Pressey names new leader

I thought that Baylor played good basketball toward the end of last year but prior to that I thought Drew did a less that stellar job of utilizing the talent he had. Maybe he learned something along the way but it is way too early to elevate his coaching ability into the upper echelon of great coaches. He just ain't there yet.

I'd take Dugat, Dunn, Carter, and Jerrels over Holmes, Sloan Carter, Harris, Paige, T. Harris, Mason, Balbay, and Ward any day.

Very true statement. Baylor quite possibly had the best backcourt in the Big 12 last year.
DFW you've already said that you feel Lace Dunn is better than Sherron Collins so I'm quite certain you would have to agree that Jerrells, Dugat & Carter are better than Taylor, Reed and Morningstar. I certainly would take Jerrells, Dugat and Carter over those 3.
You can't make statements in one thread and then contradict them in another. By your assessment of Baylors talent they should have finished higher last year and very high this year.

Some points:

1. Back to the original topic, Pressey might not be as coveted by UConn as the reports earlier in the week. Zagsblog had a post about Selby and mentioned 3 other PGs that Calhoun was targeting and Pressey wasn't one of them. This bodes well for Baylor and Missouri.

2. Dirty Mess- your list leaves off a few guys- just scrubs like AJ Abrams, James Anderson, Byron Eaton and Derrick Roland. Would I take Baylor's guys last year over those other backcourts offensively? Not Oklahoma State but I would over the other 3 you mentioned. I misread your original post and thought you were saying Baylor had better overall talent than those 4 teams you mentioned (UT, OSU, KSU and A&M). But even if we are just talking backcourts, I rank them:

a. OSU
b. A&M, Baylor, UT
c. KSU

Why do I rank A&M and UT even with Baylor? Defense. Let me give you an example from my own life to illustrate a point. I am a gym rat and play lots of pick up ball. When I am picking a squad, I will always go defense first. More times than not, it yields wins. Most guys pick for offense.

I think Jerry Meyers at Rivals does a good job evaluating talent but the evaluations are always skewed for offense. At under 6'0"- Carter, Jerrells and Dugat just did not have the tools to be premier defenders. If you have one guy at 5'11", it is not a problem. If you are playing 3 together, you have issues.

The point is OSU had the best all around backcourt in the big12. Mizzou was probably 2nd. OU third. Kansas 4th- Taylor is a terrific defender. Baylor, A&M, UT tied for 5th. That is my take- obviously open for interpretation.

3. Soonernorm- great post. No one is anointing Scott Drew an elite coach. He's done a terrific job recruiting. I don't think any sane person would argue that. He's done a terrific job turning Baylor basketball from the pit to respectability. Time will tell if he is an elite coach. I will put him in the category of elite as a recruiter though. And I think the way Baylor finished the year last year should not be discounted. It is really tough to take a demoralized, beaten team that entered the big12 tourney losing 10 of 12 and breathe new life into them.

That is all- have a good weekend gents.

Some points:

1. Back to the original topic, Pressey might not be as coveted by UConn as the reports earlier in the week. Zagsblog had a post about Selby and mentioned 3 other PGs that Calhoun was targeting and Pressey wasn't one of them. This bodes well for Baylor and Missouri.

Pressey said that UCONN is his leader. I trust that over Zagoria. How does Adam know who Calhoun is targeting at the point guard position?

There is a good post on the Jayhawkslant with quotes from Phil saying how much he likes Mike Anderson and his trip to Mizzou. At this moment I would go with:

UCONN
Mizzou
Baylor

in that order for his services.

Pressey said that UCONN is his leader. I trust that over Zagoria. How does Adam know who Calhoun is targeting at the point guard position?

There is a good post on the Jayhawkslant with quotes from Phil saying how much he likes Mike Anderson and his trip to Mizzou. At this moment I would go with:

UCONN
Mizzou
Baylor

in that order for his services.

Mizzou may get him. The relationship with Anderson and dad is strong. What guard wouldn't want to play in that system?

Baylor's advantage over Mizzou would be better talent around him. If Baylor does not lose Udoh and/or Lace Dunn to the NBA, you could argue that the Bears have a legitimate shot at a national championship in 2010 with the addition of Perry Jones.

Pressey is a smart kid. I am sure he will weigh all the options and make the best decision for him. Unlike so many in the recruiting world that get pimped out by handlers, you can feel confident that this one is going to be decided for the right reasons.

My gut tells me he goes to Baylor or Mizzou. We'll see.

Mizzou may get him. The relationship with Anderson and dad is strong. What guard wouldn't want to play in that system?

Baylor's advantage over Mizzou would be better talent around him. If Baylor does not lose Udoh and/or Lace Dunn to the NBA, you could argue that the Bears have a legitimate shot at a national championship in 2010 with the addition of Perry Jones.

Pressey is a smart kid. I am sure he will weigh all the options and make the best decision for him. Unlike so many in the recruiting world that get pimped out by handlers, you can feel confident that this one is going to be decided for the right reasons.

My gut tells me he goes to Baylor or Mizzou. We'll see.

Define legitimate....Top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

Define legitimate....Top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

If Udoh and Dunn return, they will likely be ranked in the top 20 to start the season but on paper will have top 10 talent. It depends on a lot of factors though. It assumes that guys like Willie Warren, Avery Bradley, Xavier Henry, Aldrich/Collins go pro as expected.

But you could make the argument that with Pressey, the Bears could make a strong run at it:

Bigs (Perry Jones, Udoh, Acy, Sekelja, Jefferson)
Wings (Dunn, Crump, Dennis, McLaughlin, Anthony Jones)
Orchestrators (Pressey, Walton)

That is a team on paper with very little weaknesses.

If Udoh and Dunn return, they will likely be ranked in the top 20 to start the season but on paper will have top 10 talent. It depends on a lot of factors though. It assumes that guys like Willie Warren, Avery Bradley, Xavier Henry, Aldrich/Collins go pro as expected.

But you could make the argument that with Pressey, the Bears could make a strong run at it:

I have to agree... I dont spot a weakness there unless perimeter defense isnt good or some of those guys flop. Both of those are a big possibility.

I have to agree... I dont spot a weakness there unless perimeter defense isnt good or some of those guys flop. Both of those are a big possibility.

True- you could also have a guy or two transfer because he isn't getting the playing time he thinks he deserves. Dragan may also go back to Europe to play pro after one year if he does well.

You will need to land a PG for sure, because Walton is not impressive. It was interesting talking to a couple of national guys about him while OU was giving him a look. Over-hyped and weak were both used to describe his game.... If you get Pressey, then I think the bears will be in great shape for a tourney run in 2010.

2. Dirty Mess- your list leaves off a few guys- just scrubs like AJ Abrams, James Anderson, Byron Eaton and Derrick Roland. Would I take Baylor's guys last year over those other backcourts offensively? Not Oklahoma State but I would over the other 3 you mentioned. I misread your original post and thought you were saying Baylor had better overall talent than those 4 teams you mentioned (UT, OSU, KSU and A&M). But even if we are just talking backcourts, I rank them:

Obviously because I wouldn't take them over those guys. I would take Dunn over Abrams and Maybe Jerrells. I would take all of them over Roland from a defensive standpoint. Fact is Baylor had better overall talent in my opinion than those guys. Rogers, Acy, and Jones are a decent trio of offensive players and middle of the pack post players. Undoubtedly better post players than OSU.

You will need to land a PG for sure, because Walton is not impressive. It was interesting talking to a couple of national guys about him while OU was giving him a look. Over-hyped and weak were both used to describe his game.... If you get Pressey, then I think the bears will be in great shape for a tourney run in 2010.

I have seen them scrimmage recently and I like what I saw from Walton. Quick hands, great ball-handler, good defender, takes the ball strong to the hoop. His shooting is average. But I don't think Baylor needs him to be a scorer.

But even if Walton proves to be a good player, they will need a PG for 2010. Pressey is the guy they are going after. They are also recruiting Franklin and Dority.

DM- my bad. I misread your post from the beginning. I thought you were conveniently leaving out the best guards in the conference when comparing them to the Bears.

I have seen them scrimmage recently and I like what I saw from Walton. Quick hands, great ball-handler, good defender, takes the ball strong to the hoop. His shooting is average. But I don't think Baylor needs him to be a scorer.

But even if Walton proves to be a good player, they will need a PG for 2010. Pressey is the guy they are going after. They are also recruiting Franklin and Dority.

DM- my bad. I misread your post from the beginning. I thought you were conveniently leaving out the best guards in the conference when comparing them to the Bears.

DFW,

I have got to give you props bud. You have more sunshine in your pockets than your boy Drew does! I wish we could get you promoting OU. :)

DFWHoopster...it's time you get yourself an avatar. IMHO, you should go with this.........

Scott-Drew.jpg

Chendog's sunshine pumping doesn't have anything of DFW. DFW is the real deal. Wow, a Baylor fan.

DFW,

I have got to give you props bud. You have more sunshine in your pockets than your boy Drew does! I wish we could get you promoting OU. :)

BT- you get more humorous every day. I do need to meet you for a beer. You'd probably have my sides sore from giggling at all of the silly things that you say.

I'm not sunshine pumping on Walton. I actually held back. Here is another sunshine pumper:

Scout/ESPN:

Walton is a pure point guard who excels at pushing the ball down the court, penetrating and hitting open teammates with on-target passes. He is an accurate 3-point shooter, but usually looks to pass first. He has great acceleration, including an overdrive gear, which he utilizes to explode to the hoop. Walton is the team leader for the Arkansas Wings Elite Gold team and was one of the leaders in both assists and steals in this event (2008 Super Showcase U17). He can matchup with any of the top point guards in the Class of 2009.

He was Mr Basketball in Arkansas.

Did you really say silly and giggling in the same sentence. Wow. :)

I'm glad OU didn't offer Walton. Would have ruined our chances with TMG. Good thing the coaches decided no go after they saw him at the Sooner Cager Classic...

Back