Softball

I would be happier if they came out with contempt next year. We are #1. You are the ones at risk if you don't think so. We will win it again.

I agree. Truthfully, OU's non-conference was not much different last year as compared to this year. In fact, they got beat badly in February/March 2016 and barely lost in 2017.

I think the big thing that will make a big difference is they have finally learned how to deal with having the target on their back. It will be easier the second time around as long as everyone stays healthy.

Very likely OU will be rated #1 going into next year. After the team's experience with that this year, I'm hoping they learned how to ignore that and stay loose and just play like they can.

Record by conference[edit]
Conference--# of Bids--Record-----Win %-------RF---SR----WS---NS-----F---NC
SEC................13.......39–27-------.591---------10----8------3-----1-----1 –
Pac-12------------8------30–15-------.667----------6----5------3-----2-----– –
Big 12------------4-------23-10-------.697----------4----2------2-----1-----1-----1
ACC---------------3--------7–6--------.538----------2----1 – – – –
Big Ten-----------5--------8–10-------.444----------4 – – – – –
American---------1--------2–2--------.500----------1 – – – – –
Sun Belt----------2--------3–4---------.429---------1 – – – – –
Big South---------1--------2–2---------.500---------1 – – – – –
Big West----------1--------2–2---------.500---------1 – – – – –
CAA---------------1--------2–2---------.500---------1 – – – – –
WCC---------------1-------2–2----------.500---------1 – – – – –
C-USA-------------3-------3–6----------.333 – – – – – –
MWC---------------2-------2–4----------.333 – – – – – –
Other-------------19-------8–38---------.174 – – – – – –

Last edited:
So, by winning percentage:
697 Big Twelve
667 Pac Twelve
591 SEC

By wins per entry
5.75 Big Twelve
3.75 Pac Twelve
3.00 SEC

But, the SEC claims the most teams and the most wins. Maybe it suggests that the Big Twelve should have had seven entries.

Just not much revealed by those numbers other than a lot of SEC teams got in, and a lot lost. They also had 27 losses.

So, by winning percentage:
697 Big Twelve
667 Pac Twelve
591 SEC

By wins per entry
5.75 Big Twelve
3.75 Pac Twelve
3.00 SEC

But, the SEC claims the most teams and the most wins. Maybe it suggests that the Big Twelve should have had seven entries.

Just not much revealed by those numbers other than a lot of SEC teams got in, and a lot lost. They also had 27 losses.

No questions the data from one year is going to tell you virtually nothing. Take the data from the last 36 years of March Madness and you can get a very good indication how variously seeded are going to perform over the next 10-15 years.

http://bracketodds.cs.illinois.edu/seedadv.html

No questions the data from one year is going to tell you virtually nothing. Take the data from the last 36 years of March Madness and you can get a very good indication how variously seeded are going to perform over the next 10-15 years.

http://bracketodds.cs.illinois.edu/seedadv.html

You fail to understand that the accuracy/failure of the data over the last 36 years has no bearing on the accuracy of the RPI/seedings of 2017.

Sorry if this has been posted before or is common knowledge. Since I did not know what the limits were to softball roster size, I looked it up.

NCAA Division 1 Softball Roster Limit Rules
http://www.ehow.com/way_5456447_ncaa-softball-roster-limit-rules.html

While there is no maximum limit to the number of players that can be included on a college softball team listed in the NCAA rule book, there are specific rules governing the number of players, particularly scholarship players that can be listed on an NCAA Division I team's roster. The basics of the game call for nine players on a side and allow for eligible substitutes listed on the lineup card submitted to the plate umpire before each game.

Basics: Each team in a Division I softball game must have nine eligible players on the field at all times. Standard positions for these players include a pitcher, catcher, first, second and third basemen, short stop and three outfielders. It is usual for a team to list at least several other eligible players for a given game including backup pitchers, so-called utility players and perhaps a stronger hitter to fill the designated player (DP) role. If a team cannot field nine eligible players, the game is deemed a forfeit according to NCAA rules to the team that can field a full team of nine.

The Roster: The NCAA allows Division I softball teams to have 12 scholarships on each team if each school chooses to budget for that many scholarships. Those scholarships can amount to more than 12 players, however. Scholarships can be divided into half, third or other partial scholarships resulting in a larger roster of players for any given team. A team's roster of scholarship athletes, then, could amount to up to 25 players. Teams may also field so-called walk on players who are not on any athletic scholarship.

A typical roster among the top teams around the country numbers between 15 and 19 players. With more than twice the number of players on a roster than are allowed on the field at any given time, this offers the coaching staff of each of these teams options on how best to field a team from back up pitchers to strength in the field or an extra strong hitter in the designated player (DP) role.

Softball should have 20 scholarships. Basketball has 5 players and 15 schollies and play about 30 games. Softball plays 70 games and 12 schollies. Typical stupidity.

Softball should have 20 scholarships. Basketball has 5 players and 15 schollies and play about 30 games. Softball plays 70 games and 12 schollies. Typical stupidity.

Agreed. Here are the scholarship limits for all sports, with separate lists for men and women.

College Athletic Scholarship Limits 2016-17 **
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

It seems weird that some sports have fractional scholarship limits. For example, there are 10 weight classes in college wrestling, yet the scholarship limit is 9.9 scholarships.

College Wrestling and Scholarship Opportunities
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/wrestling.html

** The above link has some interesting information. Click on an individual sport to get stats such as how many teams compete in that sport. For example, Equestrian teams are allowed 15 scholarships, yet there are only 19 Division-1 Equestrian teams, and the average number of athletes on each D-1 team is 39.

College Equestrian & Scholarship Opportunities
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/equestrian.html

What is the logic for the number of scholarships per each sport? Is there any logic?

Last edited:
You fail to understand that the accuracy/failure of the data over the last 36 years has no bearing on the accuracy of the RPI/seedings of 2017.

And you fail to understand despite repeated statements to the contrary no system can accurately project the future. The numbers are only applicable from a probability perspective and they are accurate in those regards only. Again I apologize for again talking above your head. But an accuracy of 77.4% is pretty damn good. Both ESPN/USA polls accuracy was 66.1%.

However the rpi system linked below did project 16 of 16 super-regional winners, 5 of 8 WCWS qualifiers, 2 of 4 semi-finalist, 1 or 2 finalist or 24 of 31 contest or a winning percentage 77.4% (24/31). Neither the ESPN or Coaches poll did as well.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Last edited:
And you fail to understand despite repeated statements to the contrary no system can accurately project the future. The numbers are only applicable from a probability perspective and they are accurate in those regards only. Again I apologize for again talking above your head. But an accuracy of 77.4% is pretty damn good.

However the rpi system linked below did project 16 of 16 super-regional winners, 5 of 8 WCWS qualifiers, 2 of 4 semi-finalist, 1 or 2 finalist or 24 of 31 contest or a winning percentage 77.4% (24/31). Neither the ESPN or Coaches poll did as well.

And you fail to see another factor. Forcing teams like Minnesota to trave for a regional reinforces the seeding because of home field advantage. Frankly, had Florida played oSu in Stillwater, they might not have made it to the Super Regional. Putting all 13 SEC teams in the tourney improved chances that SEC teams would advance.

The Committee needs to have Power 5 representation, not the SEC and a raft of small conferences.

Probably the only logic on scholarship numbers is they are larger for women's sports than men's sports to accommodate for the large number of football scholarships. It appears the sports with the greatest numbers are the newer sports like equestrian and rowing.

The numbers of the older sports appear to be based on traditional number with an incremental addition for the women's sports. I think.

And you fail to see another factor. Forcing teams like Minnesota to trave for a regional reinforces the seeding because of home field advantage. Frankly, had Florida played oSu in Stillwater, they might not have made it to the Super Regional. Putting all 13 SEC teams in the tourney improved chances that SEC teams would advance.

The Committee needs to have Power 5 representation, not the SEC and a raft of small conferences.

You have obviously failed to grasp the points I have repeatedly made. Minnesota and were ranked in the top 16 by the rpi and both should have hosted a regional. Instead they were replaced by Utah and Ole Miss by the subjective decision of the seeding committee something I strongly oppose as it is the human involvement in the decision making that brings out the perpetual bias that always exist in the final rankings.

It is this human bias use as examples when complaining about the rpi when they have nothing to do with the rpi rankings. Sad the failure to understand what has transpired.

I think the only factor reflected in the rankings should be the results on the field not someone's bias toward their team or a team from their region of the country.

I do think both the number of quality wins and losses should be heavily factored into the system and the rpi does such. I think injuries that impact ability to play at season's end and a 20 game win streak at season's end in more important than a similar win streak at the start of the season. As the former is more indicate of the present status of the team's quality. Another factor is margin of victory which I think should be included but the NCAA chooses not to include because of the gaming industry.

There are other factors, I am sure, that I cannot list as the rpi could easily be more accurate with the proper effort. Equally as important is for all weekly calculation to be totally transparent and the selection committee to have to have weekly press conferences to justify their rankings for at least the last 3-4 rankings.

Improve the rpi just don't add the human element and totally screw it up.

And you fail to understand despite repeated statements to the contrary no system can accurately project the future. The numbers are only applicable from a probability perspective and they are accurate in those regards only. Again I apologize for again talking above your head. But an accuracy of 77.4% is pretty damn good. Both ESPN/USA polls accuracy was 66.1%.

Spock, for you to talk above my head, you'd have to climb a 12-foot ladder.

For someone who can't even compose or correctly punctuate a sentence, you certainly have a high regard for your own intellect.

Funny thing happened this year, with the polls.

This week both the USA Today/NFCA Poll and the ESPN.com/USA Softball Polls were released with Oklahoma #1. The one thing that hasn't happened (that occurred in every previous year) is the release of the Post WCWS RPI. Oops, there is probably some real embarrassment for the committee. The RPI probably still has the Sooners #12. Truth is the combination of the RPI and the Committee was way off target this year.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/College-Corner/2017-College-Corner/Top-25-Polls

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1

People can talk all about accuracy that they want - but seeding is the real accuracy. If you play at home, you usually win. Should have worked this year except for the Sooner team that has now won 27 in a row on the road.

On one hand, there is agreement. Any time that you introduce the human factor, there is the opportunity for error. The question becomes what error, and when is it introduced. I think that most of us are certain that there is error introduced into the formulation of the rpi.

If you devise a formula to achieve a desired result, that will be the result that you get. From what we saw this year, some things that should have had a major impact on the rpi, assuming a proper formula, had no effect. Thus, we assume that the problem of human error occurred in the formulation, itself.

The fact that some aspects of the formulation were correct resulted in a similarity of some logical consequences simply removes it from random numbers. From a random number, you anticipate a probability of 50:50. A 75% success is barely above random numbers in such a system. If we used a 75% probabilty, we would probably have had such great scientific success that we would have landed in Mesopotamia by now. I hardly think Isabella would have financed Columbus on such a probability of success. The rpi simply didn't provide credible comparisons.

Spock, for you to talk above my head, you'd have to climb a 12-foot ladder.

For someone who can't even compose or correctly punctuate a sentence, you certainly have a high regard for your own intellect.

Wasn't discussing intellect just your ability to comprehend what the numbers really tell you and what I have said the numbers can tell you. You want to discuss a totally different issue. But that is you.

And yep the numbers are going to be wrong 25% of the time which means they are right 75% of the time. That is the way the work. Now if you could just get human bias to be right 75% of the time.

On one hand, there is agreement. Any time that you introduce the human factor, there is the opportunity for error. The question becomes what error, and when is it introduced. I think that most of us are certain that there is error introduced into the formulation of the rpi.

If you devise a formula to achieve a desired result, that will be the result that you get. From what we saw this year, some things that should have had a major impact on the rpi, assuming a proper formula, had no effect. Thus, we assume that the problem of human error occurred in the formulation, itself.

The fact that some aspects of the formulation were correct resulted in a similarity of some logical consequences simply removes it from random numbers. From a random number, you anticipate a probability of 50:50. A 75% success is barely above random numbers in such a system. If we used a 75% probabilty, we would probably have had such great scientific success that we would have landed in Mesopotamia by now. I hardly think Isabella would have financed Columbus on such a probability of success. The rpi simply didn't provide credible comparisons.

Statistically there is a significant difference in 50:50 and 75% accuracy and you know that. You are correct you would not want to be only 75% accurate when conducting scientific analysis. But enhancing accuracy cost money. To get the needed accuracy for various scientific projects could easily cost three fold or more than a very simple analyis like rankings, political polls,etc.

To compare a simple ranking system to a complex scientific analysis is comparing apples to oranges.

Back