Rank the Big 12 Coaches

I am going to take exception with all who rated Sadler higher than Drew. The question by BigTime was to rank the big 12 coaches in terms of results, x and o, recruiting, running a program, etc...

Doc's record at Nebraska:

2006–2007 Nebraska 17-14 6-10 8th
2007–2008 Nebraska 20-12 7-9 7th NIT 2nd Round
2008–2009 Nebraska 18-13 8-8 8th NIT 1st Round

Drew's record at Baylor:

2003–2004 Baylor 8-21 3-13 11th —
2004–2005 Baylor 9-19 1-15 12th —
2005–2006 Baylor 4-13 4-12 12th —
2006–2007 Baylor 15-16 4-12 11th —
2007–2008 Baylor 21-11 9-7 T–4th NCAA First Round
2008–2009 Baylor 24-15 5-11 9th NIT Runner-up

Obviously Drew's first 3 years at Baylor were as tough a situation as anyone has ever inherited. Your 3 best players (Taylor, Lucas, Roberts) have immediate eligibility at other schools. You are playing 5 walk-ons regularly.

So comparing the last three years to Doc's three years is a fair comparison. Results are pretty much a wash, wouldn't you agree?

Now, I think objectively you have to say the South is tougher than the North and give Drew a slight edge there.

Drew versus Sadler recruiting- no comparison. The future is bright for Baylor because of talent inflow- 8 top 100 national players currently on their roster. And two 5-star prospects coming: Perry Jones and Dragan Sekelja. Sadler is not getting players that will lead to success.

It is not like there is a revolving door either- Drew is doing a good job of running a program from the standpoint of getting quality kids and graduating them. Sadler seems to turnover his roster much more frequently.

I think Sadler is a great x and o guy. Maybe one of the top 3 in the conference. But if you are considering the whole package, any objective person (which I am not but I think I can use common sense) would give the nod to Drew.

Last edited:
Obi was not a McDonald's All American.

So abd how did you expect OSU to fare last season? Most Sooners that I know expected far less than a NCAA tournament bid.

I am going to take exception with all who rated Sadler higher than Drew. The question by BigTime was to rank the big 12 coaches in terms of results, x and o, recruiting, running a program, etc...

Doc's record at Nebraska:

2006–2007 Nebraska 17-14 6-10 8th
2007–2008 Nebraska 20-12 7-9 7th NIT 2nd Round
2008–2009 Nebraska 18-13 8-8 8th NIT 1st Round

Drew's record at Baylor:

2003–2004 Baylor 8-21 3-13 11th —
2004–2005 Baylor 9-19 1-15 12th —
2005–2006 Baylor 4-13 4-12 12th —
2006–2007 Baylor 15-16 4-12 11th —
2007–2008 Baylor 21-11 9-7 T–4th NCAA First Round
2008–2009 Baylor 24-15 5-11 9th NIT Runner-up

Obviously Drew's first 3 years at Baylor were as tough a situation as anyone has ever inherited. Your 3 best players (Taylor, Lucas, Roberts) have immediate eligibility at other schools. You are playing 5 walk-ons regularly.

So comparing the last three years to Doc's three years is a fair comparison. Results are pretty much a wash, wouldn't you agree?

Now, I think objectively you have to say the South is tougher than the North and give Drew a slight edge there.

Drew versus Sadler recruiting- no comparison. The future is bright for Baylor because of talent inflow- 8 top 100 national players currently on their roster. And two 5-star prospects coming: Perry Jones and Dragan Sekelja. Sadler is not getting players that will lead to success.

I think Sadler is a great x and o guy. Maybe one of the top 3 in the conference. But if you are considering the whole package, any objective person (which I am not but I think I can use common sense) would give the nod to Drew.

Recruiting is much easier for Scott Drew than it is for Doc. Not because Doc cant recruit, but because all of his players are nowhere near Nebraska. Doc has no base, and Scott Drew has the best recruiting base in the country.

Nebraska Roster
Eshaunte Jones- Indiana
Myles Holley- Virginia
Brandon Richardson- California
Sek Henry- California
Chris Niemann- Germany
Rayes Gallegos- Utah
Brian Diaz- Puerto Rico
Quincy Hankins- New York
Toney Mccray- Texas
Lance Jeter- Pennsylvania
Ryan Anderson- Washington
Christian Standhardinger- Germany

Baylor Roster
Curtis Jerrells- Texas
Henry Dugat- Texas
Quincy Acy- Texas
Anthony Jones- Texas
Kevin Rogers- Texas
Nolan Dennis- Texas
Cory Jefferson- Texas
Josh Lomers- Texas
Ekpe Udoh- Oklahoma
AJ Walton- Arkansas
Dragan Sekelja- Europe
Lace Dunn- Louisiana
Tweety Carter- Louisiana
Givon Crump- New Hampshire
Mark Mclaughlin- Washington

So abd how did you expect OSU to fare last season? Most Sooners that I know expected far less than a NCAA tournament bid.

But was a Jordan Brand All-Star game participant, which is becoming as prestigious as a Burger Boy.

Oh, my bad, he was just a 5-star recruit and a Jordans All-American.

I dont really know what to expect from OSU this year... I think the loss of Eaton will hurt more than people think, but they have experienced players with Anderson, Obi, Page, Moses, and Sidorakis. If somebody steps up at point guard and Torin Walker can defend and rebound well they could have a 4th or 5th place type year. If it is shaky they could finish .500 (or within a game of .500) in the Big 12.

Last edited:
James Anderson, Byron Eaton, and Obi Muonelo.

It wasnt impressive at all... They had the best guards in the Big 12.

I guess you think that having the best guards in the Big 12 had nothing to do with the presence of Ford? Remember, Harris wasn't even on the team and Eaton was extremely overweight when Ford arrived. Getting Byron Eaton to a decent playing weight was impressive. Remember, Eaton showed up for the summer workouts around 240, and got down to 205ish when the season began. It was something Sutton could never do.

Ford also gets all the credit for the development of Marshall Moses. Moses played sparingly under Sutton and had a horrible attitude. Ford comes in, gets Moses to turn his attitude around, and changed Moses from a guy who was playing mop-up minutes to a guy who was a legitimate double-double threat each game at the end of the season.

Ford took a team who had never been to the NCAA Tournament and had a losing mentality to the 2nd round of the NCAA's. I think he is due a little credit.

And I agree about the loss of Eaton. Just don't see how any of the freshmen can pick up where he left off....I'm thinking it will be a PG by committee type deal. Gulley has the size and is the best defender, Dowell has the athleticism, and Penn is the JLIII type scoring PG. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
I would certainly want to recruit from Waco versus Lincoln, but there are plenty of teams that have developed powerhouses without close proximity to the talent centers- Iowa State and Oklahoma State a few years back comes to mind.

Certainly Nebraska has better fan support and tradition than Baylor basketball.

Nebraska has 5 NCAA appearances and 16 NIT appearances since 1965.

Baylor has 2 NCAA appearances and 4 NIT appearances since 1965.

I don't think you should give Sadler a pass for his location. If you can recruit, you learn how to maximize your strengths as selling points and scoff at your weaknesses.

Last edited:
I guess you think that having the best guards in the Big 12 had nothing to do with the presence of Ford?

He didnt recruit any of them. Not one.

Remember, Eaton showed up for the summer workouts around 240, and got down to 205ish when the season began.

Eaton made that decision for himself....

Ford also gets all the credit for the development of Marshall Moses. Moses played sparingly under Sutton and had a horrible attitude. Ford comes in, gets Moses to turn his attitude around, and changed Moses from a guy who was playing mop-up minutes to a guy who was a legitimate double-double threat each game at the end of the season.

Yea, he told Moses to transfer or get better and Moses got better.

Mike Anderson
-Mike Anderson is 2-1 vs. Capel
-has a Big 12 Championship
-Selected to coach for the American U19 team
-Broke a school record with 31 wins last year
-Named Conference USA Coach of the Year at UAB
-Should have been Big 12 Coach of the Year last year (how does he not win it?)

Jeff Capel
-1-2 vs. Mike Anderson
-No Big 12 Championships
-Not selected to coach American team
-Never named coach of the year

I think Jeff is a great coach and an outstanding recruiter, but he has to do some of the things that Mike has done in order to be better. I can tjust say that he is better because he coaches OU or because I like him as a person, or even that I like the direction he is taking the program.

Fair enough, I can't argue past history between the two, but for my money I want Capel. He is young, energetic and it seems like recruits love him. I know I would put my trust in Capel for the programs future way before I would Anderson.

Last edited:
He didnt recruit any of them. Not one.

Was OSU's backcourt ever considered the best in the Big XII before Ford got there? No. He took these players that he DIDN'T recruit, installed an entirely different system, and made them "the best backcourt in the Big XII". Were any of OSU's guards considered the best at anything before Ford got there? Eaton could eat a cheeseburger faster than anyone, but that's about it. Ford might not have recruited them, but he got them to realize and play to their potential. With this line of thinking, Capel shouldn't get any credit for the development of Longar Longar, since he didn't recruit him.

Eaton made that decision for himself....

No he didn't. As soon as Ford saw him he told Eaton to lose the weight or sit on the bench, and Eaton finally got serious about his fitness.

Yea, he told Moses to transfer or get better and Moses got better.

All of which started with Moses' attitude, which was a direct result of Ford getting Moses to realize the opportunity he had in front of him. You're right, he did get better. I guess Ford gets no credit for that either?

Last edited:
haha at aggies trying to act like Ford didn't start with some amazing talent. I bet Capel wishes he would have started his job at OU with that kind of talent.

abd,

I think you are focusing too much on what some of these guys did outside of the Big 12. I know that is fair game as I didn't say otherwise in my thread, but I would still take Saddler over Bzdelik. Fan support is pretty overrated. Look what Kelvin did for years with piss poor fan support (worse than what Nebraska has now).

1.) Bill Self- Yeah
2.) Rick Barnes- He's next
3.) Mike Anderson- Just a whisker above Capel because of career accomplishments... I expect him to lose his spot within a couple of years to
4.) Jeff Capel- who is as up-and-coming as they get

Huge gap

5.) Frank Martin- Recruiter and apparently not a bad coach.
6.) Scott Drew- Recruiter extraordinaire. Not a great coach otherwise.

gap

7.) Travis Ford- Just getting things going, but it looks like he can coach. I don't like him much, though.
8.) Mark Turgeon- Seems to recruit okay, but not the coach Gillespie was.
9.) Doc Sadler- Solid coach, making some noise with Nebraska.
10.) Jeff Bzdelik- A very good x's and o's coach. Shouldn't have settled for the CU job...
11.) Greg Mcdermott- Rather blah.

gap

12.) Pat Knight- He gets fired after this year.

1.) Bill Self- Yeah
2.) Rick Barnes- He's next
3.) Mike Anderson- Just a whisker above Capel because of career accomplishments... I expect him to lose his spot within a couple of years to
4.) Jeff Capel- who is as up-and-coming as they get

Huge gap

5.) Frank Martin- Recruiter and apparently not a bad coach.
6.) Scott Drew- Recruiter extraordinaire. Not a great coach otherwise.

gap

7.) Travis Ford- Just getting things going, but it looks like he can coach. I don't like him much, though.
8.) Mark Turgeon- Seems to recruit okay, but not the coach Gillespie was.
9.) Doc Sadler- Solid coach, making some noise with Nebraska.
10.) Jeff Bzdelik- A very good x's and o's coach. Shouldn't have settled for the CU job...
11.) Greg Mcdermott- Rather blah.

gap

12.) Pat Knight- He gets fired after this year.

Not bad, mok!

Back