SI still regards WWIII as a top ten pick

JDM Sooner

Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...down.top.draft.prospects/index.html?eref=sihp

Willie Warren, 6-4 sophomore shooting guard, Oklahoma. Take your pick here. "If a team needs a big, they'll take Aldrich; if they need a point guard, they'll take Willie Warren," an executive said. Though Warren is listed as a shooting guard for Oklahoma, he has the potential to shift to the point in the NBA. "He is talented, he's quick, he can shoot it, and I think he can be a '1.' If he was in last year's draft with all of those point guards, I don't think he would be rated this high. But this year, after John Wall [and potentially Evan Turner], there is no other point guard. So he is going to benefit from the timing of the draft.

"But I will say," continued this exec, "a lot of [NBA] guys are down on Warren because of questions about character. [Oklahoma coach Jeff] Capel benched him one game this year and, instead of saying he had a headache or he'd banged his knee in practice, he chose not to explain it. Obviously there's some friction there, and the team is not as good without Blake Griffin. But Warren is a talented guy and, at the very least, he's going to be a top-10 pick."

I think ww will have a good NBA career. He will have alot more room to operate and I really think he will benefit by not being expected to be the main scorer.

Sports Illustrated still thinks I'm a subscriber, and I let it lapse over thirty years ago.

I think ww will have a good NBA career. He will have alot more room to operate and I really think he will benefit by not being expected to be the main scorer.

He will have more room to operate, but he'll have to be stronger with the ball. Also, WW gets calls on the college level that he won't get on the pro level. He'll have to adjust his game. He'll also have to be a better off the screen shooter. He takes alot of shots where he's just out there 35ft away and throws it up. He'll have to learn how to shoot off the screen. He's gone away from his mid range game. That's the best part of his game.

This is not SI's opinion, but it is the opinion of an NBA executive. That means a lot more than Seth Davis saying it.

I have never seen Willie take a 35 footer. That would be 14 feet beyond the 21 foot line. Basically a free throw beyond the line.

He will have more room to operate, but he'll have to be stronger with the ball. Also, WW gets calls on the college level that he won't get on the pro level. He'll have to adjust his game. He'll also have to be a better off the screen shooter. He takes alot of shots where he's just out there 35ft away and throws it up. He'll have to learn how to shoot off the screen. He's gone away from his mid range game. That's the best part of his game.

WW gets calls on the college level? The A&M game suggested otherwise

35 feet jumpers? Hyperbole personified

Back