Question

sooner_15

Reaction score
Could our football team put together a better basketball team then the one we currently have? Considering we play 4 guards and one big man the size of some o-linemen...

The football boys might play better defense. ;)

Emphatic no.

Agreed. With time to get into basketball shape, guys like Gresham, Tennell and Murray might be able to play a back up role. But no one on the current football team, except maybe Gresham (and that is a big IF), would start on this team. There definitely aren't enough good BB players to put an entire team on the floor. The three I mentioned were decent basketball players in high school, but IMHO, they all chose the right sport.

The football boys might play better defense. ;)

I won't argue that point. It couldn't be much worse, that's for sure. lol

Well then we should try and get Tennell to come over. Our bball team is just awful right now. Someone needs to tell Willie he is not a super star and play hard every possession. Why doesn't Fitzgerald play?

How can you say it wouldn't be close? Have you watched this team play? The Alaska trip? My point is, we play 4 guards. I know for a fact you could find 4 athletes on the football team to play hard defense. Tiny would have a field day. I don't understand how we can miss so many shots and why we do not try to incorporate more big men. TMG needs to run the point at all times, not Willie. TMG has much better basketball skills than Willie and Willie needs to realize that and work his tail off to get better before he even thinks about going to the NBA.

How can you say it wouldn't be close? Have you watched this team play? The Alaska trip? My point is, we play 4 guards. I know for a fact you could find 4 athletes on the football team to play hard defense. Tiny would have a field day. I don't understand how we can miss so many shots and why we do not try to incorporate more big men. TMG needs to run the point at all times, not Willie. TMG has much better basketball skills than Willie and Willie needs to realize that and work his tail off to get better before he even thinks about going to the NBA.

If you want 4 guards to show up and be practice players...sure, that could happen (but that is for womens basketball programs). Gresham MIGHT be able to get back into basketball gear, no one else touches the floor at the LNC.

Wasn't Bradford a pretty good ball player? I bet he could keep up with Cade. I hope Capel brings in a couple more big men for next year. This year we realize just how good Taylor was for 4 years.

Wasn't Bradford a pretty good ball player? I bet he could keep up with Cade. I hope Capel brings in a couple more big men for next year. This year we realize just how good Taylor was for 4 years.

Bradford was more of a forward in High School. The football team doesn't have above the rim rebounders or shot blockers. I think a Gresham could play if he had some practices under his belt and Franks would be an excellent onball defender.

Bradford was more of a forward in High School. The football team doesn't have above the rim rebounders or shot blockers. I think a Gresham could play if he had some practices under his belt and Franks would be an excellent onball defender.

Having played a lot of pickup games with the football players during my time at OU. I would say all the football team has is above the rim rebounders and shot blockers. Everyone on the football team can jump out of the gym. Having said that and even assuming Gresham's knee was better, there isn't one guy on the football team that could start on the basketball team. And Gresham would be the only one I would expect to get any playing time.

People lose sight of how good division I basketball players are. Especially how good of athletes they are. Anyone remember Bowman trying to play basketball at OSU?

P.S. From 1999 to 2007 I played countless pickup games with the football team. And there was more than a few that I thought could see the floor for OU. But very few that I thought were significantly better than the people already on the basketball team. I don't know if he was the very best, but one of the better football players at basketball was Hunter Wall. The dude was a legit 6'5" and was really fundamentally sound.

Back