VCU (on the road)
Houston (neutral floor)
UTEP (neutral floor)
Gonzaga (on the road)
Utah (on the road)
Arkansas
Washington State
Arizona

How do you guys see this games playing out? I see OU losing 2-3 of them. Thats a REALLY tough non-conference schedule for a team relying so heavily on freshman.

Last edited:
VCU (on the road)
Houston (neutral floor)
UTEP (neutral floor)
Gonzaga (on the road)
Utah (on the road)
Arkansas
Arizona

How do you guys see this games playing out? I see OU losing 2-3 of them. Thats a REALLY tough non-conference schedule for a team relying so heavily on freshman.

Very difficult schedule for such a young team. Hoping that we don't lose any, but I think a minimum of 3...would love to be wrong.

I agree we will lose 2 or 3 of those games, but 5-2 or 4-3 in those games is a good record for a young team, especially with only 2 of those games at home.

I agree we will lose 2 or 3 of those games, but 5-2 or 4-3 in those games is a good record for a young team, especially with only 2 of those games at home.

I agree....

Why not include Washington St in that list?

I would be ecstatic with 5-2 in those games. I wouldn't be surprised if it was better or worse than that.

Why not include Washington St in that list?

Added

I would be ecstatic with 5-2 in those games. I wouldn't be surprised if it was better or worse than that.

I wouldnt be either. I would be more surprise if it was better than 5-2, but wouldnt be surprise if it was worse than that.

I have no idea what to expect from this team, except that I think they have the talent to make the tournament. I won't be shocked if we end up a 4-5 seed or an 11-12 seed.

tough scheduling but good for our young team to play tough road and neutral court games. That will help them in the tournament.

I expect 4-3 and three anything better is impressive for a young team with so many games on the road. If we do worse I would be disappointed, but young teams frequently don't play to the best of their talent on the road.

Personally, that Utah and Gonzaga games seem the scariest to me. AU will be tough, but at least we have them at home and every other game up there is going to be tough. I will continue to say this: we will know how good this team can be by the time conference play begins.

Prediction: OU will win 5-6 of these games.

Take that glass half empty!

VCU (on the road)
Houston (neutral floor)
UTEP (neutral floor)
Gonzaga (on the road)
Utah (on the road)
Arkansas
Washington State
Arizona

In my opinion, OU shoudl beat VCU, Houston and UTEP regardless of the location. If people will agree with that, it becomes 3 and 2 with the remaining 5 games (including 2 road games). Ultimately, I say it comes down to the fans. If the fans support the team and pack the house, I say OU can and will go 1 and 1 on the road games and wins all three at home.

I know some people will read this and think my comments about fan support is ridiculous but it makes a big, big difference in college basketball. I really hope BigTime and all his efforts gets the students into basketball. A hard core student section almost makes a team unbeatable at home. (don't read this a shot at the students, especially the ones that read this - if this read this board they darn sure are not part of the problem).

Utah on the road will be very tough for this young team. Gonzaga will be another tough one. I see us winning the rest but of course anything can happen.

I'm gonna stay on the half full side and say OU drops two of those at the worse. I wasn't sure what to expect either, but have a good feeling about this team. Fitzgerald's play really impressed me, Pledger shot better than I expected and I know it was fairly week D from the BC team, but 13 of 23 from 3 range, this team has some shooters on it. I think between that and having a couple of strong big men, OU is going to be a better than expected team this year because they will play as a team. It won't be 75% of the game plan to go to Blake. Not that I didn't love watching him last year, but they often didn't play as a team and now they have no choice.

This team is young and those road trips worry me.

Heading to VCU early (3rd game of the year) and if that place is rowdy who knows, they may have lost Maynor but they still got some players.

Houston/Washington St up in Alaska, weird environment, might lead to a bad shooting night or flat play.

Road trip up to Utah might be tough as well, little bit of elevation, last game before finals start, ehh just seems like a trap game.

Gonzaga, you know their fans are going to be crazy. Plus it is on New Years eve so they will have crazy drunk fans, Gonzaga loves the chance to knock off the big boys so you know they will be ready to play.

Just seems like two of these will be loses.

Not that worried about the ones in Oklahoma, I think our talent level + crowd factor (have a good feeling about the crowds for Zona and the Pigs) will be enough to win those.

Of course Willie has had some of his best games on the road (Rice, Arkansas, Iowa St and Texas) so who knows if he is a good as I expect him too be he could carry us past all those teams.

Gonna be interesting to see how this young team handles these unfriendly confines so early in the season.

This is funny because Gottlieb was just on the radio the other day talking about how OU should look really good because their schedule, while looking good on paper, was not as tough as it looked. Gottlieb usually knows his stuff on these types of things but after seeing those games I don't know. He specifically mentioned Gonzaga, Arkansas, and Arizona as being big names but being down a little bit in talent.

This is funny because Gottlieb was just on the radio the other day talking about how OU should look really good because their schedule, while looking good on paper, was not as tough as it looked. Gottlieb usually knows his stuff on these types of things but after seeing those games I don't know. He specifically mentioned Gonzaga, Arkansas, and Arizona as being big names but being down a little bit in talent.

this is a good point ... the zags should be as down as they have been in 5 years ... zona needs frosh to make a major inpact and wise is not as good as WW .. .

this is a good point ... the zags should be as down as they have been in 5 years ... zona needs frosh to make a major inpact and wise is not as good as WW .. .

If Gottlieb is right then OU will have a much better record than people think in the non-conference and thus put themselves in position for a very nice seed in the tourney with a #3 finish in the Big 12. You are looking at probably a #3-4 seed in that case.

I'd say 2 losses. I think OU is better than some think.

Think Kansas last year. A lot of growing pains early, but a Sweet 16 to end the season. If OU goes 5-2 I would be pleased, and despite "down" years by a few of those teams the road games will still be tough. VCU, Utah, and Gonzaga worry me the most, I think we will handle the home games and the neutral site teams just aren't as talented as we are. I would like to steal at least one road game and win the home and neutral sites.

Back