Softball

A tweet from a sportswriter quoting Patty post game"

Patty Gasso on #Sooners national title: "We're championship U right now so if you aren't winning championships you've got to get moving ..."

I'm just going to leave this right here!

Patty Gasso will retire from OU and forever will be known as the softball coach with the greatest number of wins and percentages of wins, and perhaps the one with the most national titles.

She also may well end up as the coach with the most wins and championships in any OU sport history.

Whatever Patty has inside her and the way she injects her players with it, I wish every single coach at OU could do that. It is just incredible.

She's got a LONG way to go on championships.

Yep, she's just halfway there, speaking in national terms. Two coaches notched eight each.

And our men's gymnastics coach has eight already and isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

I've got nothing but respect for our gymnasts. They're incredible, but gymnastics championships aren't on par with softball championships.

I've got nothing but respect for our gymnasts. They're incredible, but gymnastics championships aren't on par with softball championships.

Given that there are fewer schools competing, that is a reasonable stance. But the post being responded to said, "She also may well end up as the coach with the most wins and championships in any OU sport history."

Given that there are fewer schools competing, that is a reasonable stance. But the post being responded to said, "She also may well end up as the coach with the most wins and championships in any OU sport history."

I know that quote isn't accurate. Just saying that what Gasso is doing isn't any less impressive.

Not sure what you mean by accurate. I wrote it.

I do realize Patty has a ways to go, but it is conceivable with the team she has put together, this year and next or even the following year she could reach 7. That's a hard feat, but not impossible -- at least not for this team.

Not sure what you mean by accurate. I wrote it.

I do realize Patty has a ways to go, but it is conceivable with the team she has put together, this year and next or even the following year she could reach 7. That's a hard feat, but not impossible -- at least not for this team.

It's absurd to think she'd catch Mark Williams. The odds are that he'll have increased the gap by the time he leaves. She could extend this back to back to eight years, and she'd still probably be trailing him.

A tweet from a sportswriter quoting Patty post game"

Patty Gasso on #Sooners national title: "We're championship U right now so if you aren't winning championships you've got to get moving ..."

I'm just going to leave this right here!

Stoops took it to heart and retired. LOL

Except that fewer schools means greater concentration of talent on the top teams.

Can't compare. Coaches Williams, Kinder and Gasso are all great. Coach Hybl too. Spring in Norman is full of quality.

This time last year, we were basking in the glory of a national title based on four freshmen and four sophomores. When the pre-season polls came out, we were so far above the rest that (was it FloSoftball or ESPN?) they virtually created another board for OU, with the remainder of the field at the bottom as an afterthought. We were young, and we were good. This was to have been a walkover.

Well, we had a couple of injury-related surgeries. Lowary came in as a refugee from Mizzou. We weren't sure who was to replace Miller and Self. We just weren't coming together as a team. We had a lot of balls in the air at the same time.

Then, conference season began. Knighten, who had one home run at the time, went on an epic journey to demonstrate how much better she was than the other power hitters in the conference. If 2016 had been the Iliad, 2017 had become the Odyssey. Now that it is all over, you look at where we ended, and it is a lot closer to where we thought in January than what was apparent on April Fools.

Ultimately, the various elements came together, and we found ourselves, once again, as a group of sophomores and juniors, with a couple of freshmen, who had exceeded expectations. It is as if all of the stuff we learned in between had been nothing more than clutter that distracted us from the reality that this team was, ultimately, the best team in college softball. The concerns over a few one-run losses, an rpi that kept giving us information that made little sense, the general impression that our schedule had not been as strong as those who rose above us. Yet, the Super-Regionals and College World Series tended to render all of that as non-productive chatter.

Now, we are back where we started. Once again, we look at the fact that we lost only one senior (two last year), and everyone projects that we will be right back here as the favorite in 2018. It's almost like 2017 didn't happen.

This time last year, we were basking in the glory of a national title based on four freshmen and four sophomores. When the pre-season polls came out, we were so far above the rest that (was it FloSoftball or ESPN?) they virtually created another board for OU, with the remainder of the field at the bottom as an afterthought. We were young, and we were good. This was to have been a walkover.

Well, we had a couple of injury-related surgeries. Lowary came in as a refugee from Mizzou. We weren't sure who was to replace Miller and Self. We just weren't coming together as a team. We had a lot of balls in the air at the same time.

Then, conference season began. Knighten, who had one home run at the time, went on an epic journey to demonstrate how much better she was than the other power hitters in the conference. If 2016 had been the Iliad, 2017 had become the Odyssey. Now that it is all over, you look at where we ended, and it is a lot closer to where we thought in January than what was apparent on April Fools.

Ultimately, the various elements came together, and we found ourselves, once again, as a group of sophomores and juniors, with a couple of freshmen, who had exceeded expectations. It is as if all of the stuff we learned in between had been nothing more than clutter that distracted us from the reality that this team was, ultimately, the best team in college softball. The concerns over a few one-run losses, an rpi that kept giving us information that made little sense, the general impression that our schedule had not been as strong as those who rose above us. Yet, the Super-Regionals and College World Series tended to render all of that as non-productive chatter.

Now, we are back where we started. Once again, we look at the fact that we lost only one senior (two last year), and everyone projects that we will be right back here as the favorite in 2018. It's almost like 2017 didn't happen.

Agreed and we'll probably be rated near the top, if not the top, when the next season begins. One thing I've learned about this team is they play much stronger as the "hunter" versus being the "hunted". In addition to the early injuries to Knighten and Romero, I think the pressure of being #1 weighed heavily on this team. In Patty's comments she mentioned when this team was being slighted it really got them focused and playing their best. When fans booed when Patty mentioned the 10 seed, she said don't boo, that this seeding really motivated this team and I think we all saw that. They are still good when #1 but not near as good as when they are motivated and slighted. Ask Florida!!!

I would be happier if they came out with contempt next year. We are #1. You are the ones at risk if you don't think so. We will win it again.

Back