Rank the top 5 point guard recruits coming into the Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
1.) Tommy Mason-Griffin (5'10'' 206)- OKLAHOMA
-Selected as a Mcdonalds All-American. 2008 Houston Chronicle All-Greater Houston Postseason Boys' Basketball Player of the Year. Chose Oklahoma over Texas and Baylor. Highest rated point guard recruit coming into the Big 12 this year.

2.) Elijah Johnson (6'2'' 183)- KANSAS
-A first team all-state selection in 2007-08, Johnson (6-2, 183) averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 rebounds and 8.9 assists in guiding Cheyenne High to the Nevada state championship game where it fell to Reno. Johnson is rated at the 27th best player in the 2009 class by Rivals.com and the fifth best point guard.

3.) Chris Colvin (6'2'' 190)- IOWA STATE
-Four star point guard out of Chicago. Won the state championship his senior year. Scout.com ranked him as the 10th-best point guard in 2009. averaged 12.3 ppg and 6.2 assists on one of the best and most balanced prep teams in the nation. named as one of the best players at the 2008 Reebok All-American Camp...coached in high school by Tyrone Slaughter...chose ISU over Kentucky, Marquette, Providence, USC, Washington State, Baylor, Florida State and Illinois.

4.) Lance Jeter (6'3'' 225)-NEBRASKA
-Averaged 15.9 points, 4.5 assists, 5.6 rebounds and two steals while at Polk Junior College in Florida, who went 26-6. Named Suncoast Conference Player of the Year as a sophomore. Jeter, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s athlete of the year in 2005-06, scored 2,243 points as a four-year starter in high school. He averaged 20.4 points his senior year. He chose to play football on scholarship at Cincinnati, but changed his mind to play basketball.

5.) Ray Penn (5'9'' 150)- OKLAHOMA STATE
-Four-star guard according to Rivals.com, and is also rated as the No. 9 point guard in the 2009 class. He chose the Cowboys over offers from Missouri, TCU and Mississippi State. Supposed to be a great shooter, and is very quick.

Last edited:
I think Reger Dowell is going to be the PG at OSU. Penn is a SG. If I had to rank them on Production I would go, TMG, Jeter, Colvin, Johnson, Dowell. If I did it on Talent, I would go Johnson, TMG, Dowell, Colvin, Jeter. Dowell is the wild card. He went for 30 on occasions at Duncanville and other occasions he's been more of a facilitator. He comes in ready to facilitate at OSU due to having to facilitate to Franklin and Williams.

I like your list, abd. I would consider putting Dixon ahead of Penn though.

I didn't feel good about Penn either, but I wasn't sure to put on there ahead of him..

I didn't feel good about Penn either, but I wasn't sure to put on there ahead of him..

A.J. Walton (Baylor) is another candidate, but I am not as high on him as some of the national sites....

What about Avery? Not a point guard?

And how about Jai Lucas? Granted he's a transfer but does that make any less a "recruit" than Jeter of Nebraska?

I'd rank Jai Lucas above Ray Penn and maybe above Jeter and if Avery decided to be a point guard, above all of them.

And then if John Wall comes, we'll rearrange this whole list. If Wall comes they'll be six McDs point guards in the league... a pretty stout number.

Last edited:
Looks about right to me ABD unless what Silli said is true. Jai would have to be on the list and if Avery Bradley is a PG (I thought he was by watching him in the MCDAA game but his scout profile says SG) then he'd have to be #1.

What about Avery? Not a point guard?

And how about Jai Lucas? Granted he's a transfer but does that make any less a "recruit" than Jeter of Nebraska?

I'd rank Jai Lucas above Ray Penn and maybe above Jeter and if Avery decided to be a point guard, above all of them.

And then if John Wall comes, we'll rearrange this whole list. If Wall comes they'll be six McDs point guards in the league... a pretty stout number.

I forgot about Jai. He would be up there. Avery is a great option as well and is every bit of a PG if people are going to consider EJ as one.

I think Fred Gulley goes a head of Penn. Gatorade Player of the year in arkansas in consecutive years is impressive.

I don't keep up with much of the big 12's recruiting. Sounds like Iowa state nabbed a pretty good player.

Reading all of this makes you think the big 12 is going to be playing much faster in the coming years.

Eight of the top 30 pgs will be coming to the big12. That's not even including Fred Gulley. OSU has 2 of the top 30 prospects alone, not including Gulley.

Eight of the top 30 pgs will be coming to the big12. That's not even including Fred Gulley. OSU has 2 of the top 30 prospects alone, not including Gulley.

I think Nebraska got a good one with Jeter too... I imagine he will be very productive right away as well, because Cookie Miller transferred a week after they signed him. He was impressive in high school and juco, and is a great athlete and is 6'3'' 225.

I like your list, abd. I would consider putting Dixon ahead of Penn though.

I concur.

I'd also put him above Jeter, but mostly because Jeter signed with Doc Sadler and I'll believe Doc Sadler can recruit when I see it.

Tough to really figure how much he'll play. About 24 minutes per game graduated with Lawrence and Anderson, Jr. Dixon's minutes will come from that.

I figure about six or seven of those minutes will go to Kim English. He'll step into Lawrence's starting spot and will probably play about as much as Lawrence did.

A few more will probably go to Marcus Denmon. He was Mizzou's first guy off the bench and will probably increase his role as sixth man.

Miguel Paul is the only other guard on the roster. He played about 11 minutes per game last year. He's a point guardish type of player who will compete with Dixon for minutes. My personal belief is that he will slide over to the 2 and Dixon will play the point when the reserves are in, but at this point it isn't a widely held view (but a lot of Mizzou fans are still struggling with Anderson's concept of maximizing speed).

Assuming Paul stays around 11 minutes per game, I'd say Dixon takes up all the rest, somewhere between 10-15 minutes. I could also see a scenario where seniors Zaire Taylor and JT Tiller actually play fewer minutes, giving Dixon and Paul a little more time, so the starters will be more rested at the end of games.

Dixon won't play as much as some of the other incoming point guards. Over the course of his college career, though, I feel pretty good about where he'll rank in this class.

Back