Revenue Sharing is probably gonna happen by next year

NickZepp

Reaction score
This could be good because it may mean that everyone essentially be from the same pool for the most part. But we still don't know exactly how it's gonna look. Could mean transferring will happen less.

Big 12 and ACC already signed into the agreement with the NCAA. Sounds like the Big 10 and SEC are gonna back it too.

and this is just a start ... there are still all kinds of issues with the proposed settlement . ...

and this is just a start ... there are still all kinds of issues with the proposed settlement . ...
The whole thing is burning down and wont stop until its full-on professional sports (just JV). Sadly, id be selling OU right now. The things that made us strong - tradition/brand - are now almost worthless and cash is the only thing that matters (absent having a great coach with a great system..).

We'll have some moments in the sun, sure. But i fear they will be few and far in between (i will long for the sampson days forever)

The whole thing is burning down and wont stop until its full-on professional sports (just JV). Sadly, id be selling OU right now. The things that made us strong - tradition/brand - are now almost worthless and cash is the only thing that matters (absent having a great coach with a great system..).

We'll have some moments in the sun, sure. But i fear they will be few and far in between (i will long for the sampson days forever)
when there is a players union and a CBA (a cap will come with that) and then all those things will matter again ..

when there is a players union and a CBA (a cap will come with that) and then all those things will matter again ..
The schools aren't the ones paying the players so who is the CBA going to be with? How can there be a salary cap when they don't have salaries?

The schools aren't the ones paying the players so who is the CBA going to be with? How can there be a salary cap when they don't have salaries?
you understand that the settlement that this thread is talking about includes direct pay to players from the schools right?? (and not one time payments ) ongoing revenue sharing.. . year after year

you understand that the settlement that this thread is talking about includes direct pay to players from the schools right?? (and not one time payments ) ongoing revenue sharing.. . year after year
But there will still be NIL, correct? So if the pay is basically the same across the board but you can get a better NIL deal at a different school the athletes will still have a big incentive to transfer. The NIL will still not be regulated (if I'm reading this correctly)

But there will still be NIL, correct? So if the pay is basically the same across the board but you can get a better NIL deal at a different school the athletes will still have a big incentive to transfer. The NIL will still not be regulated (if I'm reading this correctly)
The NIL is gonna be directed by the schools. That's where all this is headed.

My 2 cents… is the bottom is probably going to drop out eventually.

Think about all the non revenue sports… That ride on the income of the revenue sports.

Can’t have both.. those non rev athletes will want a piece of the pie as well, and with the whole “woke” political cultural the lawsuits will be settled in favor of those athletes.

I’m guessing all “college” athletes will get a paycheck, along with free school, food, room, clothes, medical coverage (eyes, teeth, etc).

It might even go back to true NIL, where the athletes are free to get whatever endorsements they want. Star QB gets big time stuff. Oline only gets his paycheck.

Just thinking…fball, 85 x 25k? That’s 2.1 MILLION… just for fball at $25k.

Take that times 200? Athletes total?

Guess that’s only 5 Million… still a big chunk and that’s only at 25k a yr
Just crazy thoughts

How can that possibly work? Is OU going to tell a company they can't give someone money for appearing in a commercial?
Going to be unfortunately funny to watch the whole thing go bankrupt someday as the court's force schools to give monies to non-revenue loser sports too and before it does, tuition will skyrocket on the normal students to help pay for it. Heck, maybe theyll drag in the taxpayers too for public universities

Last edited:
Can’t have both.. those non rev athletes will want a piece of the pie as well, and with the whole “woke” political cultural the lawsuits will be settled in favor of those athletes.
I very much disagree with this .. more likely those sports go away then this ..

I very much disagree with this .. more likely those sports go away then this ..
You think the courts will have enough fortitude to say no more non-revenue sports in this political climate to students (and a disproportionate amount of which will realistically be womens sports, i.e., womens basketball dies, while most mens basketball survives)?

You think the courts will have enough fortitude to say no more non-revenue sports in this political climate to students (and a disproportionate amount of which will realistically be womens sports, i.e., womens basketball dies, while most mens basketball survives)?
the courts won't say no more non rev sports ... they won't have to ..

but the courts for sure are not going to require payments to athletes on sports teams that lose money .. ..

the courts won't say no more non rev sports ... they won't have to ..

but the courts for sure are not going to require payments to athletes on sports teams that lose money .. ..
I agree for the most part, but could see legal cases where Title IX is brought into the equation as it relates to the total university budget and allocation. Not just based on the budget for the individual sport, because the female non-revenue sports are representing the University and Athletic department, therefore their budget.

Not saying I agree, just could see that legal argument being pursued.

But definitely, a lot of sports will be forced to go away or go club sports status.

If approved by a judge, it would further upend the NCAA’s longstanding amateur sports model by allowing revenue-sharing by schools with their athletes, who were allowed to begin earning endorsement money less than three years ago.

Under terms of the proposed settlement, the NCAA would pay $2.77 billion over 10 years to former and current college athletes who were denied by now-defunct rules the ability to earn money from endorsement and sponsorship deals dating to 2016. The NCAA and conferences also would agree to establish a revenue-sharing system, with schools allowed — though not required — to spend about $21 million each year on their athletes. That number could grow over time if revenue increases.

How can that possibly work? Is OU going to tell a company they can't give someone money for appearing in a commercial?
I guess you could have some schools go rogue and raise more than the 20 something million but the thing is the schools will want control of the spending still.

I guess you could have some schools go rogue and raise more than the 20 something million but the thing is the schools will want control of the spending still.
They can want that all they want. The reality is that the genie is out of the bottle and NIL is here to stay. There is zero chance they can control NIL.

Back