Reebok AA game review

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
http://www.nbadraft.net/node/5347

PF Andrew Fitzgerald - 6-8, 265 lbs. - Brewster Academy (N.H.) - Signed to Oklahoma
Playing alongside Keith Gallon, who was at the Jordan Classic this past weekend, Fitzgerald will make his own name at Oklahoma for years to come. This kid works hard, knows how to bang down low, and seems to relish contact. He was crucial for Team Finish down the stretch in the premier game, finishing with 12 points and showing he could easily replace Taylor Griffin as Gallon hopes to follow in Blake Griffin's footsteps.(actually had 16pts)

PF Thomas Robinson - 6-8, 215 lbs. - Brewster Academy (NH) - Signed to Kansas
Of everyone in the building, there was no better NBA prospect than Robinson. Known as a rebounder, the future Jayhawk did plenty of that. But he also scored 14 points for Team Finish in all sorts of ways. Along with being a freakish athlete, Robinson showed the ability to handle the ball, even playing point-forward from time to time in half court sets and on fast breaks. Additionally, he showed throughout the weekend a developing jump shot. Robinson admitted after the game he recognizes his rebounding earned him a name in the recruiting world, but he views himself as an all-around player and has worked on developing his wing game. Still, the super-athletic dunker did seem a little careless in practice, joking around and not always paying attention to what drill he was expected to do. If he can keep his head on straight and work on his wing play with the Jayhawks, he could be a VERY special talent down the road.

SG Rodney McGruder - 6-4, 195 lbs. - Arlington Country Day (Fla.) - Signed to Kansas State
McGruder was a local favorite, having hailed from Maryland, and he proved exactly why from the minute he stepped onto the practice court. His smoothness, length and athleticism allow him to play significantly bigger than his thin 6-4 frame, and he's got the kind of all-around game that could produce a top-caliber scorer for Frank Martin and the Wildcats. McGruder finished with 24 points and 7 boards, sha
ring MVP honors with Taylor for Team Finish.

PG Junior Cadougan - 6-1, 200 lbs. - Christian Life Center (Canada) - Signed to Marquette
The stocky point guard showed great strength and hustle, along with surprising quickness. He never really got things going offensively, finishing with just 7 points for Team Finish. But he was a rock-solid ball handler. At the same time, I do question his frame. It appears some conditioning is in order. Marquette is baron in the backcourt, though, and he should make an impact down the road.

PG Ray Penn - 5-9, 160 lbs. - Travis HS (Texas) - Signed to Oklahoma State
To put it bluntly, Penn is too short to score on the same level he did in college. But he's still a lightning quick guard with the ability to penetrate and dish at a high level. It's just that, he's not going to draw very much respect from opposition, and he didn't show the ability to separate as well as he needs to with his limiting height. Still, he probably should have been playing in the premier game, not the preview game.

KSU struck gold with Mcgruder. That guy is going to be a player at KSU.

The Penn scouting report was a scorcher. I think it's dead on. He looks every bit the height of Keiton Page. While Keiton Page was an oustanding player and shooter for OSU, he has unrepairable liabilities. I think it's telling the statement the scout made about getting seperation. Shorter guys are going to have to bring something extra to the plate, either blinding quickness or dazzling ballhandling to get a shot off. OSU is going to have to have someone penitrate the defense for these shooters to get their shots off.

Great write up. Very interesting considering all the Fitzgerald vs Robinson talk on this board the past year. :)

I wonder why they got Fitzgerald's stats wrong. According to the offical site, he had 16 (more than good old TRob I might add). Also, there was no mention of him at all on the site's game recap, the Washington Post article, or Slam magazine's review. I guess it really pays off to be a Jayhawk. :ford

From some of the clips that I saw on Robinson, I have to agree with that assessment. He's outstanding in the open court and has a big time NBA type body. He'll push the Morris's for PT, and I think he brings more to the Table than Withey who is athletic and runs the court well himself.

I think the comparision that someone made on the Jayhawk board about Fitz being Bookout like is a great comparison. Fitz is excellent at body positioning and footwork like bookout. He knows how to carve out space. I think he's good for some good buckets next year. My concern on him is rebounding, and the fact he plays below the rim. Bookout had a little more lift than Fitz.

From some of the clips that I saw on Robinson, I have to agree with that assessment. He's outstanding in the open court and has a big time NBA type body. He'll push the Morris's for PT, and I think he brings more to the Table than Withey who is athletic and runs the court well himself.

I think the comparision that someone made on the Jayhawk board about Fitz being Bookout like is a great comparison. Fitz is excellent at body positioning and footwork like bookout. He knows how to carve out space. I think he's good for some good buckets next year. My concern on him is rebounding, and the fact he plays below the rim. Bookout had a little more lift than Fitz.

I have thought that he played very similar to Book for quite sometime.

And for the record, I was very impressed with Thomas in that game. He had a sick crossover at the end that looked like a pointguard.

I agree, DM. I was pleasantly surprised at how good Robinson looked in the highlights. Shocked would be a better word at the crossover and the fade away jumper in the corner. I think he has a huge ceiling.

If Fitzgerald is anything like Bookout OU fans should be extremely happy. That means he's going to have a very productive and successful 4 year career.

I agree, DM. I was pleasantly surprised at how good Robinson looked in the highlights. Shocked would be a better word at the crossover and the fade away jumper in the corner. I think he has a huge ceiling.

If Fitzgerald is anything like Bookout OU fans should be extremely happy. That means he's going to have a very productive and successful 4 year career.

Bookout's career was successful and productive, but wasn't 4 years. What may set bookout aside from Fitz is rebounding. Bookout was excellent at that his last two years. I have some huge question marks about Fitz's size. The clips that I have seen have him shorter than guys who we have bagged on for being vertically challenged for fowards. I'm not against a 6'5 post player, but you better bring something to the plate like a PJ Tucker, Gary Johnson, or Mike Singletary. I'm not worried about him against OSU or Tech, but Baylor, UT, and KU will be concerns for him. I think he's a high post though, and that will help him offensively.

Bookout's career was successful and productive, but wasn't 4 years. What may set bookout aside from Fitz is rebounding. Bookout was excellent at that his last two years. I have some huge question marks about Fitz's size. The clips that I have seen have him shorter than guys who we have bagged on for being vertically challenged for fowards. I'm not against a 6'5 post player, but you better bring something to the plate like a PJ Tucker, Gary Johnson, or Mike Singletary. I'm not worried about him against OSU or Tech, but Baylor, UT, and KU will be concerns for him. I think he's a high post though, and that will help him offensively.

Book was excellent at it because he used great positioning and form. He barely got off the ground. They are similar athletes in that regard. They are also about the same height. The main difference is that Bookout was much stronger than Fitz as a freshman. Those massive shoulders and wide frame really served him well. That being said,Fitz can be a Bookout type rebounder. He has the motor and the attitude. He also has a big enough frame.

You are right in that Book was further along than Fitz is at this point in their careers.

He was pretty productive from what I remember his frosh and soph year. I mean, he was no Blake Griffin but he was a pretty solid contributor.

DM classy post and correct on all counts. Both KU and OU got great ones in Robinson and Fitzgerald.

Back