Scoring Lost Each Season under Coach Kruger

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Just a little history. Provided below is a year-by-year list of players completing their final season at OU, and their scoring average during their final season. The list assumes that Buddy returns next season.

Departing Players Each Season under Coach Kruger

2011-12: 15-16; 5-13 Big-12 (8th Place)
> Calvin Newell (G, 6-1, 198, So.) ... 13.0 ppg ... Left Program **
> Carl Blair (G, 6-2, 205, Jr.) ... 3.5 ppg ... Left Program
> C.J. Washington (F, 6-6, 230, Sr.) ... 2.0 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Barry Honore (F, 6-7, 270, Sr.) ... 0.7 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> T.J. Franklin (G, 5-11, 175, Sr.) ... 0.4 ppg ... Senior/Final Season

** Only played in 5 games in 2011-12.

2012-13: 20-12; 11-7 Big-12 (T-4th Place)
> Romero Osby (F, 6-8, 232, Sr.) ... 16.0 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Steven Pledger (G, 6-4, 219, Sr.) ... 11.6 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Amath M’Baye (F, 6-9, 208, Jr.) ... 10.1 ppg ... Left Program
> Andrew Fitzgerald (F, 6-8, 238, Sr.) ... 5.7 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Sam Grooms (G, 6-1, 203, Sr.) ... 5.0 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Casey Arent (C, 6-10, 223, Sr.) ... 0.7 ppg ... Senior/Final Season

2013-14: 23-10; 12-6 Big-12 (2nd Place)
> Cameron Clark (F, 6-7, 211, Sr.) ... 15.6 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Tyler Neal (F, 6-7, 234, Sr.) ... 6.3 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> Je’lon Hornbeak (G, 6-4, 184, So.) ... 5.1 ppg ... Left Program

2014-15: 24-11; 12-6 Big-12 (T-2nd Place)
> TaShawn Thomas (F, 6-8, 242, Sr.) ... 11.6 ppg ... Senior/Final Season
> D.J. Bennett (F, 6-8, 202, Sr.) ... 1.9 ppg ... Senior/Final Season

Note: TaShawn Thomas averaged 11.3 ppg in Big-12 Conference games.

Returning Scoring for Next Season

PPG ... Player
17.4 ... Buddy Hield
11.7 ... Isaiah Cousins
_9.7 ... Ryan Spangler
_9.3 ... Jordan Woodard
_5.0 ... Frank Booker
_3.3 ... Dinjiyl Walker
_2.0 ... Khadeem Lattin

So the only year we lost less scoring was after Kruger's first year. And we have improved every year.
I don't see any reason we shouldn't continue to improve next year, especially since the conference will be much more down than it was this year. Anything other than a top 3 finish will be a disappointment.

Tashawn Thomas averaged 14 and 7 in the tournament to be fair...

I'm not sure if TaShawn is your bae or not but stating we will be a better team next year is no knock on what kind of player Thomas was this year. It's more of a compliment to the job Coach Kruger has done since taking over this dumpster fire left by Jeff Capel.

We'll be fine.

Agreed. I think Traveler's point in posting the scoring we've lost every season Kruger has been at OU is exactly that.

Sure, we'll miss Thomas and Buddy if he leaves early. Everyone thought we would miss Clark, Hornbeak and Neal this season, and to some extent maybe we did. But the fact remains that this year's team was better.

There are no guarantees that next year's team will be better, or that we'll make it to the Sweet Sixteen again. But it's almost a certainty that the scoring will come from returning players who improve or from our two redshirts, or from the newbies we have coming in. It's been that way every season since LK arrived at OU four years ago.

Yes Ada. I also agree with CoachTalk that “we will be fine.” I think its only natural that we go through multiple “what we’ve lost” threads after every season. After four years, we should realize that Coach Kruger has a plan and he knows what he is doing. Based on results, it is clear that the coaching staff can teach players to get better. Based on results, it is clear that OU’s coaches can identify and bring in recruits that can help the program be a winner.

In 2012-13 (20-12; 11-7), Romero Osby, Steven Pledger and Amath M’Baye were double-digit scorers that were big contributors to Lon Kruger’s 1st NCAA tournament team at OU. Some Sooner fans asked, how can OU replace this lost scoring?

In 2013-14 (23-10; 12-6), Cameron Clark was the second leading scorer at 15.6 ppg. Some Sooner fans asked, how can OU replace this lost scoring?

In 2014-15 (24-11; 12-6), TaShawn Thomas graduates after greatly helping the Sooners to the Sweet-16. Some Sooner fans are asking, how can OU replace this lost scoring?

In the meantime, the returning players work hard during the off-season under the direction of a solid coaching staff, and some of those players mature and improve and become better scorers. Also in the meantime, the coaches bring in some new player(s) that help continue the winning ways that now define the OU basketball program.

There is far more to winning than scoring. Somehow, someway, I think the Sooners will be pretty good next season. If Buddy returns, the Sooners could be very good next season.

To lose what OU lost after the 2012-13 season and still improve with a true freshman starting at the point says a lot. Losing Thomas is a blow, but this staff has proven time and again that they are capable of getting the next guy(s) up ready. I'm confident it'll be the same next season.

If Buddy is back, I think we will be slightly better next season. If not, we will only take a small step back.

This year's team was considerably better than last year's and, if Hield returns, next year's team will be extra salty. It's potentially a conference championship team and Final 4 team if we can figure out some inside scoring.

Without Hield, there will be struggles but it will probably be the deepest OU team in several years. That, and watching the young guys progress, will be fun to watch in and of itself.

If Buddy is back, I think we will be slightly better next season. If not, we will only take a small step back.

Kind of agree. Though it may be reflected "oddly" in how our season looks. We could take a small step back, and still probably have the same if not better regular season record. Or we could improve slightly, and still finish 2/3 in the Big 12, and not make a Sweet 16.

Back