Recalling some fantastic finishes seen in person

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
The game-ending drama the other day in OKC reminded me that I haven't seen OU lose many of those games where the other team had a last-second shot to win (curses to Mitch Richmond and Marcus Foster for spoiling that status). I started thinking back about the ones I've seen in person where OU did win those games. Living out of state for many of the last 40 years after graduation, I missed out on a few of those finishes in person. I also researched a few of them to fill in some of the "blanks." Here goes (the ones I've seen in person):

- 1977 - OU 64, KSU 63 (at LNC). Overcame a turnover and missed FT in the final 20 seconds. Larry Dassie missed a runner at the horn. Still relieved that Mike Evans never touched it on the final possession. John McCullough was downright heroic.
- 1977 - OU 66, Mizzou 63. Miracle rally for its era (down five with 1:50 left). Kim Anderson missed from the "elbow" with 0:01 left and OU sealed it with two FT's by Cary Carrabine. That was the most important two-game stretch in the early days of LNC's history.
- 1987 - OU 89, UNLV 88. Still the greatest game at the LNC ever, in my book. Choo Kennedy scored with 12 seconds left and OU somehow dodged two bullets in the lane (including a missed follow-slam by Jarvis Basnight).
- 2016 - OU 70, West Virginia 68. Ascending to No. 1 on a tip by Khadeem Lattin and a heads-up play by Buddy Hield to tip the WVU in-bounds pass enough to prevent a decent look.
- 2018 - OU 98, Baylor 96. Trae Young scored 44, but OU had to dodge two bullets in the final five seconds. Jake Lindsey of BU missed the front end of a one-and-one, and after a freebie by Rashard Odomes to make it 98-96, King McClure missed at the buzzer.
- 2001 - OU 88, Arkansas 79 (OT). Can't say I remember who shot last for Arkansas in regulation, but I do remember that OU came back from the dead. Arkie had an eight point lead going into the final minute, then Hollis Price and Aaron McGhee hit key shots to get the game into OT.
- 2020 - OU 63, Mississippi State 62. Brady Manek and Alondes Williams did just enough to keep OU ahead in the final minutes. Robert Woodard of MSU missed from about the same spot on the Chesapeake court where Mizzou's Anderson did 43 years earlier at the LNC.

Some of the ones I didn't see live but enjoyed include: the 2015 OU-KU game in Norman (tip-in by Hield), the 2006 Bedlam game (made famous for the Sutton Jr. Fish Flop), and the Crocker Miracle finish against Baylor in 2008.

A couple I remember watching on TV. I remember watching the one in Austin in the late 90s. Had to be 1999 where we came back to win in their court. The Kansas game in 95 was amazing with Ambercrombie hitting a late jumper in the final minute.

A couple I remember watching on TV. I remember watching the one in Austin in the late 90s. Had to be 1999 where we came back to win in their court. The Kansas game in 95 was amazing with Ambercrombie hitting a late jumper in the final minute.

If my memory is correct, the Texas game you are referring to was in '99 when Michael Johnson hit a turn-around game winner. I was watching with friends at a bar back when I lived in OKC at the time. That was a fun game....lots of partaking afterwards.

Another fun game was later that season when OU beat Zona in the 1st round of the NCAAs....that was a good finish as well.

1985 Sweet 16
OU vs La Tech (Karl Malone)
Choo Kennedy and Daryl Johnson fouled out. OU did not play its 7th player until 18 seconds left in OT. Wayman hit a shot that bounced around the rim FOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEVEEEEEER until it dropped with 2 seconds left to break the tie and win the game.

Hollis beating the buzzer with a little help from a friendly clock to send the Texas Tech game into OT in 2003, where the good guys prevailed. Made for a happy Bob Knight lol.

If my memory is correct, the Texas game you are referring to was in '99 when Michael Johnson hit a turn-around game winner. I was watching with friends at a bar back when I lived in OKC at the time. That was a fun game....lots of partaking afterwards.

Another fun game was later that season when OU beat Zona in the 1st round of the NCAAs....that was a good finish as well.

I was working at a bank in Albuquerque that day and took my mid-afternoon break just in time to catch the ending on my Watchman. I about rolled around on the floor laughing at the finish. For one thing, most people in Albuquerque hated Arizona basketball about as much as OU football fans hate UT (and for similar reasons). And another was that a local kid from there who spurned the Lobos for UofA was one of the goats in that game.

I also despised Lute Olson and his phony goody-two-shoes image the way most of us dislike the phony KU "program of saints" image from the 70's and 80's.

Hollis beating the buzzer with a little help from a friendly clock to send the Texas Tech game into OT in 2003, where the good guys prevailed. Made for a happy Bob Knight lol.

The problem is the clock messed up the entire last like 2 minutes or so.

The Ryan Humphrey tip in which could have easily been called goal tending but the picture in the paper the next day showed clearly it was a good call. How can I forget that.

1983 in Stoolwater. David Little. Never heard an arena go so quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last regular season game in 85 Georgia Tech with Mark Price. Won by 6 but in big hole down the stretch till the GT bigs started fouling out. A national tv Sunday game. We played a road game the day before.

Tony Crocker's Baylor game had to be top 5 for me. The 4 point play, the two missed free throws at the end by a guy that shot 80%+. Never heard 5,000 people be so loud.

Drew Lavender in Manhattan.. Didn't he have a game winner and a huge game that day??

2016 - Buddy as the decoy and Cousins with the jumper to take down LSU on the road! That was awesome!

Tony Crocker's Baylor game had to be top 5 for me. The 4 point play, the two missed free throws at the end by a guy that shot 80%+. Never heard 5,000 people be so loud.
^^ This one! Other games have been improbable, but that one felt downright impossible even seeing it happen on TV.

Sadly, two of the last second wins I've seen in person came vs. far inferior teams: UCF this year and Northern Colorado in 2009-10. OU led NC by 8 with 36 seconds left but it took Cade Davis's steal with 5 seconds left to preserve a 1-point win.

I also have the painful memory of Iowa State hitting clutch shot after clutch shot to win in 2OT in Norman in 2017. Ugh. But maybe balanced by Manek's shot to beat Kansas the next year.

That was one I had forgotten about. KSU was below average that year and we were pretty good....and it continues to show what a hard time we've had playing in that "house of horrors".

And I think I caught a Pervis Pasco sighting as well.:D
imgres

That was super fun. I was sitting near the Baylor bench and one of their scrubs was mockingly turning to the crowd and waving his arms to get loud for those missed free throws. I've never seen such beautiful instant karma.

Our OT win in Manhattan in 2001 was also incredible. We successfully pulled off the "intentionally miss a free throw down by two and score on a putback" at the end of regulation, then finished off the Cats in the extra session. Was at that game and couldn't believe I saw it work in person.

I wasn’t at that game or it might have been at the top of my list. I remember watching on TV and thinking that might have been the most improbable finish I could recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back