Pre-season update

jaymOU

Reaction score
Got news on the three freshman, Mason is by far the most ready right now - an absolute baller, per my source. Will play this year for sure. Surprised how good he actually is. Cortes and CJ struggling to adjust to D1 and college right now.

Hear there is a lot of uncertainty with how rotations might work and who can play with whom. Not surprisingly, since basically everyone is new.

My source was worried about how well this team will be able to compete in a loaded Big 12.

With all the new faces, I am not shocked, but I was hoping for a little rosier outlook.

Thanks for the post. I would have expected, with new coaches, new schemes, and new players, we would be out of kilter for a while. 4 months until the season starts. I am just hoping we can put it together by January 2022, and finish in the top 4 of the big 12.

So, with Marvin back do we have too many schollie players? If so, how are we going to work this out.

BTW, a little off topic, but I saw Jason Y play several times in high school and thought he was going to be a star at OU. So much for my talent evaluation.

Billy T is my all time favorite coach at OU. I loved just about everything about the guy as a coach except he played his best 5 players and not his best 4 and best Center. He had some height but never played them because he always found a 6'5 or 6 guy that was a better player. I would have just had centers compete against centers (Like Eddie Sutton). Yanish didn't pan out, but neither would have Big Country at OU. I just think you have to play a big to develop them. They rarely develop without playing. Probably the exception to that at OU would be Stacy King.

In 1988, Billy's best 5 players happen to include King and Grant. We were one of the best teams ever and the perhaps the best team not to win the NCAA championship. If Billy hadn't pulled his full court press, we would have a championship trophy. I have always thought that, and years later I heard Billy say that in an interview.

Mason looks to have elite speed on the tape.

We all know it’s going to come down to offense for this team. We’ll be able to defend and rebound. Who can score consistently? Going to need some guys to step up.

KU, Baylor, and UT are the cream of the crop. Can we finish in that next tier? Probably if we can find some scoring.

Thanks for the post. I would have expected, with new coaches, new schemes, and new players, we would be out of kilter for a while. 4 months until the season starts. I am just hoping we can put it together by January 2022, and finish in the top 4 of the big 12.

So, with Marvin back do we have too many schollie players? If so, how are we going to work this out.

Is Marvin officially back? I did not know that he was. I can reach out and see what I can find. Maybe others already know if he is back or not.

1. Harkless
2. Chargois
3. Mawein
4. Gibson
5. Goldwire
6. Issanza
7. Groves
8. Groves
9. Noland
10. Cortez
11. Alston
12. Hill
13. Johnson ?

I think OU is fine at 13.

Is Marvin officially back? I did not know that he was. I can reach out and see what I can find. Maybe others already know if he is back or not.

1. Harkless
2. Chargois
3. Mawein
4. Gibson
5. Goldwire
6. Issanza
7. Groves
8. Groves
9. Noland
10. Cortez
11. Alston
12. Hill
13. Johnson ?

I think OU is fine at 13.
I think he is as officially back as one can be without Moser coming out and saying anything. He was on the video they put out at TopGolf, I believe.

Got news on the three freshman, Mason is by far the most ready right now - an absolute baller, per my source. Will play this year for sure. Surprised how good he actually is. Cortes and CJ struggling to adjust to D1 and college right now.

Hear there is a lot of uncertainty with how rotations might work and who can play with whom. Not surprisingly, since basically everyone is new.

My source was worried about how well this team will be able to compete in a loaded Big 12.

With all the new faces, I am not shocked, but I was hoping for a little rosier outlook.

Mason, the kid from BV in Overland Park?

Wow…

Much appreciate the update! This team should be expected to defend at a very high level, that goes a long way. I remain optimistic they have the offense working come January.

Last edited:
That will be the biggest question, can they hit enough outside shots to be good enough on offense. I think the D will be there. I think the rebounding will be there. I think we have some guys that can create and get to the rim. Just don't know about shooters.

If we can establish an inside game, and I think we can, then most of our shooters should be shooting without a defender in close proximity with hands in close proximity to the shooter's face, which occurred in past years. Add to that a likely stingy defense, with decent rebounding skills, and we should be alright as some point in time.

I think prkranger has it right. It will come down to how we do on offense. We almost have to be better defensively (with Goldwire and new 4s -- groves and mawein) We have to be better in the rebounding department (all the new bigs, particularly T Groves and Chamgois).

I think it would be reasonable to expect Harkless, Gibson and Hill to be a little more consistent with their shooting, and for us to likely get more inside scoring. But, I never watched Loyola and I really don't know what to expect offensively. I also don't remember seeing Goldwire play much, so don't know what to expect there.

All in all, I am hoping to be a little better than last year and hopefully finish 4th or 5th in the Big 12 and then go dancing. Don't really have a prediction, just hoping.

What is the limitation on practice time with the coaches in the summer? 2 hours, twice a week or something like that? I expect that they will pick up the finer points of the new offense and defense much better after full time practices begin.

Moser signed Mason in mid-April, not long after he arrived at OU. He has a connection to Oakland Park, as two of his FF team were from that school. Mason also played for Mokan Elite, another important connection in that area. His numbers were impressive: Mason averaged 22.4 points, 4.7 assists and 2.0 steals while shooting 44% from 3-point range.

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/4/14/mens-basketball-moser-inks-first-signee-in-alston-mason.aspx

Overland Park...not that it's a big deal. Suburb of Kansas City, Kansas side.

Moser signed Mason in mid-April, not long after he arrived at OU. He has a connection to Oakland Park, as two of his FF team were from that school. Mason also played for Mokan Elite, another important connection in that area. His numbers were impressive: Mason averaged 22.4 points, 4.7 assists and 2.0 steals while shooting 44% from 3-point range.

https://soonersports.com/news/2021/4/14/mens-basketball-moser-inks-first-signee-in-alston-mason.aspx

Love those numbers..

Back