Records aside - Big 12's best teams?

coolm

Reaction score
Based on play alone ... it would appear the Big-12 looks like this:

1. WVU - with Carter and Konate they are tough. I agree with others who say their game wont translate as well to the NCAAs, but for conference play they are a monster right now.

2. Kansas - I give them an edge over others because they are a better combo of defense and tough and offense. They lack frontcourt depth with Preston still not clear and that may change soon. But for now they have a vulnerability.

3. OU - if they can mix it up and play defense like they did last night then their ceiling is much higher. With Doolittle working his way in and Lattin making a mark, Trae's offensive game doesn't have to stand alone. Hopefully Brady will learn to play thru a little physical play and get back in the groove.

4. Texas Tech - tough and disciplined. These guys are a tough out every night. Very impressed with what Beard has done.

5. TCU - neck and neck with OU and Tech both.

6. Baylor/Texas

8. KState

9. OSUx

10. ISU

agree with it....

ku has shown some vulnerability...tied with isu in 2nd half?

OU - Doolittle will replace Manek here in a bit as a starter, IMHO

I haven't seen much of Baylor or KState this year, so I would agree with M's list as well. Watching ISU take KU to the last minute of the game in Lawrence is a testimony how the Big XII is the toughest conference top to bottom. It looks like the conference champion could have 5-6 losses. But it is still early to tell.

agree with it....

ku has shown some vulnerability...tied with isu in 2nd half?

OU - Doolittle will replace Manek here in a bit as a starter, IMHO

sadly I agree with you about Brady. I am really saddened by his shrinking violet routine, but it is what it is. He's a skinny freshman who isn't used to being bodied up and down the court. He's also very talented and once he builds a little weight and gets his confidence back he will undoubtedly snap back. Being a role player as a spot-up shooter probably takes better advantage of what he can still offer while giving him some space to grow and mature.

Tier 1 - WV (most complete team and just slightly ahead of the teams below)
Tier 2 - KU, OU, and Tech
Tier 3 - TCU and Baylor
Tier 4 - K-State and Texas
Tier 5 - osu and ISU

If KU does get Preston eligible, they will make a run at WV....unfortunately.

TCU hasn't been able to win close games at home, but they did win at Baylor.

I've been hard on Baylor in a couple of threads, but they finally got some players back/healthy and may start trending upward.

K-State is the team (I believe) that could be the Big XII's 7th at large team. Texas doesn't look like they will be getting Jones back this year....and thus, their offense is likely to remain abysmal. They will fight KSU for 7th.

WVU
OU
KU

TCU
Tech

Baylor, Texas - I literally haven't seen them

K-State, OSU - Monster game tonight (As an OSU fan yes it is a monster game and vital to any post season hopes of any kind)

ISU

Going to be fun... Every night

Last edited:
Tier 1 - WV (most complete team and just slightly ahead of the teams below)
Tier 2 - KU, OU, and Tech
Tier 3 - TCU and Baylor
Tier 4 - K-State and Texas
Tier 5 - osu and ISU

If KU does get Preston eligible, they will make a run at WV....unfortunately.

TCU hasn't been able to win close games at home, but they did win at Baylor.

I've been hard on Baylor in a couple of threads, but they finally got some players back/healthy and may start trending upward.

K-State is the team (I believe) that could be the Big XII's 7th at large team. Texas doesn't look like they will be getting Jones back this year....and thus, their offense is likely to remain abysmal. They will fight KSU for 7th.

Can they get him back? I have no doubt they will at some point, they need to lose a couple without him.

Man I hope Doolittle doesn't replace Manek...yet. Manek has shown flashes and I think needs to be allowed to ripen. I've always loved Doolittle, but man he just doesn't seem to want to score that much. Do I think he can? Yes. Just don't think he has a scorer's mentality. Manek can fill it up in bunches. Looking forward to Manek busting out again soon. Doolittle is starting to do more and more, hope he continues. Lots of minutes last night, great to see him back!

Can they get him back? I have no doubt they will at some point, they need to lose a couple without him.

they turned in the paperwork requested by the NCAA on December 26th and they are waiting for a word back yet. Even when/if that word does come he will take some time to get back up to speed.

Man I hope Doolittle doesn't replace Manek...yet. Manek has shown flashes and I think needs to be allowed to ripen. I've always loved Doolittle, but man he just doesn't seem to want to score that much. Do I think he can? Yes. Just don't think he has a scorer's mentality. Manek can fill it up in bunches. Looking forward to Manek busting out again soon. Doolittle is starting to do more and more, hope he continues. Lots of minutes last night, great to see him back!

Yeah I think Lon will go with the most minutes to a combo of who has the hot hand and matchups... that’s the beauty of this team and it’s depth. But I’m with you, we’re a much better team when Brady is hitting...

they turned in the paperwork requested by the NCAA on December 26th and they are waiting for a word back yet. Even when/if that word does come he will take some time to get back up to speed.

Yep....word is that the decision could come down any day now. It will take some games to get him acclimated, but he immediately helps their depth in the post....which is their biggest weakness right now. Having said that, I would prefer he became eligible after the 23rd.;)

I’m not sold on WVU being better than the rest

funny...was talking to ku fan, lady, we were discussing Preston....

Her - "I know BSelf is a 'do the right thing' guy so he won't play Preston until it's 100% ok that he can"...

I about spit up my drink...

I will add about Manek, I love the kid...it just seems the last few games Doo has gotten more time, seems able to handle the physical play better...Doo definitely needs to get in the groove better...being out for a semester...but I think LK would go with Doo vs Manek for most of the night.

But like one said..maybe who ever had the hot hand plays more.

I think OU is the best team and will win the conference. The game in Huntington was always going to be nonsense.

He’s just throwing some passive-aggressive shade!

With Doolittle back in the fold, I believe we have the best roster. People look at our record last season and believe this season is all TY. Actually OU was leading or within reach of winning every game in the second half except for a couple last season. The amount of games that we choked away in the waning minutes was close to double digits. TY has gotten us over that hump, and we are going to win the conference!

If we are putting records aside, I don't understand how KU would be above OU on any list. Our team is much deeper and....Trae.

Back