Projected starters for next year

jaymOU

Reaction score
Here is what I've got, curious as to what everyone else thinks....

PG - biggest question mark. Cortes or Mason are not ready to handle it, IMO at this time. Mo would be option No. 1 for me, but I'd say his return is iffy. I don't believe Uzan or Oweh are really PGs at this time. So, for me, PG is priority No. 1

SG - Noland - yes I think he will start and be a really strong player for OU. Assume the freshman (Oweh and Uzan) back him up

SF / SG - Harkless. IMO if he does not get hurt, the 21-22 team makes the Big Dance. He struggled for a couple of weeks, but he will start for this team - if healthy. All 3 freshman could see back-up minutes here.

PF - Hill - love to see him keep improving, hoping he can hit the corner 3 more consistently. Groves and Schroder to back-up here.

C - Priority No. 2 - TGroves is a good player, but he will need help, obviously. Big Rick is not the answer in this offense and probably at this level. Mawein could play some minutes here and you might have to go small with Hill at the 5 some, if they don't find someone in the portal.

Got to have a PG and a C in the portal, in my opinion. Of course, OU has zero roster spots open right now, so I am assuming Rick and one of the guards transfers.

I think it's fun to project, but just way too early to do so. I'd guess that at least one, if not more, of our most important players isn't even on the roster yet. Till the incoming and outgoing portal players are known, it just seems too speculative.

right now..

1. Milos
2. CJ
3. Harkless
4. Hill
5. Groves

Jacob will play
Otega will play.
Scrhroder? who knows.

Hopefully transfers starting at PG and SG, and maybe a transfer backing up T. Groves.

Also could start Harkless, J. Groves, and Hill.

I don't think Noland needs to be starting next year. We aren't going to be a very good team if he is. He needs to be one of the first guards off the bench.

I think it's fun to project, but just way too early to do so. I'd guess that at least one, if not more, of our most important players isn't even on the roster yet. Till the incoming and outgoing portal players are known, it just seems too speculative.

Speculation is the life-blood of message boards :) I just really think PG is maybe the most important position to find help in the portal, unless MO is back.

uzan is absolutely a PG (not saying he will start)

it will be shocking if any one other then Groves starts at the 5

Hopefully transfers starting at PG and SG, and maybe a transfer backing up T. Groves.

Also could start Harkless, J. Groves, and Hill.

I don't think Noland needs to be starting next year. We aren't going to be a very good team if he is. He needs to be one of the first guards off the bench.

Disagree. Noland has the physical tools and offensive skills to be a solid starter next year.

Here is what I've got, curious as to what everyone else thinks....

PG - biggest question mark. Cortes or Mason are not ready to handle it, IMO at this time. Mo would be option No. 1 for me, but I'd say his return is iffy. I don't believe Uzan or Oweh are really PGs at this time. So, for me, PG is priority No. 1

SG - Noland - yes I think he will start and be a really strong player for OU. Assume the freshman (Oweh and Uzan) back him up

SF / SG - Harkless. IMO if he does not get hurt, the 21-22 team makes the Big Dance. He struggled for a couple of weeks, but he will start for this team - if healthy. All 3 freshman could see back-up minutes here.

PF - Hill - love to see him keep improving, hoping he can hit the corner 3 more consistently. Groves and Schroder to back-up here.

C - Priority No. 2 - TGroves is a good player, but he will need help, obviously. Big Rick is not the answer in this offense and probably at this level. Mawein could play some minutes here and you might have to go small with Hill at the 5 some, if they don't find someone in the portal.

Got to have a PG and a C in the portal, in my opinion. Of course, OU has zero roster spots open right now, so I am assuming Rick and one of the guards transfers.

If Mo doesn't return, a scoring guard needs to be the number one priority in the portal. A starting backcourt with CJ and Harkless is going to be rough. Agree with WT here.

If Mo doesn't return, a scoring guard needs to be the number one priority in the portal. A starting backcourt with CJ and Harkless is going to be rough. Agree with WT here.

They will continue to get better on defense. We'll be one of the top defensive teams in the nation moving forward.

Otega will surprise many IMO.

But yes if Moja goes, a flat scorer is a have to...

Disagree. Noland has the physical tools and offensive skills to be a solid starter next year.

He will not be better than Mo. So tell me how this team is going to improve significantly if we start Harkless, Hill, and Groves, take a dip from Mo to Noland, and do whatever we do at point guard?

We need to be starting a better player than Noland next year. Almost no reason to go to the Portal for anything but a PG if Noland is starting. Let the freshman play next year and build towards the following season.

1 - Uzan
2/3 - Noland
2/3 - Oweh
4 - Hill
5 - Groves

That's my midseason projection as things currently stand.

If Bijan and Mason both transfer, getting a transfer PG alongside Uzan is absolutely mandatory. If Bijan stays, he might start the season as PG, but I don't think it will last indefinitely. If Bijan and Uzan both stay, I think a wing able to handle some ball-handling responsibility would be a better target.

I would really love to upgrade at the 5 and bring Tanner off the bench, but that's likely a tall order.

At the end of the day, though, you just have to take best player available. We're okay at all positions, but all have considerable room for improvement.

1 - Uzan
2/3 - Noland
2/3 - Oweh
4 - Hill
5 - Groves

That's my midseason projection as things currently stand.

If Bijan and Mason both transfer, getting a transfer PG alongside Uzan is absolutely mandatory. If Bijan stays, he might start the season as PG, but I don't think it will last indefinitely. If Bijan and Uzan both stay, I think a wing able to handle some ball-handling responsibility would be a better target.

I would really love to upgrade at the 5 and bring Tanner off the bench, but that's likely a tall order.

At the end of the day, though, you just have to take best player available. We're okay at all positions, but all have considerable room for improvement.

If Harkless is here, he is starting. Or, he'll have a long leash at the very least.

Going to probably change based on who they get in the portal, but right now:
1. Cortes, think this will change from portal.
2. CJ
3. Harkless
4. Hill
5. T. Groves

I think a better 1,3, & a really good backup 4/5 is needed to improve from last year.

Pending transfers in and out and any new 2022 high school kids, here is my lineup.

5= T Groves, J groves, and Mawein
4= Hill, J Groves and Mawein
2/3= Harkless and Noland, Oweh is the backup
1= uzan and Cortez

Unknowns for me: Schroeder, Izzanza and whether Mo returns.

If Mo returns, then Noland is my first off the bench on the wings
If Cortez leaves, then I guess Noland would be backup point
Film looks good on Schroeder, but who knows what he can really do

My portal wish list is as follows. First, I would like a good experianced point guard that can shoot. Second, I would like a taller wing that can shoot
Third, I would like a kid with some beef inside that can defend and rebound.

For me, it is just too early to predict this team's performance next year.

1. Transfer/Uzan/Cortes (if he stays)
2. Harkless/Noland
3. Hill/Oweh/Schroder
4. Transfer/J. Groves/Mawein (if he stays)
5. T. Groves/Transfer

At least that's my hope.

Add a legit transfer big and legit transfer wing.. or (2) wings. I'm rolling dice at PG.. Cortes and or Uzan can handle it.. Harkless or germany kid could handle maybe.. Jalen Hill brought it up several times as well.

I'm high on Cortes.. think he's proving ppl wrong next year and moving forward.

If Gibson comes back.. could be interesting.
1. Gibson
2. Noland
3. Harkless
4. Hill
5. Groves

PG: Not on the roster/Gibson/Uzan
SG: Harkless/Noland/Oweh
SF: Not on roster/J Groves
PF: Hill
C: T Groves, but I hope he is recruited over in the portal

Noland could easily start. If he loses 10 pounds, he could be an elite 3&D guy.

Cortes and Mason are hard to evaluate right now. Mawein and Izzansa don't seem to be in the future plans.

Last edited:
PG: Not on the roster/Gibson/Uzan
SG: Harkless/Noland/Oweh
SF: Not on roster/J Groves
PF: Hill
C: T Groves, but I hope he is recruited over in the portal

Noland could easily start. If he loses 10 pounds, he could be an elite 3&D guy.

Cortes and Mason are hard to evaluate right now. Mawein and Izzansa don't seem to be in the future plans.

I don't think Gibson is coming back to come off the bench.

Add a legit transfer big and legit transfer wing.. or (2) wings. I'm rolling dice at PG.. Cortes and or Uzan can handle it.. Harkless or germany kid could handle maybe.. Jalen Hill brought it up several times as well.

I'm high on Cortes.. think he's proving ppl wrong next year and moving forward.

If Gibson comes back.. could be interesting.
1. Gibson
2. Noland
3. Harkless
4. Hill
5. Groves

That starting 5 could compete with most teams in the country IMO. We would likely have a really solid bench too. Gibson keeps working on those handles and he could be Davidson steph curry-esque next year.

Last edited:
I'm very excited about the 3 freshman and hope they adjust well enough to get tons of minutes. They make us longer, more athletic, and they are better scorers than others at their positions who are older. Part of me is in the camp to ride with them and build for the future. However, if Moser strikes gold in the portal that may be tempered somewhat.

I'm intrigued by Gibson at the point if he returns. Texas Tech did great this year without a true point. Getting that kind of a scoring threat at point would be awesome. Not sure if that would fit in Moser's offense though. I'd love it if Uzan was good enough to start. That kid has everything you want in a point. Hopefully he has a great summer in the weight room.

Back