Q&A with a Spartan fan

I don't think either team will make it to the upper 70's. This game won't be the up and down that some seem to think. At least, I wouldn't think it would be.

I'd guess mid to high 60's.

Edit: Just looked this up, but MSU was 224 in the country as far as tempo. Unless something changed, personnel-wise, mid-season or so, I think MSU slows the game down more than the OP might think.

A lot changed mid season, and a lot changed well after mid season. Not in terms of available personnel, but in terms of starting lineup and playing time. This team took a very long time to come together. If you were to go back and watch games they played in January and February you would understand that really isn't the same team. You guys seem to love you some Kenpom, but I'm not sure how accurately those rankings will predict the course of this game.

Objective? :ez-laugh: Let me list a few of the superlatives you used to describe the MSU players: • Lightning fast; • Shoot the lights out; • Assist machine; • Nearly unstoppable; • Freakishly athletic.

I could go on, but I think we got the point.

Look, we all know that Tom Izzo's teams are well coached and very hard to beat – especially in March. But that assessment of the players on this year's squad was anything but objective. The Spartans may run OU out of the gym tomorrow night, and if they do, I'll be the first to give them credit for it. But I'd rather you not come to my team's board and tell me that the best my Sooners can expect is to be "competitive" against the lightning fast, shoot the lights out, nearly unstoppable, freakishly athletic Spartans.

I came here to talk about the matchup, not talk trash. Apparently you missed the parts where I said things like Dawson has bad handles, Valentine makes dumb decisions, Nairn can't shoot the ball... I'm not gonna retype my entire post here. I also predicted a close game and said this was going to be a battle because the two teams are so similar. Did you not really read my post or are you really that touchy?

Could you please provide the heights of MSU's players? I know I can look them up but I suspect you know.

OU's listed heights are as follows:

Spangler 6'8"
Thomas 6'8"
Hield 6'4"
Cousins, 6'4"
Woodard 6'0"
Booker 6'4"
Lattin 6'9"
Walker (I think 6'1", you might want to check that)
Bennett 6'8"

That is generally the order they will enter the game. The starters are all capable of big games. They have probably all scored 20 or more at one point this season. Spangler is the best rebounder and very efficient. When he has big offensive games he often shoots a very high percentage. Thomas is the best in the paint. He can be really good at times. Cousins shoots at a very high percentage. Hield is really good but sometimes he is a volume scorer meaning his percentage is not always great. Woodard is not a great shooter but does get to the paint and the line. The team shoots free throws well but probably doesn't get to the line enough. The guards rebound well. Woodard often gets a surprising number of boards for his size.

Lattin provides strong rebounding, shot blocking and energy. He is not a huge scoring threat. Most OU fans think he is going to be a pretty good college player. His Grandfather is Big Daddy Lattin of Texas Western (all black starters that beat Kentucky for a National Championship years ago) and ABA/NBA fame. His mother is Monica Lamb and she played many years in the WNBA. The kid has pretty amazing genetics with a paternal grandfather and mother with professional backgrounds.

Booker is a good three point shooter and has had some good games but has also had some low scoring games. He is pretty athletic and plays hard. He is not the defender that Hield and Cousins are but is not a bad defender. OU needs offensive production from Booker to be at its best.

Walker scored well in non-conference play but didn't score much in Big XII play. He is a first year Juco transfer. Any points OU gets from Walker is a bonus. If he is productive offensively, that is probably not a good sign for MSU.

Bennett rebounds, blocks shots, and gives energy. He is serviceable but certainly not a starter in either the Big Ten or Big XII.

Is the official name of the Big Ten now the Big? I noticed you referenced it that way.

MisterMarch, do you think Brendan Dawson makes it to the NBA? I can't think of a 6'6" player with no outside shot and poor handles making it. In size and athleticism, I'd compare him to Andre Igadola except Andre has good handles and, in the past, a reliable outside shot.

MSU lost to Texas Southern. How did that happen, MisterMarch?

Well, Dawson didn't play, they had a terrible night shooting the ball, they played soft, and they let off the gas when they should have put the game away. Izzo thought he went too easy on them in practice, said he didn't prepare them well enough, called it a coaching loss. The team has come a very long way since then.

LOL let's see if this guy is so civil when we win by double digits. MSU is the kind of time every east coast guy is stroking...they are going down in flames tomorrow night.

MisterMarch, do you think Brendan Dawson makes it to the NBA? I can't think of a 6'6" player with no outside shot and poor handles making it. In size and athleticism, I'd compare him to Andre Igadola except Andre has good handles and, in the past, a reliable outside shot.

I think if he does make it, it'll be after a stint in the D League. But it's a long shot, IMO.

The starters are all capable of big games. They have probably all scored 20 or more at one point this season.

All but Woodard (17 @ OSU = season high) have had more than 1 above 20+. However, to be fair, I don't think you could reasonably expect Spangler to show up with that kind of offensive output Friday. He's only hit double digits in 1 out of the last 10 games. Of course, he'll contribute big in other ways.

I came here to talk about the matchup, not talk trash. Apparently you missed the parts where I said things like Dawson has bad handles, Valentine makes dumb decisions, Nairn can't shoot the ball... I'm not gonna retype my entire post here. I also predicted a close game and said this was going to be a battle because the two teams are so similar. Did you not really read my post or are you really that touchy?

What you came here for was to tell us that your Spartans were going to beat our Sooner butts. Nothing more, nothing less. So you did what you set out to do; now why don't you move along?

Thanks for stopping by, MisterMarch.

I think you have been fair in your assessment of your squad. They are playing at a high level right now and are coached by one of the best in the business.

I expect am extremely competitive game, and I will be there going crazy for my SOONERS!

What you came here for was to tell us that your Spartans were going to beat our Sooner butts. Nothing more, nothing less. So you did what you set out to do; now why don't you move along?

Seriously? Chill a little. The guy has been nothing but civil and provided a good insight. Is he biased? Sure, but he's a FAN. That's both allowed and expected. I, for one, appreciate the view of the game from the other side of things.

Could you please provide the heights of MSU's players? I know I can look them up but I suspect you know.

OU's listed heights are as follows:

Spangler 6'8"
Thomas 6'8"
Hield 6'4"
Cousins, 6'4"
Woodard 6'0"
Booker 6'4"
Lattin 6'9"
Walker (I think 6'1", you might want to check that)
Bennett 6'8"

That is generally the order they will enter the game. The starters are all capable of big games. They have probably all scored 20 or more at one point this season. Spangler is the best rebounder and very efficient. When he has big offensive games he often shoots a very high percentage. Thomas is the best in the paint. He can be really good at times. Cousins shoots at a very high percentage. Hield is really good but sometimes he is a volume scorer meaning his percentage is not always great. Woodard is not a great shooter but does get to the paint and the line. The team shoots free throws well but probably doesn't get to the line enough. The guards rebound well. Woodard often gets a surprising number of boards for his size.

Lattin provides strong rebounding, shot blocking and energy. He is not a huge scoring threat. Most OU fans think he is going to be a pretty good college player. His Grandfather is Big Daddy Lattin of Texas Western (all black starters that beat Kentucky for a National Championship years ago) and ABA/NBA fame. His mother is Monica Lamb and she played many years in the WNBA. The kid has pretty amazing genetics with a paternal grandfather and mother with professional backgrounds.

Booker is a good three point shooter and has had some good games but has also had some low scoring games. He is pretty athletic and plays hard. He is not the defender that Hield and Cousins are but is not a bad defender. OU needs offensive production from Booker to be at its best.

Walker scored well in non-conference play but didn't score much in Big XII play. He is a first year Juco transfer. Any points OU gets from Walker is a bonus. If he is productive offensively, that is probably not a good sign for MSU.

Bennett rebounds, blocks shots, and gives energy. He is serviceable but certainly not a starter in either the Big Ten or Big XII.

Is the official name of the Big Ten now the Big? I noticed you referenced it that way.

Nairn is 5'10"
Trice is 6'0"
Valentine is 6'5"
Dawson is 6'6"
Costello is 6'9"
Schilling is 6'9"
Forbes is 6'3"
Clark is 6'6"
Ellis is 6'4"
Wollenman is 6'7"

The Sooners have a height advantage in the backcourt, MSU has a slight advantage in the frontcourt. MSU's guards also rebound very well for their size. From everything you're telling me, it sounds like these teams are very similar. MSU goes "10 deep" on paper, but Ellis and Wollenman really don't get much action unless there's an injury or early foul trouble. How do the minutes get spread around amongst the 9 you mentioned?

EDIT: Also, B1G is just an internet abbreviation based on the new conference logo.

Last edited:
Nairn is 5'10"
Trice is 6'0"
Valentine is 6'5"
Dawson is 6'6"
Costello is 6'9"
Schilling is 6'9"
Forbes is 6'3"
Clark is 6'6"
Ellis is 6'4"
Wollenman is 6'7"

The Sooners have a height advantage in the backcourt, MSU has a slight advantage in the frontcourt. MSU's guards also rebound very well for their size. From everything you're telling me, it sounds like these teams are very similar. MSU goes "10 deep" on paper, but Ellis and Wollenman really don't get much action unless there's an injury or early foul trouble. How do the minutes get spread around amongst the 9 you mentioned?

Like has been said before, you could have cut and pasted your team recap from your original post and put our names on it and been pretty accurate. These teams are built very similarly.

As for playing time, our starters (Woodard, Hield, Cousins, Spangler and Thomas) play the majority of the minutes. Booker probably plays 15 minutes per game (off the top of my head) when he's not in the doghouse, Lattin plays around 10-15 min., Bennet plays a few and Walker plays a few. We don't go much deeper than 7 guys and we don't have more than 9 that play any meaningful minutes.

Booker and Lattin are now getting the bulk of the minutes off the bench. Walker averages close to 11 minutes per game on the season, but that's a bit deceiving. His minutes have decreased dramatically since early February. Bennett is more of a "filler" post player (fouls, injuries, etc.), but he's been known to provide some much needed production when called upon.

In short, OU is not very deep, and it's been a weakness at times.

Seriously? Chill a little. The guy has been nothing but civil and provided a good insight. Is he biased? Sure, but he's a FAN. That's both allowed and expected. I, for one, appreciate the view of the game from the other side of things.

You're a good poster, Zimwillett, and if you think this guy's original post was fine, who am I to disagree?

The starters all play around 30 minutes a game. Booker probably gets 12-15 minutes. Lattin is about the same. Walker and Bennett get the remaining minutes, however, if Lattin isn't playing well his minutes might go to Bennett.

OU rarely has foul trouble. There have only been three dqs all season and I recall two of them being pretty questionable. I don't recall the third.

Things I want to see and you don't are: Woodard hitting outside shots early (pull ups inside the arc are not your real problem it is him getting a hot hand on jumpers); Cousins having a big game (I think he is due); Hield playing efficiently (when he is shooting really well, OU is almost unbeatable); Spangler hitting an early 3 point shot (if Spangler hits an early three it will stretch your defense and make it more difficult to guard Thomas); Thomas scoring big in the first half; bench production from anyone other than Booker; and Booker shooting well. If all of that happens (and it likely won't) OU will likely win by 20. I don't mean that as an insult to MSU, it would just be everyone playing at their best and feeding off each other. I am not sure all of this has happened in a single game this season but individually all of that has happened and any of those things is a big boost to OU in my opinion.

What you typically see with OU is two guys have big games (and it doesn't have to be Hield and Thomas but they are the most likely guys to do it) the other three starters playing to their averages and some bench production from Booker but usually in the 5-8 points range.

My prediction (and I am always positive or a sunshine pumper as OU fans like to say) is Cousins having a really good game. My perception without looking at stats is that Cousins hasn't had a big game in a while and he is plenty capable. He had 15 against MSU last year and didn't make any three pointers. He is shooting about 45% from 3 point range this season.

I think OU wins in a competitive game.

Things I want to see and you don't are: Woodard hitting outside shots early (pull ups inside the arc are not your real problem it is him getting a hot hand on jumpers); Cousins having a big game (I think he is due); Hield playing efficiently (when he is shooting really well, OU is almost unbeatable); Spangler hitting an early 3 point shot (if Spangler hits an early three it will stretch your defense and make it more difficult to guard Thomas); Thomas scoring big in the first half; bench production from anyone other than Booker; and Booker shooting well. If all of that happens (and it likely won't) OU will likely win by 20. I don't mean that as an insult to MSU, it would just be everyone playing at their best and feeding off each other. I am not sure all of this has happened in a single game this season but individually all of that has happened and any of those things is a big boost to OU in my opinion.

Hield playing efficiently/shooting + basically any one of the other factors you mentioned would, in my opinion, = a fun night for Sooner fans.

Out of all you listed, a Spangler 3 seems the most improbable and the least impactful. He is 30% (10-33), but has only taken 1 three in March, and hasn't made one since @ TCU on February 7. I'm really hoping Spangler is more focused on his dirty work!

A big thank you to the MSU poster for dropping by and sharing his knowledge, biased as it might be. The fact of the matter is, if both teams play their best basketball at the best of their abilities and neither coach gets in the way, OU wins by 5-7 points. I don't care how good Michigan State has played lately. OU is a solid top 12-15 basketball team and has been all season. All that said, playing your best at this time of year is difficult to do and who approaches that level the closest wins. The biggest weaknesses for each team seem to be the following; OU bench offensive production and MSU FT shooting. The FT shooting for the Spartans is the bigger liability and I think they falter enough down the stretch of a game where points won't come as easy as some think may think.

OU 67 Michigan State 64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Dawson didn't play, they had a terrible night shooting the ball, they played soft, and they let off the gas when they should have put the game away. Izzo thought he went too easy on them in practice, said he didn't prepare them well enough, called it a coaching loss. The team has come a very long way since then.

We had one of those against Kstate at home. I think Ou has come a long way since then too. I think this game is 50-50 right now honestly. Thanks for your input, MrMarch.

Back