Realistic Final Targets for 2018 class

atlantasooner

Reaction score
OU has one ship to use?
Bienemy provides even more depth at the combo guard wing positions. Pretty much able to play all 3.
It seems.

So an athletic 4-5 player is probably on the wish list?

A year from now, with 8 upperclassmen, the 2018-19 OU team will be loaded with maturity and experience. Given the makeup of the roster next season, the 2018 recruiting class will be small, with a class size of 2 likely. So at this point, OU has one scholarship left to offer in the 2018 class.

It will be interesting to see which recruit emerges as the top target.

(Assumes that No One Redshirts in 2017-18)

Seniors (4)
> Rashard Odomes (6-6, 212, G) … Copperas Cove, TX
> Jamuni McNeace (6-10, 215, C) … Allen, Texas / Kankakee, Illinois
> Christian James (6-4, 218, G) … Houston, TX / Bellaire HS
> Ty Lazenby (6-5, 210, G) … Northern Oklahoma Juco / Glencoe, Oklahoma

Juniors (4)
> Kameron McGusty (6-5, 191, G) … Katy, Texas / Sunrise Christian Academy, Kansas
> Kristian Doolittle (6-7, 236, F) ... Edmond, OK (Memorial High School)
> Jordan Shepherd (6-2, 180, G) … Asheville, North Carolina
> Matt Freeman (6-10, 224, F) … Auckland, New Zealand

Sophomores (3)
> Trae Young (6-2, 170, PG) … Norman, Oklahoma (North High School)
> Brady Manek (6-9, 215, F) … Harrah, Oklahoma
> Hannes Pöllä (6-11, 265, C) … Lahti, Finland (Helsinki Basketball Academy)

Freshmen (1 .. so far)
> Jamal Bieniemy (6-3; 170; G) ... Katy, Texas

I really don't like only having 1 ship left (if lazenby doesn't play much this year maybe he'll look somewhere to play more minutes as a sr), but on the other hand it could allow us to really focus hard on a very small number of recruits and let us really prioritize them.

Biememy seems to be a steal at this point. Keeping him will be an ongoing battle imo

Read on another site yesterday that Cunningham has eliminated OU and will likely sign with Texas.

I neglected to mention that I have no inside information, connections to the program, or info obtained from any other site.

So there's no clear candidate for the remaining ship??
Cunningham seemed like too much of a tweener to me. I'd like to see a Lattin/McNease type developmental big man signed if possible.

No inside here but it seems K Moore and grimes are long shots right now. But one may think they would take the best grad transfer to help the team make a final 4 run for the following year.

Things have shifted more to future classes, so makes me think they are in on someone we aren't aware or it's a wait and see what we need to make that splash the following year

All the focus seems to be on 2019/2020. Does make you wonder if they have a 2018 person lined up.

or are going to wait on the transfer market.

Grad transfer or a late bloomer is my best guess.

Lattin is the only Senior this year and since we are in on several big time regional recruits for 19 and 20 it makes sense to conserve the scholarship unless it is a grad transfer or a big time recruit/transfer.

Also, if the last scholly goes unused or to a grad transfer, then bringing Lazenby onboard cannot have been a waste. I was one of those initially disappointed about Lazenby. I thought there were bigger fish, but I guess not.

I saw on instagram today that Quentin Grimes posted his top 7, but we didn't make the cut. Texas, Kansas and Baylor did though.

Someone will probably leave after this year. There's no way everyone can be happy with their playing time and future outlook.

I saw on instagram today that Quentin Grimes posted his top 7, but we didn't make the cut. Texas, Kansas and Baylor did though.

I never thought we were in it with Grimes. Bienemy may prove to be better in the long run..... I really like him.

Is Bienemy solid or are there any fears that any blues may come knocking?

Dang!! I still assume they will get a quality big man with the other 2018 scholarship.

My reaction exactly when I read the blip about Cunningham. I was hoping he would pick OU. Looks like his former Longhorn father won out in the end.

Back