Should OU accept the NIT invitation?

Boom Soon

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying kudos to Moser, and his staff and the team for finishing the regular season on a high note. There was doubt they would even finish with a winning record three weeks ago, and now there's talk of being one win away from the dance.

I think if Oklahoma can beat Baylor they have a very good chance of making the dance, and are a lock if they can win two games. It is not out of the realm of possibility that they can beat Baylor, but it will be a definite challenge. So with that being said, I think an NIT invitation is the most likely scenario. What are you guys' thoughts on whether OU should play in the NIT or not? Personally, I'm torn. On one hand, I think a run in the NIT would be kind of fun, and a good way to end out a, at times, very disappointing season. I think a couple wins in the NIT could inspire some momentum/excitement for the guy's returning next year. Knowing how close they were to a NCAA birth. But, I think, on the other hand, Moser needs all the time he can have in the offseason to recruit and develop, as well as let's just get the transfers over with.

What do you think?

Extending the season by at most two weeks won’t hamper recruiting at all.

no question.

Worst case you give Oklahoma kids like Ethan Chagrois and Marvin Johnson a few extra games in an Oklahoma uniform.

Yes! Most of the current players will be back next year. Extending the postseason will give them more experience.

No. Then they’d be giving up their ncaa bid…. :)

I was doubting an NIT invitation a few weeks ago. I would gladly accept it. But, let’s go ahead and beat Baylor to make it even more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It won’t help next year’s team. You want to change the culture? NIT at OU shouldn’t be acceptable. This team underachieved. Call it a season and figure out how we get better next year.

Similar to football. You take any bowl bid no matter if it's crappy to get the extra practice for next year.
Only downside would be the pitiful crowds at any home games.
And the comparison with the women's team that will be in the big dance.

Take it and make a go at the Garden. I was at the last NIT game inside the LNC: 2004 against LSU. Brandon Foust had a big night and 8,000 paying customers were in the house.

No. It won’t help next year’s team. You want to change the culture? NIT at OU shouldn’t be acceptable. This team underachieved. Call it a season and figure out how we get better next year.

Thats silly.. but okay

Be surprised if they turn it down but getting a good feeling about Thursday so lets win that and go dancing.

Wayy too many players returning for next season to turn it down! Besides, it's still an accomplishment. THere are A LOT of teams that won't get to play in any post season tournaments.

So give up several weeks of practice that wouldn’t be allowed if we declined?

Your logic is no more practice and “figure out” ?

It’s not acceptable but it’s year 1.

I'm with Coach and whoever else that mentioned practice. You absolutely take the NIT bid, if for no other reason, to get more practices in with this team. Most are coming back and they definitely need the practice.

I think it would also give the kids some tournament experience which would have some value. And besides, the kids like the coach and each other and they deserve to have a little fun.

Saying no is like a high school boy saying he is never going on a date with a girl until Katie perry says she will go out with him. Sometimes you just can't start at the top.

I don't think a culture change that includes less practice and fewer games is what we're after.

Back