Question b-ball fans?

boomer0187

Reaction score
I was up last night watching this game and I was just observing the players and I ask myself if you were coach Capel how many players would you really offer a scholly? Myself and Im not trying to knock these kids because they are just college athletes. But it makes me wonder what did they see.

Ryan Wright- I see why he didnt last at UCLA, has not showed any improvement.

Andrew Fitzgerald- Jury still out on this kid but so far I wonder, I will give him a pass.

Tony Crocker- Just has not done it for me in four years, to inconsistant.

Orlando Allen- I posted on here why was he not playing? Plays like he is in quick sand dosent have good hands.

Cade Davis- Cant create his own shot. good at coming off screans, good teams can defend that.

Ray Willis- Just cant cut it a little to light for me, maybe he will be able to help them down the road.

I do like:

Willie Warren- May wanna hold off on the NBA, his game is not there yet, maybe it will pick later in the year.

Steven Pledger- Helluva pick up.

Tommy Mason-Griffin- Good solid guard will only get better.

Tiny Gallon- Glad he chose OU, hate to see this team without him, he will get better as the season goes along.

Nice assessment! Not much there I disagree with.

0187, I assume a majority of the posters agree with your perspective of our team, and I commend you for being able to state it in a mature and intelligent manner. Posts like this is why I spend so much time on this site.
I hate those that attack the players as if they are enemies of the state.

Maybe now that many of us have came to realize our team is not as good as we thought is was going to be, and. can reach the point where we see it is not as bad as some think, we can again began to discuss the team with respect to the players and other posters. Too often after posting, posters are ambushed from more directions than were the calvery in old western movies. I'm not advocating sunshine pumping. 0187 didn't, but his opinion (somewhat negative) was done with respect.

I was up last night watching this game and I was just observing the players and I ask myself if you were coach Capel how many players would you really offer a scholly? Myself and Im not trying to knock these kids because they are just college athletes. But it makes me wonder what did they see.

Andrew Fitzgerald- Jury still out on this kid but so far I wonder, I will give him a pass.

Orlando Allen- I posted on here why was he not playing? Plays like he is in quick sand dosent have good hands.

Cade Davis- Cant create his own shot. good at coming off screans, good teams can defend that.

Ray Willis- Just cant cut it a little to light for me, maybe he will be able to help them down the road.

I do like:

Willie Warren- May wanna hold off on the NBA, his game is not there yet, maybe it will pick later in the year.

Tiny Gallon- Glad he chose OU, hate to see this team without him, he will get better as the season goes along.

I agree with most of your assessment, however, I would tweak a few things.

Fitz - is a freshman, Top 100 player out of high school. My opinion is that he is just a bit over his head right now, that doesn't mean he is scholly is a wash. Needs experience and probably a solid off-season on his game to develop into a consistent contributor. Unfortunately, that is the position where we have minimal depth, so he is forced into onto the court.

Allen/Wright - I have no problem with ONE of these players on scholarship. A big body in practice who can come in a few minutes a game is necessary for any major program. Fouls, couple rebounds, presence in the middle are all worth giving the scholarship for, but having two locked up shows a severe lack of depth.

Crocker - I will go to bat for Crocker everyday of the week, not the most popular position but I really don't care. Is he consistent offensively? Hell no, but he IS our best defender on the team. Ask Manny Harris how much he likes TC? (FYI Harris will probably challenge Lucas and Turner for Big Ten POY) He has had some huge games, Baylor at the LNC and Syracuse last year. TC is who he is, not much is going to change. However, I will add that I am a bit disappointed with his leadership so far this year, expect more from him.

Ray Willis - needs to transfer, which I'm sure he is already considering. If he can't get any burn when OU is losing to San Diego, then obviously something is up. Don't be surprised if he is gone by the start of the second semester so he only misses the first half of next year. Unfortunately his physical frame is not conducive to high-major basketball. Plus (and this is just a hunch) I get the feeling he isn't too concerned with his development, haven't seen much improvement in his limited action.

Cade Davis - This is the one I go back and forth on. When he was offered, you have to take into consideration the state of OU's team. Local recruit, teams with Blake Griffin in AAU, decent talent, I think you pull the trigger if you're Jeff Capel. Based on the fact that he develops into nice substitute down the road. Hasn't panned out completely, but he has shown glimpses. I am a bit disappointed in his development because as a substitute he doesn't have a defined role, which is what I look for in a bench player.

Kyle Hardrick - Shouldn't be on the team, period. With all due respect to Kyle, he wouldn't have started on my JUCO team either year I was there. FYI our posts both years played D-2 and one went to UMKC.

All that said, recruiting is a crap shoot, you lose just as many times as you win. However, I will add that it doesn't matter how many elite players you bring in, its the four year guys who define a program and ensure its longevity. I think we have a couple of those now in TMG (as he improves) and Pledger.

Last edited:
Nice assessment for the most part. Every good team has a guy like Cade on it. Glue guy who adds a spark and always plays hard.

At this point I would have to disagree with your assessment of three players. Crocker and Davis both play hard and mostly play well and deserve their scholarships without question.

Have we all been watching the same thing here? I ask because thus far I haven't seen much out of TMG that would make me consider him to be an above average point guard. I realize that he is only a freshman and is trying way too hard. It was good to see Capel give his starting spot to Pledger... or was it Davis.

One thing I definitely agree with is Ray Willis should not be taking up a scholarship spot. I have never understood the fans love affair with this kid. He has a great smile and I suppose he shoots well in practice. But his game is not on a D-1 level and I doubt it ever will be.

TMG has a horrible game last night. Way too early to give up on this kid. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Way too early to give up on any freshman.

Tony Crocker is inconsistent, but he's 100% Sooner. Very few players are as consistent as guys like Hollis Price and Blake Griffin.

0187, I assume a majority of the posters agree with your perspective of our team, and I commend you for being able to state it in a mature and intelligent manner. Posts like this is why I spend so much time on this site.
I hate those that attack the players as if they are enemies of the state.

Maybe now that many of us have came to realize our team is not as good as we thought is was going to be, and. can reach the point where we see it is not as bad as some think, we can again began to discuss the team with respect to the players and other posters. Too often after posting, posters are ambushed from more directions than were the calvery in old western movies. I'm not advocating sunshine pumping. 0187 didn't, but his opinion (somewhat negative) was done with respect.

I agree with this, and I don't intend for my responses to ever be attacks on a fellow poster. This is not meant to sound combative, I am just trying to add qualification to the context of this conversation:

-Crock was not recruited by Capel

-Cade Davis was the leading scorer tonight

-We aren't Kansas, UNC, or Kentucky. We can't just pick and choose. Although I like this thread hypothetically, the players we have on the roster are here for a reason.

You never know, the class of freshman we have right now may be the best overall that OU gets for awhile.

-I wonder sometimes how accurate the statement "_________ isn't a D-1 level athlete" is when referencing to certain players.

Example:

Ray Willis

:ray

Ranked No. 61 in the 2008 recruiting class by Scout.com and No. 109 by Rivals.com

There are over 180 D-1A schools and over 340 Division 1 schools.

Last edited:

I do like:

Not every player offered is going to be a hit. Duke and UNC has players that haven't lived up to their billing. I'm not going to say who I wouldn't offer, but I will say Wright is a good offer. He provides minutes and is a good team guy. No way would I not offer Crocker. He's done more for us these last 4 years outside of any player named Griffin. The jury is not out of Fitzgerald, this kid is good. He's already been better than Allen, Cannon, and Hardrick.

Back