Recruiting Rankings and Future Success

DFWHoopster

Reaction score
It is not an exact science. But one of the best predictors of success in the W-L column is success on the recruiting trail. I have long held a theory that coaches who recruit well are often overrated in terms of their actual coaching ability. Dean Smith is the prime example to me- I personally was underwhelmed by him.

I watched his talent underachieve for years. You know the old joke: Who is the only guy that could hold Michael Jordan to less than 20 points? Dean Smith.

Yet the guy is revered as the ding-dong daddy of college coaches because he could recruit better than anyone in the country. Recruiting is #1, #2 and #3 in terms of importance in being a good college coach.

If you look at the RSCI rankings for the last four years in terms of getting top 100 players nationally, it tells a lot. Here is how the big 12 stacks up along with recently graduated players- I have not included the top 100 players who signed with a big 12 team and transferred (UT and KU have a bunch) or those who academically failed (Keith Clark, Karron Johnson, etc..):

Kansas

Sherron Collins (14)- Sr
Cole Aldrich (21)- Jr
Tyrel Reed (59)- Jr
Marcus Morris (63)- Soph
Markeiff Morris (67)- Soph
Travis Releford (49)- Soph
Tyshawn Taylor (73)- Soph
Jeff Withey (27)- Soph
Thomas Robinson (28)- Fr
Elijah Johnson (25)- Fr
Xavier Henry (6)- Fr

Recent Departures:

Julian Wright (6)
Mario Chalmers (8)
Brandon Rush (23)
Darrell Arthur (11)
Russell Robinson (31)
Sasha Kaun (43)
Darnell Jackson (68)

Texas

Damion James (15)- Sr
Dexter Pittman (82)- Sr
Clint Chapman (75)- Jr
Gary Johnson (25)- Jr
Jai Lucas (32)- Soph
Avery Bradley (4)- Fr
Jordan Hamilton (22)- Fr
Shawn Williams (55)- Fr
J'Covan Brown (59)- Fr

Recent Departures:

AJ Abrams (83)
Kevin Durant (2)
DJ Augustin (29)
Lamarcus Aldridge (12)
Daniel Gibson (19)

Oklahoma

Willie Warren (13)- Soph
Andrew Fitzgerald (81)- Fr
Tiny Gallon (10)- Fr
Tommy Mason-Griffin (30)- Fr

Recent Departures:

Austin Johnson (96)
Blake Griffin (16)
Longar Longar (97)

Kansas State

Dominique Sutton (81)- Jr
Wally Judge (15)- Fr

Recent Departures:

Michael Beasley (4)
Bill Walker (52)

Oklahoma State

Obi Muonelo (35)- Sr
James Anderson (33)- Jr
Roger Franklin (71)- Fr
Raymond Penn (51)- Fr

Recent Departures:

Byron Eaton (20)
Terrel Harris (66)
Jameson Curry (53)

Baylor

Tweety Carter (69)- Sr
Lace Dunn (37)- Jr
Quincy Acy (75)- Soph
Anthony Jones (40)- Soph
Cory Jefferson (92)- Fr
Nolan Dennis (41)- Fr

Recent Departure:

Kevin Rogers (55)

Texas A&M

Donald Sloan (90)- Sr
Bryan Davis (63)- Sr
Dash Harris (91)- Soph
David Loubeau (82)- Soph
Khris Middleton (99)- Fr

Recent Departure:

DeAndre Jordan (15)

Iowa State

Craig Brackins (51)- Jr
Chris Colvin (97)- Fr

Recent Departure:

Rashon Clark (94)

Missouri

No one ranked

Recent Departures:

Jason Horton (45)
Marshall Brown (47)
Kalen Grimes (63)

Texas Tech

No one ranked

Nebraska

No one ranked

Colorado

No one ranked

What conclusions do I draw?

1. Mike Anderson is one hell of a coach. He does more with less than any coach in the league. All of the top 100 departed players were Quin's recruits. But Missouri will be hard pressed to stay on the top of this league without greater recruiting success.

2. We probably overrate Self and Barnes as tacticians. The fact is those guys have had much better talent than anyone else. They should win more than any other team even when they have guys leave early. The talent level is superior.

3. Jeff Capel is very underrated based on the results achieved and the expectations would be that he will deliver even better success in the future with the caliber of recruits that he is landing.

4. The knock on Drew being a poor coach is unfair. He has had only one top 100 player go through his program (Rogers). He has achieved what you would expect with most of his talent younger and coming into prime the next 2 years.

5. Very few top notch big 12 players are absent from the above list. Of the 1st and 2nd team all big 12, only Carroll (Missouri) and Clemente (K State) were absent from the top 100 recruiting lists. The year before only Jerrells (Baylor) and Maric (Nebraska) were absent from the lists.

Recruiting is #1, #2 and #3 in terms of importance in being a good college coach.
100% totally agree.

1. Mike Anderson is one hell of a coach. He does more with less than any coach in the league.
I don't know about that. He's been in the league 3 years and had one good season. His other two sucked. We'll see this year.

2. We probably overrate Self and Barnes as tacticians. The fact is those guys have had much better talent than anyone else. They should win more than any other team even when they have guys leave early. The talent level is superior.
Most people don't rate Self and Barnes as good tacticians so I don't see how they can be overrated. In fact, I think both are probably underrated. They had success prior to KU & Texas so I think that speaks more to their coaching. More so Self. You don't turn ORU around and take Tulsa to an Elite 8 by not being a good tactician. You won't find a better defensive coach in the country than Bill Self. And I've always respected what Barnes has done at UT. Penders could recruit but couldn't win like Barnes does.

3. Jeff Capel is very underrated based on the results achieved and the expectations would be that he will deliver even better success in the future with the caliber of recruits that he is landing.
Again, I don't think he's underrated because he's given a ton of well deserved props. He's generally considered the 3rd or 4th best coach in the league. If anything he could be put in the Barnes/Self class of being a better recruiter than tactician.

4. The knock on Drew being a poor coach is unfair. He has had only one top 100 player go through his program (Rogers). He has achieved what you would expect with most of his talent younger and coming into prime the next 2 years. I disagree. The talent he's had, whether it was top 100 or not, was far better than the results on the court. Guys like Jerrells, Bruce, Dugat, etc could play. His teams too often are out of control, don't play together and don't play defense. Well coached teams whether they have great talent or not are at least organized. His aren't.

Scott Drew has had as many NCAA Tourney appearances in his 5 years (1), as the previous 50 years of Baylor basketball. Last year, Baylor was the NIT runner-up. Coming into the disaster that Bliss left, he has done a great job at a school that is tough to win at.

Scott Drew has had as many NCAA Tourney appearances in his 5 years (1), as the previous 50 years of Baylor basketball. Last year, Baylor was the NIT runner-up. Coming into the disaster that Bliss left, he has done a great job at a school that is tough to win at.

I agree he has done a great job and I don't think Baylor could do any better. I think he's a great recruiter just not a very good coach on the floor. But it's Baylor so you aren't going to get both so you might as well go with the coach that can recruit. Otherwise you are Nebraska and regardless of how good a coach Doc Sadler is you can't win without talent.

100% totally agree.

1. Mike Anderson is one hell of a coach. He does more with less than any coach in the league.
I don't know about that. He's been in the league 3 years and had one good season. His other two sucked. We'll see this year.

Most people don't rate Self and Barnes as good tacticians so I don't see how they can be overrated. In fact, I think both are probably underrated. They had success prior to KU & Texas so I think that speaks more to their coaching. More so Self. You don't turn ORU around and take Tulsa to an Elite 8 by not being a good tactician. You won't find a better defensive coach in the country than Bill Self. And I've always respected what Barnes has done at UT. Penders could recruit but couldn't win like Barnes does.

Again, I don't think he's underrated because he's given a ton of well deserved props. He's generally considered the 3rd or 4th best coach in the league. If anything he could be put in the Barnes/Self class of being a better recruiter than tactician.

4. The knock on Drew being a poor coach is unfair. He has had only one top 100 player go through his program (Rogers). He has achieved what you would expect with most of his talent younger and coming into prime the next 2 years. I disagree. The talent he's had, whether it was top 100 or not, was far better than the results on the court. Guys like Jerrells, Bruce, Dugat, etc could play. His teams too often are out of control, don't play together and don't play defense. Well coached teams whether they have great talent or not are at least organized. His aren't.

As a Baylor fan, I love the guys you mentioned. As a realist, Jerrells, Bruce and Dugat are a dime a dozen as far as talent is concerned. And none of those three were rated in the top 100. They are viewed as "talented" because they played early and often. Same is true for a guy like Higgins at Colorado. Put any of those guys at KU or UT and they don't see much if any playing time.

I will grant you the points you make on Self, Barnes and Anderson for that matter. My point is that the recruiting success tends to vastly overrate their abilities. Of course Self and Barnes are great defensive coaches. Just like Calipari. When you have great elite athletes to coach, they make you look like a friggin' genius.

As a Baylor fan, I love the guys you mentioned. As a realist, Jerrells, Bruce and Dugat are a dime a dozen as far as talent is concerned. And none of those three were rated in the top 100. They are viewed as "talented" because they played early and often. Same is true for a guy like Higgins at Colorado. Put any of those guys at KU or UT and they don't see much if any playing time.

See I disagree. Jerrells and Higgins both certainly start at KU or UT last year. Without question.
And Dugat or Bruce are at worst 1st guard off the bench. I have a hard time believing Tyrel Reed was better than Aaron Bruce. Bruce could play.

Last edited:

I will grant you the points you make on Self, Barnes and Anderson for that matter. My point is that the recruiting success tends to vastly overrate their abilities. Of course Self and Barnes are great defensive coaches. Just like Calipari. When you have great elite athletes to coach, they make you look like a friggin' genius.

Dime a dozen? I thought those guys were really good guards at Baylor and match up problems.

I think the kids don't respect drew, they may like him but they don't respect him. They don't play a lick of a defense and seem to have a me first mentality. I think sometimes they let the other team score just so they can get the ball back quicker.

I thought last year, until the last part of the season that Baylor was the worst coached team in a long time. At the end of the year the guards got hot and they finally played like they should have all year.

Dime a dozen? I thought those guys were really good guards at Baylor and match up problems.

I think the kids don't respect drew, they may like him but they don't respect him. They don't play a lick of a defense and seem to have a me first mentality. I think sometimes they let the other team score just so they can get the ball back quicker.

I thought last year, until the last part of the season that Baylor was the worst coached team in a long time. At the end of the year the guards got hot and they finally played like they should have all year.

I really didn't intend for this post to become Baylor focused. I think Baylor had above average guards the last two years. Were they better than OSU? No. Better than OU? No. Better than Kansas? No. Why?

Jerrells 6'0"
Bruce 6'1"
Dugat 5'11"
Carter 5'9"
Dunn 6'4"

They were often playing 3 or 4 of those guys together at the same time. It is hard to win defensively in the big 12 with that combination. Compare to the three schools above:

OSU:

Eaton 5'10"
Muonelo 6'4"
Anderson 6'6"
Harris 6'6"

OU:

Warren 6'3"
Johnson 6'5"
Crocker 6'4"

KU:

Chalmers 6'1"
Robinson 6'1"
Taylor 6'3"
Collins 5'11"

Baylor had lower tier talent in the front court and that is why they played so many guards. They had enough talent to go 8-8 or 9-7 in the league last year so their conference play was a disappointment. But judging the whole body of work (wins against Arizona St, Providence, OSU, Kansas St, A&M, Kansas, UT, Nebraska, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Auburn and San Diego St), the season was not a disaster.

I watched 95% of the Baylor games last year. The difference between them in the preseason, conference and postseason was shooting not defense.

Jerrells, Dugat and Dunn all went cold at the same time in conference. Now Drew should have made adjustments quicker. And he shoulda, coulda, woulda. But like Jeff Van Gundy said many times in the NBA Finals, "It is a make or miss league." You make shots and you look well coached. You miss shots and it is natural for players to slack a little on D or get discouraged.

The kids respect Drew. And they don't have a "me first" mentality. You could say Jerrells for a stretch had that last year. But he righted the ship in the postseason.

I really didn't intend for this post to become Baylor focused. I think Baylor had above average guards the last two years. Were they better than OSU? No. Better than OU? No. Better than Kansas? No. Why?

Jerrells 6'0"
Bruce 6'1"
Dugat 5'11"
Carter 5'9"
Dunn 6'4"

They were often playing 3 or 4 of those guys together at the same time. It is hard to win defensively in the big 12 with that combination. Compare to the three schools above:

OSU:

Eaton 5'10"
Muonelo 6'4"
Anderson 6'6"
Harris 6'6"

OU:

Warren 6'3"
Johnson 6'5"
Crocker 6'4"

KU:

Chalmers 6'1"
Robinson 6'1"
Taylor 6'3"
Collins 5'11"

Baylor had lower tier talent in the front court and that is why they played so many guards. They had enough talent to go 8-8 or 9-7 in the league last year so their conference play was a disappointment. But judging the whole body of work (wins against Arizona St, Providence, OSU, Kansas St, A&M, Kansas, UT, Nebraska, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Auburn and San Diego St), the season was not a disaster.

I watched 95% of the Baylor games last year. The difference between them in the preseason, conference and postseason was shooting not defense.

Jerrells, Dugat and Dunn all went cold at the same time in conference. Now Drew should have made adjustments quicker. And he shoulda, coulda, woulda. But like Jeff Van Gundy said many times in the NBA Finals, "It is a make or miss league." You make shots and you look well coached. You miss shots and it is natural for players to slack a little on D or get discouraged.

The kids respect Drew. And they don't have a "me first" mentality. You could say Jerrells for a stretch had that last year. But he righted the ship in the postseason

First off, for someone that watched 95% of the games, you sure missed a lot of Drew coaching mistakes. His sub patterns, not demanding the offense to run through Rogers, usage of timeouts, and inbounds plays were all suspect and spotty at best.

Secondly, how can you call Lace Dunn a non "me first player"? The guy was the biggest ball hog in the league. He only had 1 (one) assist over a huge chunk of the season last year. In fact the only guard that I would say wasn't a me first guy was Tweety Carter. Poor guy was the only guard that didn't force up shots (sad thing is, he probably should of been the guy doing it with his three point stroke).

Yeah he is respected by the kids. He lets them do whatever they want on the court. I would LOVE to play for Drew if I were a guard. No defense. Get to jack up shots. Don't have to play through the post.

I'll go ahead and say it. Capel has had some huge busts and errors in recruiting evaluation with some of his guys. Tony Neysmith should have been nowhere near a top 150 list far less 90. Same goes for Chris Early. Bobby Maze was thought of very highly, but just hasn't been the type of player he was projected. In 3 years when you have Early, Maze, Neysmith, Cannon, and Pattilo as busts, it keeps your program from acheiving as much as it could. This is 1/3 of his recruiting class.

First off, for someone that watched 95% of the games, you sure missed a lot of Drew coaching mistakes. His sub patterns, not demanding the offense to run through Rogers, usage of timeouts, and inbounds plays were all suspect and spotty at best.

Secondly, how can you call Lace Dunn a non "me first player"? The guy was the biggest ball hog in the league. He only had 1 (one) assist over a huge chunk of the season last year. In fact the only guard that I would say wasn't a me first guy was Tweety Carter. Poor guy was the only guard that didn't force up shots (sad thing is, he probably should of been the guy doing it with his three point stroke).

Yeah he is respected by the kids. He lets them do whatever they want on the court. I would LOVE to play for Drew if I were a guard. No defense. Get to jack up shots. Don't have to play through the post.

Big Time, Big Time... pull up a chair, school is in session.

1. I will concede Drew's sub patterns were poor until the Big 12 tourney and NIT run. His preference for man to man defense left him with a thin bench since Acy/Jones struggled with pick and roll defense as most freshmen do; Lomers and Diene were poor man to man defenders because they were both slow footed. The 2-3 zone was the defense Baylor should have played all year. If he had the season over to utilize that defense in conference, I am sure he would.

2. Rogers is not a guy to run your offense through. He did well on alley oops and offensive rebounding. He and Jerrells played pick and roll pretty well. But he gives the laziest post up. When you threw the ball in to Rogers one of three things usually happened: the ball was deflected because Rogers wouldn't give a good target (Gary Johnson is terrific at giving a wide base); or Rogers jacked up a fadeaway; or he turned the ball over. Ball security was not one of Rogers' strong suits. If you had watched Baylor as much as I did, you wouldn't have said such a silly thing.

3. Using timeouts is very subjective- how could we debate that point for any coach?

4. Drew had the highest percentage of point conversions off of inbounds plays of any team in the big 12. That was a major strength for Baylor. I realize that you were just pulling stuff out of your butt, so I give you a pass on that one.

I won't air any dirty laundry about Baylor here or any internet message board for that matter. There was some strife in the locker room for a stretch as there always is when you have a long losing streak. Drew's personality is one of unbridled optimism, positivity and encouragement.

Part of growing as a coach is the need to be a hard ass when it is required of him to be so. He also needs to give refs like JB Chambliss and John Higgins a good ass chewing from time to time to alleviate their lovefests of KU and UT. I think Drew only drew (yes I did) one tech all year and that was in the NIT Final when he took his coat off and was given a tech by an overzealous ref.

I know you just post drivel like this to get a rise out of me and I am cool with that. Your respect for Drew will grow in due time my friend.

2. Rogers is not a guy to run your offense through. He did well on alley oops and offensive rebounding. He and Jerrells played pick and roll pretty well. But he gives the laziest post up.

i'm probably the biggest defender of drew's offensive coaching you'll find (outside of yourself). his teams are extremely efficient, and do an incredible job of using the 3 as a strategic weapon. but, do you not think that just perhaps, rogers presents a lazy target because he knows he has no hope of getting the ball?

it's a rare big who'll post hard for more than 5-6 trips up the court without a touch. asking a guy to do it for 4 years is a little over the top.

i'm probably the biggest defender of drew's offensive coaching you'll find (outside of yourself). his teams are extremely efficient, and do an incredible job of using the 3 as a strategic weapon. but, do you not think that just perhaps, rogers presents a lazy target because he knows he has no hope of getting the ball?

it's a rare big who'll post hard for more than 5-6 trips up the court without a touch. asking a guy to do it for 4 years is a little over the top.

Agreed.

I'll go ahead and say it. Capel has had some huge busts and errors in recruiting evaluation with some of his guys. Tony Neysmith should have been nowhere near a top 150 list far less 90. Same goes for Chris Early. Bobby Maze was thought of very highly, but just hasn't been the type of player he was projected. In 3 years when you have Early, Maze, Neysmith, Cannon, and Pattilo as busts, it keeps your program from acheiving as much as it could. This is 1/3 of his recruiting class.

I agree, OU has had some busts....

you bring up a very valid point. I did notice Acy and Lomers frustrated at times last year that they had their man pinned and the guards (mainly Lace, Dugat and Jerrells) didn't deliver the post entry pass.

I think Scott Drew was also frustrated by a lack of inside focus and almost every timeout I remember was a set play involving Rogers or Lomers.

The overriding problem with the Bears in my opinion was a few talented guys who had low basketball IQ (Dunn, Jerrells, Dugat and Rogers). Dunn and Jerrells improved in that area in the post-season run. Rogers even showed signs of improvement in making smarter plays. But really there is not much excuse for guys that have played extensively to be exhibiting low basketball IQ as seniors.

This year will be interesting. You have two PGs (Carter and AJ Walton) who are wired to set up the offense versus putting an "And 1" dribbling display around the perimeter. That fact along with Udoh, Acy and Lomers having another year of experience should give Baylor a strong post presence. I am expecting Baylor to be even more efficient on offense because they have such a good combination of inside (names mentioned above) and outside (Carter, Dunn, Dennis, Crump, Anthony Jones, McLaughlin) players.

If Udoh is as good as the Baylor coaches think he will be, then things could really open up for a guy like Dunn and he could have a monster year.

DFW,

I take it Sekelja is not playing in the U19 championships?

If Udoh is as good as the Baylor coaches think he will be, then things could really open up for a guy like Dunn and he could have a monster year.

Udoh will be really good, and Lace Dunn IS going to have a monster year.

DFW,

I take it Sekelja is not playing in the U19 championships?

ABD- he is but I think it is the U18 because he has not turned 19 yet I believe. He will be on Baylor's campus mid August after that is over.

Big Time, Big Time... pull up a chair, school is in session.

haha I love it when you Maryland guys get riled!
1. I will concede Drew's sub patterns were poor until the Big 12 tourney and NIT run. His preference for man to man defense left him with a thin bench since Acy/Jones struggled with pick and roll defense as most freshmen do; Lomers and Diene were poor man to man defenders because they were both slow footed. The 2-3 zone was the defense Baylor should have played all year. If he had the season over to utilize that defense in conference, I am sure he would.

Good concession. I appreciate the honesty.
2. Rogers is not a guy to run your offense through. He did well on alley oops and offensive rebounding. He and Jerrells played pick and roll pretty well. But he gives the laziest post up. When you threw the ball in to Rogers one of three things usually happened: the ball was deflected because Rogers wouldn't give a good target (Gary Johnson is terrific at giving a wide base); or Rogers jacked up a fadeaway; or he turned the ball over. Ball security was not one of Rogers' strong suits. If you had watched Baylor as much as I did, you wouldn't have said such a silly thing.

May have to agree to disagree. He was your best offensive player last year. I think he could have gotten the ball more. I like what sys said about it.

3. Using timeouts is very subjective- how could we debate that point for any coach?

It is a matter of controlling the inmates when they are running the asylum. I just felt that Drew could have settled those ball-hogging guards down better with the to. I watched several conference games where Baylor had a very comfortable lead and watched it whither with dumb turnovers and poor shot selection.

4. Drew had the highest percentage of point conversions off of inbounds plays of any team in the big 12. That was a major strength for Baylor. I realize that you were just pulling stuff out of your butt, so I give you a pass on that one.

haha I guess I watched the wrong games then. IF you would, show me a link with the rankings. Its not that I don't believe you, but I just find it unbelievable. If you are right on this, then my apologies to both you and Scott.

I won't air any dirty laundry about Baylor here or any internet message board for that matter. There was some strife in the locker room for a stretch as there always is when you have a long losing streak. Drew's personality is one of unbridled optimism, positivity and encouragement.

Not an excuse for a guard that handles the ball to only have one dime and a million turnovers and shot attempts. That's on the coach to pull that guy if he is crippling your team like Lace did over that stretch.

Part of growing as a coach is the need to be a hard ass when it is required of him to be so. He also needs to give refs like JB Chambliss and John Higgins a good ass chewing from time to time to alleviate their lovefests of KU and UT. I think Drew only drew (yes I did) one tech all year and that was in the NIT Final when he took his coat off and was given a tech by an overzealous ref.

That was a bs tech in the NIT game btw. I saw Drew chewing on the refs in Norman, so he must be trying to do what you say. I don't believe in the refs favortism as much as you, but yeah, a coach has got to stand up for his team. Capel did it a lot his first year.

I know you just post drivel like this to get a rise out of me and I am cool with that. Your respect for Drew will grow in due time my friend.

I hope so. Tell him to stop the cheating first off. That is the biggest source of my angst. After that, tell him to stop sucking at coaching. And lastly, tell him to stop yelling "box out" when the other team is about to shoot a FT (or while the guy is shooting a ft). That is bush league, and something that I have never seen before.

I will make a deal with you ftw. If Drew gets this team to better than .500 in conference this year (9-7 minimum) then I will personally quit ragging on his coaching. IF he doesn't (Which he won't) then you need to quit blowing Drew smoke up our arses every post and just be a regular old poster (I like your hoops opinions and knowledge). What do you say?

I hope so. Tell him to stop the cheating first off. That is the biggest source of my angst. After that, tell him to stop sucking at coaching. And lastly, tell him to stop yelling "box out" when the other team is about to shoot a FT (or while the guy is shooting a ft). That is bush league, and something that I have never seen before.

I will make a deal with you ftw. If Drew gets this team to better than .500 in conference this year (9-7 minimum) then I will personally quit ragging on his coaching. IF he doesn't (Which he won't) then you need to quit blowing Drew smoke up our arses every post and just be a regular old poster (I like your hoops opinions and knowledge). What do you say?

You have a deal BT- this is how confident I am that Baylor will be at least 9-7. I am laughing at your "box out" reference. When they have those NBA coaches miked up, they say equally obvious stuff like "It is about defense guys". Coaches aren't usually in the top percentile of intelligence. If I had a dime for every "The difference between champ and chump is u" speech that I heard growing up...

Back