Softball

It appears OU has been in a funk since the Baylor series. So I thought I would look at little deeper to try to better understand the problem. The first thing I could identify is Paige Parker's effectiveness.

Paige threw 93 innings in 20 appearances prior to the ISU games. She had a 0.30 ERA and allowed 2 HR's that accounted for 3 of the 4 runs scored against her. In her 7 appearances starting with the ISU series she has thrown 25.2 innings and has a 3.61 ERA. She has allowed 5 HR's which account for 7 of the 13 runs she has allowed.

During that 8 game period the Sooners are hitting .324 and averaging 8 runs/g which is about 1.0 more than their season average. However against the quality pitching of Tulsa an Oregon they hit .093 and scored 0.5 runs/g.

If you go back and look the 9 games against Arizona, ASU, South Carolina (2), Baylor (3), Tulsa and Oregon games where we faced quality pitching we hit .223 and averaged 3.9 r/g. Only Tulsa is not in the top 25 RPI. Oregon on the other hand has faced 21 top 25 teams and averaged 4.9 r/g.

For certain Oregon with 21 games against top 25 teams YTD is more seasoned than OU with their 8 games YTD. Also if you look at remaining games against the top 25 OU has 5 if #25 OSU can remain in the top 25 with Texas, UCLA and OU still on their schedule. Oregon has only 3 against the top teams with all 3 against #2 Washington.

We definitely need Parker to get on a roll ASAP and start hitting the ball against the good pitchers starting today. Oregon State doe not have a really strong ace but the Beavers do own victories over #1 Oregon, #4 ASU, #22 Missouri and #25 OSU (2).

Last edited:
EUGENE, Ore. -- No. 4. Oregon defeated No. 2 Oklahoma 5-0 Thursday to snap the Sooners' 30-game winning streak and 37-game road winning streak.

Oregon (35-7) used two home runs and two RBI singles, all on the left-field side, to claim the win.

Link

OU beat Oregon State 4-0. Scored 1 in the top the 6th and 3 in the 7th. Alo hit #20 for 2 runs in the 7th. Lowary gets the win.

Syd Romero injured what appear to be a thumb attempting to steal 2nd and had to leave the game. Definitely hope the injury was not serious. She would be a major loss both offensively and defensively.

Sooners can ill afford to have Romero out and Knighten limited with her knee.

#3 RPI UCLA sweeps #2 Washington 3-0, 3-2 and 1-0. I expect UCLA to jump
#1 Oregon for the top spot.

NPFP draft has Lowary #1, Parker #6 and Pendley #12. 13 of top 20 are pitchers. Three players each are from OU and Oregon. Two players each from Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, LSU and one each from Alabama, Ole Miss, Tulsa, OSU, Baylor, South Alabama and Texas State.

Ten of the 23 are from the SEC. Also 5 are from the Oklahoma (3 OU, 1 OSU and 1 Tulsa}. So the pros think as highly of the SEC as does ESPN. Interesting! None from Washington, UCLA, ASU and Arizona which probably indicates that their lineups is very young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NPF_Draft

Last edited:
When you consider that the SEC has nearly twice as many teams as the Big 12, those 10 players, compared to the Big 12's six, fall considerably short of spectacular.

When you consider that the SEC has nearly twice as many teams as the Big 12, those 10 players, compared to the Big 12's six, fall considerably short of spectacular.

Very valid point! It is not important but the B12 only had 5 players the 6th was from Tulsa. But the strength of the SEC is in the number of quality teams more so than great teams in their league. They had 5 teams represented in the draft. They just don't have any Kansas and Tech level team.

The draft was a lot about who had senior starters.
Florida (Ocasio, but Barnhill is a junior)
Georgia (Gray)
LSU (Hoover, Walljasper)
Auburn (Carlson)
Alabama (Osorio)
Mississippi (Lee)

Curiously, the Pac 12 didn't have a key senior pitcher. Three of the best were throwins from other 'southern" schools: Rupp of Texas State, Hudson of Florida State, and Watson of Tulsa. They did seem to like OU's seniors.

Very valid point! It is not important but the B12 only had 5 players the 6th was from Tulsa. But the strength of the SEC is in the number of quality teams more so than great teams in their league. They had 5 teams represented in the draft. They just don't have any Kansas and Tech level team.

You're right, of course (about Tulsa). Don't know why I included the Golden Hurricane in my list of players from the Big 12.

Regarding the last sentence of your post, I'm not convinced that a couple of the SEC bottom feeders are all that much better than KU and Tech. I do agree that the teams at the bottom of the SEC routinely play against tougher competition, and that likely helps them become more competitive than they would otherwise be.

You're right, of course (about Tulsa). Don't know why I included the Golden Hurricane in my list of players from the Big 12.

Regarding the last sentence of your post, I'm not convinced that a couple of the SEC bottom feeders are all that much better than KU and Tech. I do agree that the teams at the bottom of the SEC routinely play against tougher competition, and that likely helps them become more competitive than they would otherwise be.

That is the barrier that Patty has to fight constantly and really cannot win regardless how difficult her non-conference schedule is. Even with the talent Patty has I am often amazed at how competitiveshe has the Sooners come tournament time given the competitive environment her team has to play in.

This year the top of the Pac 12 gets to play 12-15 games against the very best while Patty gets 5-6 such opportunities. Much easier for those Pac 12 teams to be ready for the post season. Big credit goes to Patty for a job well done.

Oklahoma

Record: 41-3, 12-0 Big 12

Looking ahead: The Sooners have a three-game series with visiting Texas this weekend. Games are 6:30 p.m. Friday, 1 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday. They open Bedlam play against visiting Oklahoma State at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Looking back: Oklahoma’s 30-game win streak was snapped with a 5-0 loss at No. 4 Oregon. The Sooners then swept Oregon State (4-0 and 8-0) over the weekend.

Link

Sooners win 6-0 on 5 hit shutout by Paige Parker. Alo hits 21st HR. Shay Knighten hits grand slam.

Shay seems to surpass injury. Intentional walks may get Shay some late season RBIs. Good defensive play.

Shay is such a competetitor I am afraid she will hurt herself trying to make a difficult play.

Back