That’s how he won at Loyola and how all sorts of mid majors manage to overachieve. If we were losing close games because guys were missing wide open shots late, the lack of talent would be an excuse. But the concerning thing is that, far too often, we haven’t executed.

a lot of that comes with Vet players in the system

OU has vet players but not in this system ..

OU is 3-6 in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Numerous of those are against teams with clearly better talent. I like Moser and think we are going to be OK. I feel like this roster with good, but not great players gets exposed a little bit at the end of games. Some of that is the lack of "the guy" that can always get to the rim and/or create his own shot. Some of it falls on the coach.

I have frustration with the last 15-20 seconds of the games for the last couple of games. We didn't appear to have a plan on what to run off a made or missed FT. That execution should come from the bench.

I told my son I hoped that Harkless would be the player with the ball at the end of the 2nd half with a chance to create a shot. I think he is better able to get a shot off even if closely guarded than anyone else on the team. Texas was going to make someone besides Gibson to beat them, so I would have gone with Harkless.

Man, my thoughts exactly. The last two games came down to us executing a good offensive possession and winning, however it seems we had no clear set play. How Chargois got the ball at the end of regulation and took that shot is something I don't understand - this was a game we should have won in regulation. Is it coaching? Or did the players just bust on the play he called? Who knows. I do like the young talent coming in next year, but I believe we need a Big with more strength and athleticism than Groves. He does the very best with what he has, but we need to try and find someone else. Maybe Mawein will develop in the off-season, it's all just a big cluster F*CK right now. I'm betting Goldwire is regretting coming to OU right about now, unfortunately.

Man, my thoughts exactly. The last two games came down to us executing a good offensive possession and winning, however it seems we had no clear set play. How Chargois got the ball at the end of regulation and took that shot is something I don't understand - this was a game we should have won in regulation. Is it coaching? Or did the players just bust on the play he called? Who knows. I do like the young talent coming in next year, but I believe we need a Big with more strength and athleticism than Groves. He does the very best with what he has, but we need to try and find someone else. Maybe Mawein will develop in the off-season, it's all just a big cluster F*CK right now. I'm betting Goldwire is regretting coming to OU right about now, unfortunately.

The play call was for Goldwire to drive. Which is also what Moser wanted in Lawrence. Moser said Texas defended it well last night, but also said that he would have preferred for Chag to roll to the basket rather than pop to the perimeter. Again, it just continues a trend of poor execution late in games.

I’d also note that the the record in 5-point games is somewhat misleading. All three wins we have came in games where we had comfortable leads that we let slip away. We won those games by hanging on rather than by executing well down the stretch. For the most part, our wins have come in blowouts, and we have lost almost every game that was a coin flip.

Porter's last play call was perfectly fine. Texas' defense is known to switch almost all the time, instead of switching, both defenders in the pick n' roll blitzed Jordan. A good adjustment/counter by Beard, but Porter's play call has a baked-in counter to roll to the rim. Chargois has to have the bball IQ to roll instead of pick n' pop. If he rolls, he catches the pass and has a clear lane and it's a 3 on 2 situation and about 3 seconds. He would have had a clear opportunity at a dunk to win it.

42 seconds left in OT, it's 77-76 and Harkless throws one of his patented bone headed passes. I'm more amazed OU is in a position to win some of these games, rather than OU blowing it at the end. At some point talent will take over. We don't even have a single borderline NBA/G-league player. Give it time.

Last edited:
We don't even have a single borderline NBA/G-league player. Give it time.

Why don't we have such a player? Why do so many act like it was written in stone that we'd be without talented players? I'll say it again: texas has eight transfer players on their team, and the consensus seems to be that they are better than our transfers. Why did we come up so short on talent? And why, if our talent is limited, haven't we at least executed well, which was reported to be Moser's strength as a coach?

For those who follow Toby on Twitter, he just posted a good breakdown of the final possession of regulation. As I posted last night, that possession doesn’t bother me as much as the end of OT. I guess it’s just concerning that two very experienced players didn’t make great decisions at game point, and I wonder why that keeps happening.

Why don't we have such a player? Why do so many act like it was written in stone that we'd be without talented players? I'll say it again: texas has eight transfer players on their team, and the consensus seems to be that they are better than our transfers. Why did we come up so short on talent? And why, if our talent is limited, haven't we at least executed well, which was reported to be Moser's strength as a coach?

OU does execute well ..

that is why OU is #5 in 2 point percentage in the country

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/two-point-pct

OU is #52 in offense efficiency and 32 in D efficiency

https://kenpom.com/

OU is 338th in Luck ... and has played the 12th hardest schedule in the country

Being a tad critical dont you think?

Give the guy a chance to fix it. We recruited Christian Bishop as hard as anyone in America. He chose Texas. Happens.

Beard pays players, Ou doesn’t. Moser couldn’t go buy the top transfers like ut did. Moser in his 1st year of recruiting has secured 2 4* high school players and a gifted euro. This was a complete rebuild for moser, just like it was for Lon and Capel.

Being a tad critical dont you think?

Give the guy a chance to fix it. We recruited Christian Bishop as hard as anyone in America. He chose Texas. Happens.

I'm not the one who keeps saying we have no talent. I'm responding to the many posters who insist that's the case. If we're low on talent, why is that? Moser had as much time to put a solid team together as Beard did.

If, as I've always suspected, Beard is dirty, then my comparison is moot. I don't want Coach Moser to cheat.

As for execution, if we're so good at two-point shots, and I know the stats say we are, then why the heck aren't we shooting more of them? We are not generally good at shooting threes, and in any many of our losses, practically all we did was throw up shots from long distance. When I suggested a few weeks back that we should shoot less often from deep and utilize the midrange more often, i got shot down.

But execution is not just two-point shooting. Until very recently, our turnover rate has been awful. And our rebounding has been erratic at best -- when it's been bad, it's been horrific. You don't have to be a great athlete to avoid turnovers or to get your share of rebounds.

We've been better against the tougher teams than the ones we should beat. How does one explain that? There's no reason we should have been swept by TCU. No reason we should have lost by double digits to oswho. No reason we should have been dominated in Austin. I don't think Coach Moser is getting the most out of this team, and he was touted as the guy to do that, the guy who succeeds with lesser talent.

Last edited:
Back