Releford update:

Cheno

Resident Hawk
Reaction score
For those that don't think Releford is a high-major prospect he's in Vegas this weekend doing his thing again.

The Pump N Run 17s, which opened the tourney 2-2, have a pair of major-college prospects in Trevor Releford, a 5-foot-11 senior from Roeland Park’s Bishop Miege, and Ricky Kreklow, a 6-6 senior from Rock Bridge High in Columbia, Mo.
Releford, the brother of KU sophomore Travis Releford, has received scholarship offers from Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida and Arizona, with UCLA and Minnesota also recruiting him. KU has shown some interest.
“He’s played extremely well in the spring and summer,” Goolsby said.

I'd say offers from OU, Tennessee, Florida and Arizona should say enough.
Releford isn't a "backup plan." He's a very good player and I hope OU can land him. I think he can be a change of pace difference maker.

Last edited:
Let's get him. I imagine Tennessee is turning up the heat. Preferably I still would rather have two High School wings and two posts, but if we go with One wing and two post I would be cool with Releford. Would take him over Olukemi.

Releford is said to be small and lightning quick. A guy that causes havoc on defense. He's always known to be very good on the ball defender. That is what I meant as a change of pace difference maker. A PG that comes in off the bench and gives you a different look. Kind of like what I imagined would be Drew Lavenders most effective role.

Releford is said to be small and lightning quick. A guy that causes havoc on defense. He's always known to be very good on the ball defender. That is what I meant as a change of pace difference maker. A PG that comes in off the bench and gives you a different look. Kind of like what I imagined would be Drew Lavenders most effective role.
Thanks.

I think Releford has a chance to be a really good college player and I would love to see him be a Sooner. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, and has shown improvement throughout the summer on the biggest stages.

more Releford stuff from the last few days.

http://theshiver.com/2009/07/day-3-of-the-kc-prep-national-invitational/#more-5617

http://theshiver.com/2009/07/trevor-releford-talks-about-his-summer-recruitment/

A side note is he and Justin McCay have been best friends since the 4th grade. I'm sure Stoops and Mangino are all over Capel and Self to give this little guy Releford a chance. :clap

McCay is a freaking superstar. Releford is a helluva player. Any school that lands those signatures is really doing something right.

Kreklow committed to MU yesterday. It will be interesting to see how good the kid from Ray South ends up being as he sounds like a phenom as a freshman.

My fear on Releford is how much time do we invest in him. We have been duped by going after players (Reed and the Older Releford) and as soon as KU offers, we end up holding the bag.

My fear on Releford is how much time do we invest in him. We have been duped by going after players (Reed and the Older Releford) and as soon as KU offers, we end up holding the bag.

Time? You scout numerous guys at these AAU tourneys...phone calls, text messages, letters...it's all part of it. It's all a numbers game. You recruit enough top guys and you get a top player. KU is in the hunt on like 4 of the top 7 PG's in the country. I'd say it's highly likely they get one. Plus have a bunch of PG/Combo guards on the roster and have already signed one in Releford's class. Regardless, you go after him. Capel isn't scared of anybody.

You look at the Lucas situation and OU had a chance to get a number of good PGs and ended up with Leary because they spent so much time on recruiting Lucas. This year is different because OU is in on several PGs and they have TMG if they come up empty. KU is looking for a PG as well and some of the prospects that they are looking at are leaning other places. If they offer, he'll go to KU.

You look at the Lucas situation and OU had a chance to get a number of good PGs and ended up with Leary because they spent so much time on recruiting Lucas. This year is different because OU is in on several PGs and they have TMG if they come up empty. KU is looking for a PG as well and some of the prospects that they are looking at are leaning other places. If they offer, he'll go to KU.

That entire post is purely speculation.

Nah. The fact Releford is blowing up this summer isn't. He is. He's a very good PG in his own right.

Not disputing that. Just hope Kansas doesn't decide they want him.

According to Scout's Eric Bossi, Releford has trimed his list, at least somewhat. It's Alabama, Arizona, Oklahoma, UCLA, USC, Texas A&M, Missouri State, Minnesota and Tennessee.

no mu, no ku.

no mu, no ku.

IMO, that's good news for the Sooners. With the possible exception of Arizona and UCLA, I can't see any kid picking one of the others over OU.

Back